Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Smokey, that makes sense. I guess it is just the time and effort to learn the new machine.
So for now I think I will scooter over new parks to me with the explorer then go back with the Nox.
Cheers.

Also, if you try and discriminate too much you can miss out on some unusual finds like trinkets and badges etc etc.

The main, but not always, motto for using the NOX I think is SOLID ID's. Good stuff just bangs hard or consistent. 95% of the time.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Also, if you try and discriminate too much you can miss out on some unusual finds like trinkets and badges etc etc.

The main, but not always, motto for using the NOX I think is SOLID ID's. Good stuff just bangs hard or consistent. 95% of the time.

Thanks for that, I will try the solid Id's.

I took the Explorer and the Nox to a building site today that goes back to 1900.
I went over it first with the Explorer and pulled a couple of bits of brass and copper. Then I got the Nox out and started to dig every signal. Well I ended up with a bag of junk and only one $2 coin which someone had dropped digging a trench. lol. (in an area that I had not gone over with the explorer)
So the explorer wasn't lying but the Nox picks up the most signals as I think the Explorer masks a lot.
I did notice that many of the trashy signals with the nox weren't solid. So that is a good tip for next time out.
I have the feeling that someone beat me to it as the owner said someone else asked about having a go but never showed. (I guess he showed at night). :)

Re ( Looks like the 6 coil does not have much punch and runs out of steam quickly.)

Les is that in comparison to the 11" coil or an SDC.

Peter

Oh woah is me. Please be patient and yes I can be hard to live with.lol
I took the Nox800 out to a site today and it was a long gone shearers quarters. I left the Explorer home as I thought I had got the hang of the Nox.
Well there was no EMI and the signals just jumped a falsed all day. sensitivity 18-20 recovery 7-8, gb auto and I used the noise start up as per instructions.. I could get a strong signal say on 22 then when I changed from Park 1 to Field 1 the signal would change to an 18 or 16?
Also there was loads of flat small pieces of tin around, they size that they used to use to repair a floor board. These were constantly giving off signals of 24-32???
The ground was extremely hard so I don't know if this would have made any difference.
Nearly every signal was coming around 18 so I finally gave up after recovering an alluminium toy token at 18-28 signal and a rotted 303 case at 18. I got sick of digging tin at 30-38????
Any ideas please would help.

Not sure if it is related or not, but my friend was complaining the other day about his NOX being erratic, I suggested he do a factory reset and all was okay.

Also, ID's that jump around usually indicate junk. Lead and tin can be a pain but I have always managed to pick out the strong consistent targets over the jumpy ones.

Shape of target can help. 19 is usually my cut off, with the exception every now and then.

Little tip, changing frequencies can let you know how consistent a target will be. If the ID changes after change to single freq, then it is most likely junk.
ID's will change between modes.

Yes as Hayyou has said...Also how do you know there was no Emi...was there a storm brewing in the distance?...Did you have your mobile phone on you? Alot of people have said iPhones cause problems with their Noxes. Best to noise cancel when ever you change modes...Also try manual GB...And remember if your GB is not set to 0 then you need to reset to 0 when you turn on the Nox, it will always stay on the last GB setting used...Minelab says it's not nessasary but imo its Best to GB everytime you turn it on. Also keep you coil cover clean and free from dirt /sand build up..As for the constant 18 tones you could discriminate 18 out and go with the odds like 100000 bits of alloy to 1 possible gold sov or gold ring or even a possible good relic..Or you could just dig it all and remove all the Junk then it can only get better as you go..This is all part of the fun with detecting..Good luck and injoy the experience :) :)

One thing I forgot to mention is that between my last outing and yesterday I did the online software upgrade. I noticed that the depth indicator was more accurate.

goldtrapper said:
One thing I forgot to mention is that between my last outing and yesterday I did the online software upgrade. I noticed that the depth indicator was more accurate.
Yes mate it is..i think it's also a tad more sensitive. :)
Just my opinion though :Y:

LORD said:
Can anyone tell me the TDI number old cartwheel penny rings up as?

I can not remember as I only have ever found one. And it was my very first ever coin find with the NOX.
Need to find more... lol

Good question. I am pretty sure it was in the 30's

Hello guys,
Been looking at getting myself an Equinox 800 but I've heard there have been quite a few reports of them leaking.
Has anyone here had this issue or know anything about the problem?
I was looking at a good all round machine that I could also use in the water at the beach but the leaking problem has me a little spooked.
My only other options would be the Excalibur or maybe the Garrett Sea Hunter but I didn't want just a dedicated beach machine.
If anyone could shed a bit more light on this would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Hmmmm, bugger. I had missed that one on DP.

Yes, there is always warranty...for 3 years at least.

Theyre a great unit and it probably wouldnt put me off getting one. Im probably 2 weeks off it being warm enough to try it in the water where I am.

Latest posts