Camping in State Forests (Victoria)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi :)

So what's the deal with camping in state forests in Vic? Can I just camp anywhere? Can I just pull in to any old clearing next to a track and set up camp? I'm talking low impact, low key camping for 2 or 3 nights...basically just a swag next to the car and once I leave you'd never know I was there. I did see other camp sites around the area (nothing too formal, just a short track off the main road type of thing) but it would be handy to be able to set up right by where I plan to have a dig. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Yeah I saw that. In minimal impact camping section it says to stick to existing campsites rather than create a new one. But I dont want to "create a new one"...as I say it will be left as I found it. In the where cant I camp section it says that in some reserves you must camp in designated areas. Does that imply that in others I dont have to stick to designated areas?

If I came across a sign saying to camp in designated camp areas then, that is where I would camp, but if they don't have such areas &/or signs and especially if you are free camping with zero impact on the area, then you should be ok.

For example at Waanyarra although there is a camp ground with limited facilities, I have been working at times several KMs away and camped on site, because I have a fully self contained campervan (don't even have to get out if raining), but have also used the camp ground when there with others.

Rob.

Cheers. That's what I figured. I think I should be right to give it a go.

I've been quite sick for the last few days but I think Im going to head out tomorrow for a couple of days...will camp out in the State Forest. Fingers crossed I dont get bothered :)

Yep state forests are ok to camp anywhere basically. And if not they will be signposted stating otherwise, but this is a rarity and usually because of heritage listing or because of endangered native animals in the immediate vicinity etc.

SCROUNGER said:
Yep state forests are ok to camp anywhere basically. And if not they will be signposted stating otherwise, but this is a rarity and usually because of heritage listing or because of endangered native animals in the immediate vicinity etc.

yep agree with Scrounger. State forests are all yours to camp in responsibly. Enjoy and find some yellow mate

GT :)

Holy Zombie Thread, Batman!

I'll be heading down to Melbourne to visit friends in early January and was thinking it would be great to take my new detector out for a spin (I'm a noob; my first detector is in the mail). I thought I'd take my mate with me since he's never been camping before, and he's said he's keen to see what it's all about.

Does anyone know if Wombat Forest is specifically signposted to camp only in the designated areas, or if it's okay for us to just pitch tents where we find a nice spot? I have tried searching online but haven't found any useful info.

I got moved on near kingower last time when me and the missus were there in the van so we just went to the sports oval ,it was a state forest but endaged funa etc we were self contain van

Flatlander said:
I got moved on near kingower last time when me and the missus were there in the van so we just went to the sports oval ,it was a state forest but endaged funa etc we were self contain van

Never heard of that happening.
Who asked you to move on?

Was there any signage re endangered fauna/flora?

Re camping, use this to find state forests http://mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/MapShareVic/index.html?viewer=MapShareVic.PublicSite&locale=en-AU
Forests you can camp where you want as far as I know.

Occasional_panner said:
Never heard of that happening.

Ditto, I've been camping in State Forests in the GT for over 20 odd years.

Research where you wish to detect and camp on it.

1544048214_a011.jpg

1544048233_a031.jpg

It was state forest fella in a Landcruiser ute i think there is a sign few k,s back towards the cricket oval but saying i parked right next to road as i worked for the local council i think there,s a law say that were allowed 1 chain in to scrub maintain road and edges so its common ground ..?? Believe u me i was going to have a discussion with him ,but what do u do they should know what the rules r !! So resepect and trust...... im probably going there in the next few weeks so take some pictures etc and post but might ring them u got me thinking because there nothing better hopiing out of van an turning machine on and walking back just have a cuppa

I just had a look its classed as kingower state park not a forest, the forest is over the road but can prospect there in that part of park

North of the bitumen at Kingower is State Park (part of the Kooyoora SP) and camping is not permitted other than at the Melville Caves camping area.

South of the bitumen is State Forest and other than private property you can camp where ever you like.

In general terms, National Park and State Park are controlled camping, State Forest is camp anywhere.

You need to check your maps or Parks Web to know which is which :)

I've heard that the locals at Kingower are rather "protective" of the goldfields there.
As in, one guy had a gun pointed at him when he asked for permission to detect on private property.
Be particularly careful in that area. Check where the claims are and don't accidentally go on them!

Do the right thing and stay safe!

Cheers,
Megsy

MegsyB007 said:
I've heard that the locals at Kingower are rather "protective" of the goldfields there.
As in, one guy had a gun pointed at him when he asked for permission to detect on private property.
Be particularly careful in that area. Check where the claims are and don't accidentally go on them!

Do the right thing and stay safe!

Cheers,
Megsy

Jeez, if he was only asking no bloody need to have a gun shoved in your face.

That's highly bloody illegal, hope he reported that to the cops.

It was someone on this forum who wrote about it - I can't remember who it was though.
And yeah - totally unnecessary when he was doing the right thing and asking for permission. :mad: