Please help identify this green and white beauty

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all :lol: I'm new to the site, and a friend of mine would like help with the identification of this beautiful piece that was found ferreted away, hidden and forgotten for many years in his grandfathers shed. It's believed to have been cut from the bottom of a creek on the NSW Mid North Coast. It has a smoothness like it's been water weathered on three sides. It weighs about 8kg. Any information offered would be much appreciated. I'm wondering if it's Cameo Chrysoprase, but I'm a complete novice.

1528377144_20180607_104601.jpg

Nah - a chip off an antique one of these, :D :lol: :D
1528453718_95ec601f-3cd6-4862-8680-ed42ab48f79a.jpg

Story goes: Jack had one in his backpack, but it unbalanced him on his way back down the beanstalk so he ditched it and it smashed into a few bits on impact. Looks like you have found the point of impact :rainbow:

Thank you everyone for your 2 cents worth; and I think you might be referring to the classic Wally and the Magic Weedstalk, that time he met up with Puff the Magic Dragon :lol: :lol: jj ;)

I have resized more photo's of this stunning natural piece, and hopefully it will shine more light and make identification easier. So far in the running we have:

• Green Onyx[/*]
  • Folded Chert[/*]
  • Cameo Chrysoprase[/*]
  • Remnant of Jack's giant marbles[/*]

1528630990_shannon_s_rock_1_20180607_104612.jpg

1528630990_shannon_s_rock_2.jpg

1528630990_shannon_s_rock_3.jpg

They are not really different things (except that the colour is wrong to be chrysoprase). Banded chert, chrysoprase, common opal, onyx, chalcedony, even agate are just names for chalcedony (microquartz) or opaline silica (or both together) that show slightly different colour patterns and colours and thicknesses of banding. Whatever you want to call it, it is a very attractive specimen. Onyx would be a possible alternative name (not concentric enough banding for agate, wrong colour for chrysoprase). I tend to call it chert because it is such a large mass that it looks like it comes from a thick layer of rock (and chert is a rock name, the others are not). If you knew where it came from you would potentially have a very nice facing stone for slabbing.

Hello Kryptokatie I am new here , but after searching it a bit , it looks like agate to me, that is because of the banding of colours and the luster,, I might be wrong I don't know much but check it out. cheers :D
ps- I started a post where you can put your photo and say hi, if you want to, under 'photos of you' go check it out.

I vaguely remember seeing some green and white rock formations on the beach at Port Macquarie many years ago. Perhaps it's from that region of NSW?