QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
We normally do not engage with "Forum Wars " but myself and another person went on a full scale
attack to defend Reg against the absolute vile and disgusting diatribe that I have ever seen.
I have met both Reg and BugWhiskers in person and they are truly delightful people.
I now have a QED myself and owing to also " The Detectorist " actually demonstrating the machine showing it's
potential, I am happy to say that please, DO NOT read any thing negative that you find against this machine.
I really hate crap being thrown around when a lot of it is nothing more than Bull :poop: .
There is a bit of a steep learning curve but when the penny drops on how to run a QED, You will be rewarded
I assure you.
Now, Please, don't involve other forums in here. We keep a very tight reign on such things and I would really like
any one to discuss their findings here in our haloed walls. :gemstone:
hey thanks for all that info, totaly agree 100 percent. is that the show detectorists that you are refering too, or am i misunderstanding as usual lol :Y: :Y: :Y:

LOL,
Misunderstanding you are. :gemstone:
Other internet forum sites,
We do not drag crap into here from there.
The Detectorist is code speak for a fellow that I know personally.
I am protecting his name.

Tathradj said:
LOL,
Misunderstanding you are. :gemstone:
Other internet forum sites,
We do not drag crap into here from there.
The Detectorist is code speak for a fellow that I know personally.
I am protecting his name.
oky doky got ya :perfect:

found mine a breeze to use so far but no gold to show yet, plenty of the other detecting metal bits and bobs though, so it seems working correctly :D

I have a question about the qed are they a tinker about with type detector over a get it out and start using more like your known brands I have heard the qed you are always playing around with them

They are like any other detector.
Learn to use it properly. :Y: :Y:
And for me, I had it humming within an hour.
But, Whack a variable in and learn again.
It is not too hard.
The machine will tell you when it is not happy.
Simple fix.
Practice makes perfect.
And you will be rewarded. :Y:

thanks tathradj I have asked the question I am thinking of buying a nother detector qed or 4500 have read a few things about the qed some real good and some not so but some of the tests on line look pretty good for the qed and half the price

About 4 yrs ago I bought myself a 5k. I am probably not the sharpest tool in the shed but it took me a long time to come
to grips with all the settings, if I ever did. After 18 months of ownership and a 0.13gm bit of gold to my credit I
figured it wasn't real good earnings per dollar value of machine, but to be fair in that time I probably only spent a
total of 40 or so hours of use, so the 5k was passed on to someone who could make better use of it. I had been following
the lead up to the QED and when they became available I purchased one of the early ones from Dean in Dunolly. To this day
I have not regretted my decision. From day one I was getting targets but I am still learning new things about it. Can be
frustrating at times but with perseverance you will be rewarded. Howard the designer/builder is an absolute top bloke and
will go out of his way to help you. No it hasn't got auto ground balance but it makes up for that in other ways like a
readout of the ground mineralisation extent. I think the QED is a real value for money detector and I don't feel as though
I am missing out on anything by not owning one of the more expensive machines.
Cheers

petere said:
About 4 yrs ago I bought myself a 5k. I am probably not the sharpest tool in the shed but it took me a long time to come
to grips with all the settings, if I ever did. After 18 months of ownership and a 0.13gm bit of gold to my credit I
figured it wasn't real good earnings per dollar value of machine, but to be fair in that time I probably only spent a
total of 40 or so hours of use, so the 5k was passed on to someone who could make better use of it. I had been following
the lead up to the QED and when they became available I purchased one of the early ones from Dean in Dunolly. To this day
I have not regretted my decision. From day one I was getting targets but I am still learning new things about it. Can be
frustrating at times but with perseverance you will be rewarded. Howard the designer/builder is an absolute top bloke and
will go out of his way to help you. No it hasn't got auto ground balance but it makes up for that in other ways like a
readout of the ground mineralisation extent. I think the QED is a real value for money detector and I don't feel as though
I am missing out on anything by not owning one of the more expensive machines.
Cheers

Hi Petere ,
Nice to hear such a positive report . Ergonomically very comfortable to operate for long periods .
Where do you detect and what are your finds . Happy hunting .

Cheers
goldrat

Hi goldrat
Yes I forgot the ergonomic bit, nice to not be tethered to your detector all the time. I have spent a bit of time around laanecoorie and wanyarra areas also had a look north of dunolly recently. Don't get to get out that often hence the reason for not wanting a lot of money tied up in equipment. Will be at beaufort around the end of this year camping for a while. Seem to find plenty of bullets lead shot rusty nails boot tacks etc. you name it everything but gold. Anyway I still enjoy getting out in the forests.
Cheers

Has anyone used or have knowledge of the Detec 18 X 12 Monoloop Open Design coil being used with the QED and any results gained. The information on the coil says good for sub grammers up?
Any information would be appreciated.

mine has auto ground balance button, all the new ones have anyway. mine works about 95% to 100% :Y: accuracy.. :Y:

Mine can be a little fiddly at times to settle, but once it is good little unit. Mind you as I only paid $700 with 3 coils second hand I don't have to get much out of it to be worthwhile having :Y:

The latest update to the QED user manual is even better now that includes YouTube links to those instructional videos and extra info such as the Quick Start Guide & Advanced Setup Guide. Since the release of the QED the updates to both the detector and manual has made it a worthwhile option.

Rush said:
The latest update to the QED user manual is even better now that includes YouTube links to those instructional videos and extra info such as the Quick Start Guide & Advanced Setup Guide. Since the release of the QED the updates to both the detector and manual has made it a worthwhile option.
yep pretty professional looking now, on par with all the other major brands, i like the youtube refs, and thhe quick start guide. :Y: :Y: :Y:

When I spoke to Howard the other day he related that QED sales have been quite steady and it seems that people who had the patience to master the machine were getting rewards. The QED is different in a number of ways from the most popular brand, and requires a different approach, but it is surprisingly powerful for such a compact unit. Modern miniaturization has enabled Howard to build a very functional light weight detector that does not need any harness or support system. This is a great benefit at this time of the year. No sweaty, heavy harness, or cumbersome detector with 'cripple' stick. As light and ergonomic as the new generation of VLF detectors, but having that extra PI punch.
I have had a few reports of good QED finds lately, however, the finders are reluctant to post their finds due to the treatment received by James Beatty and myself when we posted some very nice gold recovered by our QEDs. We were accused on more than one forum of fraud, due mainly to the calendar on the camera being incorrectly set. (which is easy to do if you do not place importance on setting that function) One feral forum in particular seems almost entirely devoted to not only rubbishing the QED but making personal attacks on anyone who happens to own one. That particular forum now appears to be in its last death throws. The funny part of that saga has been that some people had their curiosity aroused by such denigration, to the point of doing some research on the QED only to discover that this was a competitively priced and most competent detector. 'Halfwit's' campaign has actually helped the QED gain acceptance. How ironic.

Reg, I do know what happened though, the QED has been given a fair go here and it's good to have someone with your experience with prospecting and the QED here regularly posting but it would be good if we could keep this site as a neutral zone, just saying...

Anyway I agree, the QED is definitely proving itself as a good gold detector.

Yep I posted a few pics of some gold I found with the QED on this forum & never got any negative feedback/comments or accusations of legitimacy here from members!
Don't understand why other QED users on this site wouldn't post finds with it, if they wished to do so, as it's been proven that the nonsense doesn't happen here (or if it did would be removed).
Personally I stopped posting a lot of finds after some other narky comments that had nothing to do with machine brand/type & well before the QED.
I actually copped more flak from some of the QED cliche for posting up some genuine concerns (although minor + some since rectified) & nuances of QED. That led me to ditching it not any anti QED sentiment. So that's a bit ironic too - the fervent QED supporters can also have a detrimental effect on it.
From the recent instructional videos put on YouTube I am more than confident I had a pretty good handle on how to set up/use it so broad swipes at ex-users not mastering it aren't always accurate IMO.

Hello Reg Wilson, would you have knowledge of the Detec 18 X 12 Monoloop Open Design coil being used with the QED? Do you know of any results with it?
I am looking at a QED for trying some open paddocks that had a bit of gold found in them and would like to cover a large area but pick up gram pieces as well as larger pieces down deeper. I have watched some of you videos.
Cheers, Goldtrapper.

Latest posts