A Few Of Guessologists Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1541649604_1.jpg

1541649647_3_1.jpg

1541649668_3_2.jpg

1541649696_5_1.jpg

1541649717_5_2.jpg

hello all , I found these stones and got no clue what they are, I go for long walks and do pick whatever I find, these are the results lol

Jaros said:
Guessologist said:

How did that happen??

Just through long time fatigue of the plastic, I probably could have stopped and tried to fix it up but it's becoming a lost cause. The central mould seam inside the arm split several months ago and has been letting the plastic flex. I used to superglue it back together but I got sick of doing that every other week. Over time other parts have just fatigued to the point of failure, hence the gaffer tape and hose clamp. They certainly work well for the price point but aren't made with durability as a top priority! I never intended to relic hunt as my main style of detecting, hence the GMT but over time it's been seeing less action. I don't think I want to get rid of it, but I certainly want to up my coin hunting capability.

Smoky bandit said:
I think you need to GO FIND a new detector :lol: :Y:

Hopefully I won't be waiting until the EQUINOX for a new machine :perfect:

Guessologist said:
Jaros said:
Guessologist said:

How did that happen??

Just through long time fatigue of the plastic, I probably could have stopped and tried to fix it up but it's becoming a lost cause. The central mould seam inside the arm split several months ago and has been letting the plastic flex. I used to superglue it back together but I got sick of doing that every other week. Over time other parts have just fatigued to the point of failure, hence the gaffer tape and hose clamp. They certainly work well for the price point but aren't made with durability as a top priority! I never intended to relic hunt as my main style of detecting, hence the GMT but over time it's been seeing less action. I don't think I want to get rid of it, but I certainly want to up my coin hunting capability.

Smoky bandit said:
I think you need to GO FIND a new detector :lol: :Y:

Hopefully I won't be waiting until the EQUINOX for a new machine :perfect:
Haha I brought my Nox the day before the last equinox. Lol :)

Hello all, digging remains of history objects, maybe starting a museum would be a great contribution, what the earth has hidden all these years, you are uncovering it guys and giving it a name, location and a history, what a fantastic job, admirable, share these historic finds with the world and maybe some of it will be written in history books, who knows ? maybe you should contact schools and universities and see if they are interested in all that stuff you found? museums? who knows, anyways , have a great afternoon, cheers

Hi Liliane, the blue and green in those rocks look like Copper, are you near a old mine?

Cheers
Kev

Got a fun one this afternoon after I splinted the detector back together. Gaffer tape fixes everything!

1541757489_george.jpg

My favourite site spat out two oldies, one a 1863 penny that should clean up nicely (my Andre's crayons are out of steel wool, wonder how hard they are to refill yourself?). The other I thought was another crusty Holloway token until I cleaned it up a little, definitely a George IV penny. It's in terrible shape despite how kind the soil is to all the other coins I've found there so far and the date is mostly illegible. Given it's state (the worst of the damage is mostly corrosion rather than wear) I reckon it's probably the 1827, I'll have to take a real good look with the scope to see if there's enough left to make a call on that last digit...

Action shot on the George IV penny, it was barely a few steps from where I found the 1863 half penny the other week, I swear the signal wasn't there last time!
1541758256_george2.jpg

Good to see the Go-Find battling on and a couple of older coins for your efforts, any Georgian era coin is a good find. Don't think you can refill the steel wool crayon, I've used up mine a while ago and will require a new set to keep me going. :D

Goldpick said:
Good to see the Go-Find battling on and a couple of older coins for your efforts, any Georgian era coin is a good find. Don't think you can refill the steel wool crayon, I've used up mine a while ago and will require a new set to keep me going. :D

You can get just a 5 pack of steel wool refills from here (think these are the original makers?), can't seem to find more than just the brush by itself elsewhere so I might just have to bite the bullet and grab some. Works out to something like $15 AUD posted.
https://www.nettoyervostrouvailles.com/en/store/shop/5-refills-steel-wool-000.html

The penny is 1826, there's a single small nub of an edge parallel with the termination of the 2 left on the last digit, that fits with the inside of the 6 but can't be part of the 5 or 7 when you start overlaying images.
1541794499_date.jpg

Looks like they changed the design of the steel wool pencil to be rechargeable vs the older type which has the wool poking out from both ends. Thanks for the link.

Just been digging junk for the last couple of weeks, can't get the coil over a coin for the life of me! Found the handle off a turn of the century tape measure though:

1543272665_measure.jpg

Just out of interest, when did brass shoe plates / taps go out of fashion? I find buckets of these and the US detectorists consider them to be indicative of a site dating to the Civil War period, but that's about where the information runs out. I assume they didn't really persist into the 19th century.

1543272931_taps.jpg

Finally broke my coin drought... 1904 threepence from an old house site that hasn't produced a coin for me yet mostly due to severe iron infestation. This guy came up from about three inches of dense clay in a gully overgrown by chinese scrub, tough to swing in but got me away from all the surface tin and iron. The Go Find rang it up as a solid 3 out of 4 (ring, pull tab) which is 9/10 times a .22 cartridge, but the pinpoint mode definitely was telling me it was something else.

1543378953_1904thrip.jpg

And the rest of the stuff from the 40 minute swing, a day without a harmonica reed is like a day without sunshine. The nugget looking thing is star metal (antimony).

1543379008_stuff.jpg

My new toy with it's first coin, the cheapy ebay pinpointer. It definitely needs the tape to shut it up, no volume control! Works as described and would absolutely recommend it for the $40 I paid, or perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones who got one that functions well?

1543379589_gp.jpg

Had an early morning hour at the previous location and turned up a couple more goodies; a 1916 half penny, a lead toy soldier with a little red paint still left, a buckle and a little brass eyelet. Not shown; brass clock parts, the usually array of shotgun cartridges, foil and of course some more harmonica reeds...

1544042207_morning.jpg

The ground around here is just carnivorous when it comes to the copper pre-decs, they don't survive very well unless they are sunbaking. Maybe that's why I'm not finding many these days, yes thats it, the ground's eating them...

golddiggerart said:
Looks promising.....You're getting some nice finds mate....That Thrippy is a beauty. :D :Y:

Yep it sure is! Came up good with a bicarb rub but the other side has some black marking I can't shift. Just need a few more from that site before I'm satisfied, with the amount of relics I'm finding I reckon there's more to be had than two measly coins. Doubt it's been hunted before with the amount of stuff I'm digging.

This morning, a stamped anchor button and an aluminium medicine bottle lid. "Wellcome Chemical Works - over 260 highest awards". According to this site, the number of awards pins the date to 1911-12 fairly solidly:

http://www.whatthevictoriansthrewaway.com/project/burroughs-wellcome-pills-bottle/

1544223339_wellcome.jpg

I've got a mystery object that I need help identifying:

1544301408_thingy.jpg

The text appears to read PAT.APL 16.1867 , can't get my cheap phone to make an image that doesn't look like an oil painting. The feet have holes to be nailed down, and there's a hole in the top end that I suppose something swiveled in.

Just a few things over the last few days, I've been covering ground away from my main relic zones, but it's the kind of GT ground where the detector overloads if you let the coil rest on the ground. At least I know I'll be able to cover it all again later with a better detector and make some more finds!

Couple of buttons, the military is by Rainsfords Sydney:
1544654294_buttons.jpg

Half toasted 1873 threepence
1544654378_1873_rev.jpg

1544654389_1873_obv.jpg

1907 penny
1544654400_1907_rev.jpg

1544654414_1907_obv.jpg

Got permission to detect on our old family vineyard finally, although have only spent about an hour on it due to the extreme heat... Turning up some interesting artefacts already, there's supposed to be the site of an 1890s Mallee root hut in the vicinity of where I've started and I'm sure I'll be able to narrow it down somewhat. 1916 penny, 1898 half penny, 8 dram stacking weight, an early 1900s button, a relatively modern gilded council dog tag and what appears to be an enormous .50 cal lead bullet. Everythings been pounded by 120 years of seasonal ploughing unfortunately.

1545942210_img_20181228_070822.jpg

Latest posts