Ugliest / most beat up detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had an idea for a thread while having a swing the other day - my detector is more or less trashed but it can't be the worst out there, surely? I did a search of the forums and couldn't find any existing threads covering this, so show us what you've got!

Here's the current state of my Go Find 40 - splinted with some pallet wood and liberal amounts of gaffer tape to reattach the broken-off arm cuff end. It's made it about 2x harder to swing with the extra weight. Gaffer tape holds on the velcro strap which you must use due to how shallow the arm cup is, and the control stalk no longer locks in so it's just flopping. The whole point of the Go Find is that it's lightweight and fully retracts - doesn't really do that any more! I could get some replacement parts but I think an upgrade is more sensible - the recovery speed is killing me and I would benefit from some more information about what's under the coil.

1543275026_gf40.jpg

The Go find detectors work ok for coins but they are so flimsy and fall apart easy. They will also make you dig a lot of ring pulls and bottle tops that better detectors will discriminate out. You will benefit greatly with recovery speed if you buy a decent hand held pin pointer.

1968falconxt said:
The Go find detectors work ok for coins but they are so flimsy and fall apart easy. They will also make you dig a lot of ring pulls and bottle tops that better detectors will discriminate out. You will benefit greatly with recovery speed if you buy a decent hand held pin pointer.

Yep, I think they are also known for reporting good targets as iron much of the time once you get past about 6", which means I'll be walking over tons stuff I should be digging. Sometimes I can get it to 'lock on' to a high conductor that is giving me iron tone most of the time, I hate to think of how many targets I've walked past because it's only beeped once as iron and I haven't worked it up. There's an Equinox 800 with my name on it once I sort out a few medical bills!

Got the pinpointer sorted, bought an eBay knockoff Garrett carrot a week ago which seems to work alright and do everything I need. Cracked it and bought it after digging a 16" hole for an awesome and really well pinpointed signal that turned out to be a near-surface button that the edge of the coil was picking up!

Latest posts