You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

DigginForGold
29 July 2016 06:10 pm

Hi smile

So what's the deal with camping in state forests in Vic? Can I just camp anywhere? Can I just pull in to any old clearing next to a track and set up camp? I'm talking low impact, low key camping for 2 or 3 nights...basically just a swag next to the car and once I leave you'd never know I was there. I did see other camp sites around the area (nothing too formal, just a short track off the main road type of thing) but it would be handy to be able to set up right by where I plan to have a dig. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

DIY Highbanker / AM Grubstake Sluice / DIY Recirculating Cleanup Sluice < Click there / DIY Miller Table / Plus pans and other tools of the trade smile My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/DigginForGold

PabloP
29 July 2016 06:47 pm

I used your topic name to do an internet search and came up with the following link that may start to answer some of your questions.

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/__data/asset … forest.pdf

Rob

SDC 2300, Xterra 705, GPZ 7000

DigginForGold
29 July 2016 07:51 pm

Yeah I saw that. In minimal impact camping section it says to stick to existing campsites rather than create a new one. But I dont want to "create a new one"...as I say it will be left as I found it. In the where cant I camp section it says that in some reserves you must camp in designated areas. Does that imply that in others I dont have to stick to designated areas?

DIY Highbanker / AM Grubstake Sluice / DIY Recirculating Cleanup Sluice < Click there / DIY Miller Table / Plus pans and other tools of the trade smile My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/DigginForGold

PabloP
29 July 2016 08:35 pm

If I came across a sign saying to camp in designated camp areas then, that is where I would camp, but if they don't have such areas &/or signs and especially if you are free camping with zero impact on the area, then you should be ok.

For example at Waanyarra although there is a camp ground with limited facilities, I have been working at times several KMs away and camped on site, because I have a fully self contained campervan (don't even have to get out if raining), but have also used the camp ground when there with others.

Rob.

SDC 2300, Xterra 705, GPZ 7000

Chuky boy
29 July 2016 09:26 pm

I just camp where ever I want in state forests in vic. No one ever seems to bother me. And it's ideal to be setup on the goldfields for a night detect wink

Last edited by Chuky boy (29 July 2016 09:41 pm)

GPX 4500, SP01, 14 x 9 Elite and 15 Evo

2 users like this post: Chewy, goldengoose

DigginForGold
02 August 2016 04:03 pm

Cheers. That's what I figured. I think I should be right to give it a go.

I've been quite sick for the last few days but I think Im going to head out tomorrow for a couple of days...will camp out in the State Forest. Fingers crossed I dont get bothered smile

SteelPat
02 August 2016 05:08 pm

I do the same as Chucky - pick a good spot and park up for the night. Must be due for an overnighter soon. Nothing better than wandering the bush at night looking for yellow.

Manufacturer of the steelPHASE Audio Enhancer, GPX4500, Equinox 800, Eureka Gold, Minelab Pro-Find 25, numerous experimental detectors/circuits and coils. (Another GPZ7000 in the future)

2 users like this post: Chewy, Chuky boy

SCROUNGER
02 August 2016 06:09 pm

Yep state forests are ok to camp anywhere basically. And if not they will be signposted stating otherwise, but this is a rarity and usually because of heritage listing or because of endangered native animals in the immediate vicinity etc.

goldtruck59
02 August 2016 06:46 pm

SCROUNGER wrote:

Yep state forests are ok to camp anywhere basically. And if not they will be signposted stating otherwise, but this is a rarity and usually because of heritage listing or because of endangered native animals in the immediate vicinity etc.

yep agree with Scrounger. State forests are all yours to camp in responsibly. Enjoy and find some yellow mate

GT smile

PX Ranger Super Cab , GPX5000, Dog called Nugget, wife called boss.
From Near Bendigo

1 user likes this post: Chewy

DigginForGold
02 August 2016 09:07 pm

Fantastic smile Heading off tomorrow morn for one or two nights (tis going to be pretty cold so I might only be able to hack one night haha...we'll see)

1 user likes this post: goldengoose

Caconym
05 December 2018 10:58 pm

Holy Zombie Thread, Batman!

I'll be heading down to Melbourne to visit friends in early January and was thinking it would be great to take my new detector out for a spin (I'm a noob; my first detector is in the mail). I thought I'd take my mate with me since he's never been camping before, and he's said he's keen to see what it's all about.

Does anyone know if Wombat Forest is specifically signposted to camp only in the designated areas, or if it's okay for us to just pitch tents where we find a nice spot? I have tried searching online but haven't found any useful info.

Will you search through the lonely earth for me?
Climb through the briar and bramble? I'm waiting for you.

Flatlander
06 December 2018 07:27 am

I got moved on near kingower last time when me and the missus were there in the van so we just went to the sports oval ,it was a state forest but endaged funa etc we were self contain van

Occasional_panner
06 December 2018 08:33 am

Flatlander wrote:

I got moved on near kingower last time when me and the missus were there in the van so we just went to the sports oval ,it was a state forest but endaged funa etc we were self contain van

Never heard of that happening.
Who asked you to move on?

Was there any signage re endangered fauna/flora?

Re camping, use this to find state forests http://mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/MapShar … cale=en-AU
Forests you can camp where you want as far as I know.

Don't worry me with your problems, I have enough of my own.

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

Redfin
06 December 2018 09:17 am

Occasional_panner wrote:

Never heard of that happening.

Ditto, I've been camping in State Forests in the GT for over 20 odd years.

Research where you wish to detect and camp on it.

1544048214_a011.jpg

1544048233_a031.jpg

Det used - Whites 6000D, ML SD2000, ML SD 2001, ML SD 2200D, Garrett Infinium. Minelab SDC 2300. Minelab GPZ 7000.
Current Det - Garrett ASD Groundhog. . Minelab GPX 5000. Minelab GPX 4500.

5 users like this post: stoyve, 7.62marksman, RM Outback, Mackka, Jaros

Flatlander
06 December 2018 10:54 am

It was state forest fella in a Landcruiser ute i think there is a sign few k,s back towards the cricket oval but saying i parked right next to road as i worked for the local council i think there,s a law say that were allowed 1 chain in to scrub maintain road and edges so its common ground ..?? Believe u me i was going to have a discussion with him ,but what do u do they should know what the rules r !! So resepect and trust...... im probably going there in the next few weeks so take some pictures etc and post but might ring them u got me thinking because there nothing better hopiing out of van an turning machine on and walking back just have a cuppa

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

Flatlander
06 December 2018 11:00 am

I just had a look its classed as kingower state park not a forest, the forest is over the road but can prospect there in that part of park

Last edited by Flatlander (06 December 2018 11:06 am)

condor22
06 December 2018 12:09 pm

North of the bitumen at Kingower is State Park (part of the Kooyoora SP) and camping is not permitted other than at the Melville Caves camping area.

South of the bitumen is State Forest and other than private property you can camp where ever you like.

In general terms, National Park and State Park are controlled camping, State Forest is camp anywhere.

You need to check your maps or Parks Web to know which is which smile

3 users like this post: RM Outback, Flatlander, Mackka

MegsyB007
06 December 2018 02:41 pm

I've heard that the locals at Kingower are rather "protective" of the goldfields there.
As in, one guy had a gun pointed at him when he asked for permission to detect on private property.
Be particularly careful in that area. Check where the claims are and don't accidentally go on them!

Do the right thing and stay safe!

Cheers,
Megsy

The Australian bush - love it - take care of it.

Occasional_panner
06 December 2018 03:03 pm

MegsyB007 wrote:

I've heard that the locals at Kingower are rather "protective" of the goldfields there.
As in, one guy had a gun pointed at him when he asked for permission to detect on private property.
Be particularly careful in that area. Check where the claims are and don't accidentally go on them!

Do the right thing and stay safe!

Cheers,
Megsy

Jeez, if he was only asking no bloody need to have a gun shoved in your face.

That's highly bloody illegal, hope he reported that to the cops.

MegsyB007
06 December 2018 08:59 pm

It was someone on this forum who wrote about it - I can't remember who it was though.
And yeah - totally unnecessary when he was doing the right thing and asking for permission. mad

Occasional_panner
07 December 2018 06:59 am

Redfin, in post no 14 top pic, is that a big stack of beer slabs I see?

Nice work perfect thumbsup

Redfin
07 December 2018 08:21 am

Whilst I do have a reasonable thirst, it's not that big.

Det used - Whites 6000D, ML SD2000, ML SD 2001, ML SD 2200D, Garrett Infinium. Minelab SDC 2300. Minelab GPZ 7000.
Current Det - Garrett ASD Groundhog. . Minelab GPX 5000. Minelab GPX 4500.

MegsyB007
07 December 2018 09:17 am

Redfin, that second photo is great! It has the look of a Frederick McCubbin painting to it.

Replace the modern camp with an old diggers camp and it could be his perfect subject to paint!

1 user likes this post: grubstake

Flatlander
07 December 2018 09:51 am

Quite the opposite for me after conversion with a local he give me landing rights on his property it was a shame i leaving that arvo but i strike him again

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site