Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Smokey.
So looks like the reason no one finds the sovereigns is they register as bottle caps.
Looks like I have to dig a lot of bottle caps. lol

Lesgold said:
Hi Folks,

Pinged a couple of small bits with the NOX this afternoon.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2063_5c7c2871-2570-44ae-9655-ce7d84d7a623.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2082_a4fde5eb-ce98-4fed-b33b-28d4b2d04cc1.jpg
Before digging, I checked with the SDC to compare signals. Both gave a sweet sounding tweet on the blue stick. A few other small pieces were also picked up by the SDC. Two of them did not upset the NOX at all. Looks like the 6 coil does not have much punch and runs out of steam quickly. I am also finding that you need to take greater care with the NOX to cover ground thoroughly as the machine only picks up a signal when the nugget is very close to the centre of the coil. The SDC will often have a slight whisper in the threshold before the coil hits the target and allows you to investigate further and zero in. Will keep you posted as I learn a bit more.

Cheers for now.

Les
Hi Lesgold
Do you think the 6inch is only picking up the gold close to the centre of the coil because the recovery is high.
Do you think it should/would widen the signal if recovery was turned down.Just a thought :Y:

I used an Explorer for 15yrs and loved it.
When I picked up the Nox 800 and got it out of the box I was very dissappointed. It is not ready to go out of the box. No charger supplied and my simple mind had trouble pairing the headphones.
So first time I took it out I was useless and got the explorer out. Then I ran into a backpacker at the beach with one and he told me he had the same problem and it was due to sensitivity being too high. That got me going and I found a few coins and tiny bits of coke can.lol
So back home and reading up through the forum I have been able to get the Nox to work well and I have a 6" coil for doing those extremely trashy areas under verandas of old houses and it works a treat with recovery up to 8.

Thanks GT for your info, does the Nox come with a Charger, or do you have to buy separately to charge the Lithium Batteries?

The vid below shows a US User doing a Trashy area with the standard coil and a probe (ML???), my thinking is to use the 6 inch double D in a Trashy area in the goldfields where I will leave the 7000 in our LCruiser.

Any probs with the loose shaft?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8j-RhoYiM

Peter

It comes with a cable only that plugs into any usb cable charge I had a few doing nothing at home left over grom phones so did not wory me and when I picked up my nox we where on a road trip so it just pluged into my phone charger
Roy

Any 5v 2amp USB charger will be suitable Guys.
As for the shaft I took mine apart and put a bit of black sikaflex at the joints....reassemble then tighten and wipe of excess...let dry over night...its strong and flexible and has worked well, especially if you dont need to disassemble.But you still will be able to if needed. :Y:

Hi Sb re ( black sikaflex at the joints....reassemble then tighten and wipe of excess...let dry over night...its strong and flexible and has worked well, especially if you dont need to disassemble.But you still will be able to if needed.)

I thought sikaflex was like Super Glue (with more body) once stuck you cannot undo. Or are you using a special type of Sikaflex I understand they have numbers depending upon the application.

PeterInSa said:
I'm going to buy a Nox 800, This review below highlights the loose shaft has anyone come up with a Fix?

Also have seen a Utube on a 6inch DD Coil for the Nox any comments on this coil

Thanks

Peter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4swFG7rvQA
hi I was using a 705 unboxed the 800nox charged it up with a phone charger read the book online and off I went I don't have any problems with a loose shaft after about an hour I sorted out the tones a few pa members had said to run the sens down a bit never looked back top machine worth ever cent

I cashed in $768 in goldies a week ago from my Nox 800. Right now I was just cleaning a handful in the bathroom sink much to my missus delight. ;)

1543738911_8bfe7bae-57af-4834-a5e5-6a44cf3ee8ce.jpg

I have not bothered with the smaller denomination spendables, most are too dirty to go through the counting machine. Ill grab a tumbler one day.

Yes the shaft could be better, I look at detectors like the Nokta Impact or even the Quest Pro and wonder why Minelab didnt put a bit more thought into the quality of the shaft. Maybe just weight over aesthetics and sturdiness.

You can swing the Nox all day its really nice and light, you have the option of upgrading to a diy carbon fibre shaft and quality camlocks if need be or there are some online already made.

I just wish I saw more pre decimals, I think CTX kid has beat me to most of them around here. I probably get 50 modern coins to the pre decimal.

Its paid for itself by now. I have not kept an exact tally. I shrug when some folks say they dont like the machine.

PeterInSa said:
Hi Sb re ( black sikaflex at the joints....reassemble then tighten and wipe of excess...let dry over night...its strong and flexible and has worked well, especially if you dont need to disassemble.But you still will be able to if needed.)

I thought sikaflex was like Super Glue (with more body) once stuck you cannot undo. Or are you using a special type of Sikaflex I understand they have numbers depending upon the application.
Hi mate there are many types to choose but I used the marine one... drys like silicone..Sticks well to everything :)

Well a couple of days ago I took the Explorer II to a park and like all the parks around here the scooter boys had been through and left only 1 goldie which sung to the explorer. I also took out a few 50c and 20c pieces.
Today, err I mean yesterday I took the Nox to the same park and as expected not 1 goldie. But I got a pocket full of 5c pieces and 20c pieces whilst I am learning the machine. Not so many 10c yet as I mainly work by tone and I am having great difficulty adjusting to the very limited tones the Nox throws and have to learn the numbers (which is hard for a village idiot like me.lol)
Another thing I am having great difficulty with the Nox in parks is for some reason a lot of beer bottle caps show up the same as goldies but with the explorer I can't remember digging a bottle cap when I thought it was a goldie.
Would I be guessing correctly that the CTX 3030 would be similar to the explorer with tones and ID numbers so you can pretty much tell what you have found by the tone?
I have found the Nox800 to be a very good machine but for certain uses I am at a complete loss with it and basically treating it like a PI machine and digging every target as so many good items throw the same numbers as trash which the explorer does not to the same extent and you can usually tell the difference in tone so I have to use the Explorer. But in high trash areas the nox beats it hands down with the very fast recovery.
Any replies from CTX users that have both the CTX and the NOX would be very much appreciated thankyou.

Once you find a potential Goldie use the Wriggle back technique and watch the numbers.A coin will stay in that 21 22 mark but a screw cap will jump to 22 23 as its leaving the tip of the coil.I did more testing on this on my last hunt and it did this every time it was a screw cap.
Just my opinion and testing though I'm sure others will have found other ways.. :) :perfect:
Good luck.

hAyyoUinAU said:
The odd bottle cap will always fool. But mostly as Smoky said, you can differentiate between the two.

:Y:
Yes that is true.
Unfortunately sometimes it's more than just a few especially those squashed ones :Y:

Latest posts