Any ideas what this is

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colmaca

Colin
Reaction score
anyone know what this may be ?

DPP_0007%201.JPG

different angle

DPP_0008.JPG

The images are still loading for me, over 10MB each :eek:. I'm sure one of the gem guys will be along to identify them for you soon enough.

Understandable, but unfortunately anyone on a less than fast Internet connection will probably leave the page before the images finish loading :(

Images loaded ok for me.
Unfortunately I am a novice and have no clue what it is :8
Only thing is the green is similar colour to copper.
As Nugget said, when some of the gem people log in they will no doubt be able to narrow it down.

Looks a lot like Malachite on Quartz from the pic. Did you find it anywhere near a copper mine.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Looks a lot like Malachite on Quartz from the pic. Did you find it anywhere near a copper mine.

Cheers Wal.

Next to a gold mine :) I don't think they mined copper there only gold .

A lot of gold mines have copper associated ores within them, Malachite is quite often found around the mullock of deep reef mines.

Cheers Wal,

Looks like Malachite to me, Copper ore is often found around gold mines. Attached a piece of fibrous Malachite
1387105545_optimized-img_1340.jpg

Yep
It is malachite - the fine radiating crystals are typical of that mineral where it has space to grow. It will form little "bubble" shaped surface features. This is called botryoidal malachite and when it forms as hard unweathered samples it can be regarded as "gem" malachite. Gem malachite is relatively rare and if well sought after. Nice specimen - dont bash it around to get it out of the quartz.

Araluen

Latest posts