Trying To Decide Between

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking for a new detector to search the vic gold fields.
I like the look of the Garrett atx pi extreme, has anyone used it?

Otherwise the minelab gpx 4500 or sdc 2300

If it were you what would you choose and why?
Thanks in advance
Luke

Hi Soulweaver, if it were me I'd get the 4500 or 2300 simply because they are proven machines in the Vic gold fields and find gold very regularly.
The 2300 in more a switch on and go, the 4500 takes a bit more time to master but is more flexible for settings and with different coils you can chase targets of different size and depths.
I have no experience with the atx so can't comment.
If you look through the gold finds section of this forum and see what machine(s) are finding most the gold the answer will be pretty clear in my opinion.

Good luck.

Go the 2300 u find gold with it, but u'll find might only find small gold but its gold ! I've had the go at most of the detectors on the market the 2300 so just so user friendly and it is my favourite

Prospector Pete hit the nail on the head :Y: even if you have to put off your purchase for a while you won't be disappointed, 2300 or 4500. With the 4500 keep in mind you'll spend more to add to your kit as you learn unless you buy a 2nd hand unit with extras. Even then I'm sure you'll still want to add something new as new technology becomes available. With the 2300 there is no option for extra coils at the moment but you will want to set up wireless and signal enhancer to get the most out of it imo.

Thanks all, appreciate it.
I will look more into the 2300 and 4500.
I do really like the look of the 4500, but it is more what works better.

Works best comes down to you.
Both machines will find you gold if you swing over it. The 4500 is flexible in that you can change coils and have a plethora of settings to choose from. You can also customize to your hearts content. It takes more time to learn, set up and is less suitable in overgrown areas due the harness, cables etc to get snagged on. In open areas you can cover a lot of ground with the right coil selection. Ofcourse it has the potential to hit targets deeper. This doesn't necesarily correlate to more finds ofcourse. The SDC is a real bush bashers detector. You can lug it in a small back pack into remote areas and have it set up and running in a second. It's relatively light and little exposed hardware to get snagged on. You don't have the coil options as with the 4500 and that may actually be a good thing. Saves you overthinking things and possibly over spending on aftermarket goodies (guilty as charged) There's a lot more small gold out there than big slugs and the SDC is very good at sniffing it out. That isn't to say it won't find the Next Welcome Stranger if you swing over it, just that you won't be digging to China to retrieve it..or a horse shoe for that matter. I find for a spur of the moment detect I'm more likely to reach for the SDC while for a planned trip with lots of open ground (WA comes to mind) I wouldn't leave home without the 4500 and a selection of coils.

Why dont you hire the detectors and see which you like best. It will also indicate if you like the journey.
Many people buy a detector and decide it is not for them. Or they have expectations of large gold finds.

There are secondhand machines around but find out their age and if they have warranty and genuine.
Warranty is worth a lot when purchasing secondhand.

I purchased a new SDC as it was not much different in price to a brand new machine.
Then purchased a 4500 as I could add different coils and go deeper.

Cheers

HH

HoudiniHarry said:
Why dont you hire the detectors and see which you like best. It will also indicate if you like the journey.
Many people buy a detector and decide it is not for them. Or they have expectations of large gold finds.

There are secondhand machines around but find out their age and if they have warranty and genuine.
Warranty is worth a lot when purchasing secondhand.

I purchased a new SDC as it was not much different in price to a brand new machine.
Then purchased a 4500 as I could add different coils and go deeper.

Cheers

HH

I am hiring the 4500 for three days.
I basically go for two to three day trips once a fortnight.
The hiring also comes with 20min demo to teach how to use the machine.

Plug and play is always going to be easier I.e 2300 but I am one that likes accessories lol I.e 4500.

See how I go Monday to Wednesday and then decide, eventually want to get both.

Area I was in I found gold with xterra 705, so hoping there is more there the 705 couldn't detect.
Still pulled abt 300 bucks of gold out with 705.

I've only ever had a 4500 and it nearly always produces for me.
Won't find anything under around 0.05g, but that's OK with me.
Some of my mates have 2300s, and although they definitely find more nuggets, I generally win on weight!
Wish it wouldn't detect birdshot though!

With the 2300 though, they're generally only shallow holes, so you can carry a small pick.
With my 4500, I carry a large pick and keep a pit bar in the back of the car!

I know absolutely nothing about detectors, yes I own one but never used it.
Wouldn't it be great for some smart individual , preferably Aussie, to invent a variable ( via switch or button) frequency model so you don't have to buy so many detectors.
I would buy one just to support that company.
Just sayin!
Mackka

Mackka said:
I know absolutely nothing about detectors, yes I own one but never used it.
Wouldn't it be great for some smart individual , preferably Aussie, to invent a variable ( via switch or button) frequency model so you don't have to buy so many detectors.
I would buy one just to support that company.
Just sayin!
Mackka

The Equinox can do just that Mackka ;)

Or run 5 different frequencies all at the same time.

Latest posts