Beach metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Upside,

The waterproof coil is the round one in up to 1 metre of water. The control box is definitely not waterproof. The oval shaped 10 x 5 DD coil is not waterproof. In the dual pack I mentioned in my earlier post you get both. If you got the gold pack and got only the 10 x 5 DD coil you won't be able to dunk it in water and salty wet sand won't do it much good.

Cheers,
Troutman

Saw this on Minelab site.

1493080819_x-terra-coils-comparison-table.jpg

Then if it's not a waterproof coil the 10x5 , minelab should change their instruction manual.

It clearly says on pg52 that the coil is waterproof.

I suspect they have 1 manual for the xterra and every kit gets that manual.

I've seen a guy on YouTube using the 10x5 and he's got it dunked under water . One of the comments says you know that's not waterproof right? -umm , no he probably doesn't!

Had a look at the 705 manual, and the waterproof coil they are referring to is the round concentric coil, not the elliptical gold coil. Page 2 shows the concentric coil as the stock coil for the 705, pictured in the box contents. Being water resistant, the gold coil probably could survive a few brief dunkings, it's just not tested nor guaranteed to keep out water for sustained periods as with the other waterproof accessory coils.

Should be fine though for detecting dry/wet sand, and you will find you will get less falsing on the wet sand if you keep the coil a few cms off the sand anyway. Also most VLF detectors won't run stable enough having the coil dunked in the salt water, main thing is to not go too crazy on the sensitivity. Knock it back until you have minimal falsing from the salt, then run it higher when back on the dry sand for increased performance. :)

Heatho said:
I'm up against them on Thursday, 2 deussesess against the 1 CTX, could be an interesting outcome. :D I've pulled a lot of silver coins from this site, probably 40 silver rings too and 4 gold rings. Gotta still be some nice treasure there among the trash.

All in good fun mate. They'll probably pillage the site. :lol:
sounds like a good fun day or weekend for everyone

Nearly learnt a lesson yesterday. Took the 705 to the park , got a good signal. Digging away , see something metal in there. Grabbed it and luckily didnt get cut, just a minor poke. Dirty old pocket knife with the blade facing up.

It's my first find and taught me a lesson. Careful where your hands are when objects are covered in dirt. :Y:

Upside said:
Nearly learnt a lesson yesterday. Took the 705 to the park , got a good signal. Digging away , see something metal in there. Grabbed it and luckily didnt get cut, just a minor poke. Dirty old pocket knife with the blade facing up.

It's my first find and taught me a lesson. Careful where your hands are when objects are covered in dirt. :Y:
Lucky you got a knife find out of it :eek: I get a broken VB bottles with the cap still attached :rolleyes: and the dirt is full of broken crystals :lol: :lol:
Show us your knife find so we can see the Upside :rolleyes: of slicing a finger and half a thumb off :eek: :lol: :lol: :Y:

Looking for a good beach gold/coin/whatever else you find on a beach (yes I am new to this) that doesn't cost a fortune.

Mostly to be used by myself and the kids.I'm not a water lover so when the wife and kids go swimming i go a hunting(siting under a beach umbrella bores me to death)

So thats the back story. Looking at other post here minelab comes up a lot, the 705 and equinox. around the same price at anaconda. Not sure whats the difference?

Anything else that i can use that is not so expensive that will do the job.People here saying not to buy too cheap one as you will lose interest real fast digging up junk.

Did I say the kids will be using it too?

Maybe I am overthinking it and a cheapo from aldi will do the job?

thanks

Mixo

P.s does anyone actually make their purchase price of their detector back doing this?

Hi mixo the 705 and Equinox are both great detectors but I feel the equinox 600 will be better on the beach my 705 was good on dry sand and I have not had my nox 800 on the beach yet so looking foward to see how it goes
Roy

Hi Mixo the Equinox 600 is a very good beach detector and is fully waterproof to 3m, definitely the best choice for beach work. The 705 is a very good machine still...but it can't handle the wet sand and it's not waterproof like the Equinox is.

cheers

Hi the 600 will suit your purpose down to tee for dry and wet sand

The Aldi will only be good in dry sand you will dig up junk with both machines until you are used to them

Its all part of the learning curve

the garrett is one expensive machine to a nox 600..is it that much better?

I personally was going to get a new land and sea..but so glad I got the Nox..much better discrimination /lots of settings and more depth.
Though the Nox is only waterproof to 3mtrs.Just my opinion though. :Y:

I'm no going scuba diving so 3 mtr is enough. I was thinking about 30 cm in salty water.

the 600 looks the money for beach work, dont know if I ever go to the hills for gold prospecting.Not sure what the 800 offers extra for the beach or parks.

mixo