Very old ring found at a 1870's dump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
While digging bottles from a very old rubbish pit i found this very old looking ring. It was a little grubby but after a soak in strong hydrofloric acid it came up looking great. As far as i know most rings pre 1900 were never stamped and after 1900 it became law to stamp purity on them.
I gave it a scan under my x terra 705 and it comes up the same numbers at my 22ct ring so um hoping its 18ct or 22ct rose gold.
I will try to find a way to get it tested and post results

Very old 1800's gold ring in the bottle dump!!! by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Yes it looks like rose gold. Great find mate. Take it to a jeweller/apraiser and see what they say. :) :)

Damm, had it tested at Perth mint yesterday, conclusion.... Not gold. Alloy of copper, brass & nickle

Another great find from yourself, well done mate. Every time you post some finds I know it's going to be something drool worthy :D

And I like the style you take your photos in, always on the dark brick with a sprinkle of soil. Works really well :Y:

what colour was it when it first came out of the ground? I found one very similar (same size and same design) it cleans up just the same colour (rose gold) but I think mine is copper

tailormarc said:
Damm, had it tested at Perth mint yesterday, conclusion.... Not gold. Alloy of copper, brass & nickle

Do you mind if I ask how much the test cost please?

goldtrapper said:
tailormarc said:

Do you mind if I ask how much the test cost please?

Its free, went in to ask as if it was gold i could sell so they test for free