Alluvial gold equipment

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the best equipment for alluvial prospecting. Have moved to cootamundra NSW. Had a recent look around Sofala & sunny corner with GPZ7000 and have come up with conclusion that alluvial gold would be best shot. Thanks in advance.

My advice would be to start with a Super Sluice pan and a few sieves and learn how to be proficient with that, while at the same time learning where the most productive spots are likely to be. Double panning is a good strategy at first. That means panning into a second pan that you can re-pan to check for losses the first time around.

Then think about what equipment (river sluice, highbanker etc) might be worth a look. Be aware that highbankers are a no no in NSW for the time being.

Whatever method you use, it is hard to break even, let alone make some money, but there is a lot of pleasure in learning how to read a creek and gradually accumulating some alluvial gold.

There are gold deposits in the Cootamundra area, and the publication you can get at this link may give you some hints. It may be worth having a poke about in the creeks near known gold locations.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280612169/download

1537417545_cootamundra_gold.jpg

Thanks DrDuck, don't know how you guys find all this info. Have been looking for any info I can find. Worked with old bloke that used to pan in this area so now it's a gold area. Have had a bit of a look around with my GPZ7000 but no joy.
Cheers Jamie.

I was looking on trove the other night and I found an article about gold at a place called "Bongongolong".

I had to look it up to make sure it was a real place! What a funny name!

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/...39/1879/10/18/page/16293687/article/143907507

I have an Angus McKirk sluice they are very good, but expensive. A pan and a classifier are all you need to get started, or build a yabby pump out of PVC and strap on a mask and snorkel if you want to try wet crevicing.

A good strong short crowbar is definitely worth its weight to carry while crevicing.
Mines 600mm but sometime i wish it was that little bit bigger for a bit more leverage :playful:

Dron said:
I was looking on trove the other night and I found an article about gold at a place called "Bongongolong".

I had to look it up to make sure it was a real place! What a funny name!

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/...39/1879/10/18/page/16293687/article/143907507

I have an Angus McKirk sluice they are very good, but expensive. A pan and a classifier are all you need to get started, or build a yabby pump out of PVC and strap on a mask and snorkel if you want to try wet crevicing.

Not sure Angus McKirk can still be sourced from aussie suppliers, that said if they are still available they are a bloody good bit of kit, worth 10x their weight in gold.

i use a rybar which is used for opening big boxed pallets and a dummpy hammer for clay and fencing wire bent into u shaps about 40 cm long with 4 or 5 tyed together with tie wire for bed rock scrape outs made a thing for braking up clay out of 200mil pvc and therded rod and angel allow a stiff brush for sweeping rock and a custom willaby and sives for seperation every areas different and half the fun is making things to work in different areas
good luck :goldpan:

Latest posts