SDC Li-ion battery kit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day All
I should have been more specific when I said battery cap, it s not the battery compartment cap but the positive cap on the end of the batteries and contact with the positive terminate in the compartment,,, any views on the voltage/ amps query on the operation and any thoughts on the benefit of using 18650 batteries

The positive caps on the Li-ions in the kit are large but because of the snugness of the battery holders in the SDC thus little battery movement, I see little chance of the original on-off disease the SDC had. Of course this is assuming the operator inserts the sealed battery cover correctly as helped avoid this "disease" with the original batteries.
But as is normal it will take time and use to work out the pros & cons to this upgrade. I am currently in this gold season busily swinging the Z19 and thus not devoting time behind the SDC to positively and practically work out the go, but I will.

In regards to the mention that the possible increase of sensitivity the Li-ions give is perhaps a placebo effect, the very experienced user when I mentioned this to him asked what 4M, I wont mention what he renamed the P in PA to, but he did it instantly and without cracking a smile then broke down giggling. Things that amuse us.

Well if he's so smart & amused ask him how the extra voltage gets through the regulator to make more sensitivity at the coil? Then ask him to test said sensitivity with both types of batteries & see what the result is.
These kits aren't new Norvic. You haven't stumbled onto a break thru here. They were discussed on this forum several months ago & a member here used them in WA last year. He found no apparent increase in sensitivity (although its advertised) but they did last longer. They've been available for over 12 months.
I don't know why you'd even mention that this very experienced user renamed this forum so he could giggle like a school girl? Maybe just looking for a bite or trying to cheapen others input/opinion here? I've got hundreds of hours up on the SDC & in my experience the sensitivity never changed regardless of operational battery level - high or low. The internal regulator does a good job until voltage drops under the required minimum input voltage & the SDC shuts down.
For the record if I still owned an SDC I would have li ion batteries for it. The advantages for me would be more run time/less charging & fewer batteries to maintain + carry. I would be surprised if extra sensitivity could be positively proven. Others couldn't but then we are mere mortals of less experience & PA members to boot.

I don't know how many hours you need on an SDC to become a "very experienced user", but I've owned one since the first month that it was released..... Making claims about extra sensitivity from these batteries is a pretty far stretch. If someone thinks they are getting more sensitivity and it makes them feel good then that's great. ;) It's good that they offer some extra detecting time before recharging but I can't really see them offering much else.

Also the claims of "smoother audio" and "improved stability" is errr a bit more of a far stretch as well. The internal audio circuit is not going to become magically "smoother" with these batteries. None of these claims are backed up by any data.

I reckon placebo effect as well.

Just found this again also. Posted on a discussion I was involved in September 2016. Minelab reply was to adrian ss on 4umer.

Minelab Service Dept said:
As youll be aware the voltage range of 2 x Li-Ion is different to 4 x C cell alkalines, in particular the upper voltage will be about 8.4 rather than about 7V max.
We have not tested the SDC at this Voltage level so I would suggest that you are doing so at your own risk & voiding Warranty if your Detector fails.
Regards,
Customer Service

I know a lot of very experienced users aren't concerned by warranty & a lot are now out of warranty but the above is food for thought if you are. As said this was from Minelab in Sept 2016 so they may have changed their stance - I doubt it. You would need to contact them & confirm yourself if your concerned by warranty.
As I said above if I still owned my SDC (which would have been very close to out of warranty now) I would be using li ions. Heard of no failures due to their use since the above was posted but a new machine with 3 years warranty..........

Heh I am just not negative about the suppliers claims unless I know from personal use, and even then the market decides. I made a quid myself manufacturing portable refrigeration for 20 years thus I will always support the one who is having a go. I know the user is very experienced behind the SDC with the Li-ions, has had them for all this season, does it for a quid. That isn`t easy to do with any detector never mind a SDC with its coil size, regardless he knows his stuff.

Does anyone know what the voltage regulation in the SDC is pegged at, but I suspect as before the answer is more to do with voltage stability over the discharge cycle regardless of a varying current draw as per a detector experiences from going from signal to no signal? Whoops posted whilst Mbasko was posting, yeah true warranty is not really an issue, in fact other then coils I have never had a warranty claim with ML.

I tried to find out more on the regulator last year Norvic but couldn't get much info.
From above its obvious Minelab hadn't tested or weren't comfortable with input voltages as high as 8.4v.
The best I could figure was that the shutdown input voltage must be around 4.0v +/-.
It must be regulated to output above that & I assume it could be a step up/step down type regulator? Maybe 6.0v???
Operational input voltage from what Minelab has said or tested 4.1v +/- to 7.0v - obviously it still works over that but I wonder just what the high end voltage rating is. They aren't saying? Maybe 12v - any beta testers keen :lol:

I have a number of 18650 batteries, 4 at 2600mAh and a couple at 3500mAh for my torch and headlight. Out of interest I charged all of them to full and let them rest overnight. The next day, I checked them on my multimeter and all showed between 4.05 and 4.17 volts.

I then put one of the 3500mAh (4.17V) in the torch, switched it on in high mode for 10 minutes. The 2600s that came with the torch state approx. 2 hours runtime on high and the torch is fitted with a low voltage cut out to protect the batteries from going dead flat. so a bit over 1 amp per hour, so I guestimate that 10 minutes run time used approx. 0.2 amps.

I switched the torch off, immediately took the battery out and put it on the voltmeter. The reading was still 4.11 volts. Now, I know that the voltage is at no load and that under load it will reduce and by how much is load dependent, but I can't check the load volts. :)

It does mean that the start up voltage in the SDC is still a little higher than 8 volts.

Given that my SDC is only 12 months old, I'm not risking stuffing the warranty and will continue with Nenad's Accupower C cells and the Minelabs as spares.