River / Stream Sluices - advice, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Single action on one stroke.
Mount two of them opposite to pump on each stroke.
But, Get your lever's right. :cool: :cool:

mudgee hunter said:
Are they double action pumps, as in each stroke pushes water?

A one Tathradj power pump. What does that equate to in horse power? Is it reliable or will it start smoking after about five minutes. Lol. Dont think its made in China. But these days you never know. :) :) :) :) :)

Funny Bugga. :lol: :lol: :p
Yes, I have one with not one,
But TWO pumps.
You just have to work out the amount of lever's and
stroke to not wear your self out.
Little hint.
You can legally use a petrol pump to transfer water to a tank
to then pump out of by hand. O:)

Cheers, The self classifier works well in the 4" as it gets a good push of water.
I can not stress enough how well the simple baffle catchment zone in the first 150mm works! 98% of catchment will be in this part.
No mat, just a bit of bread create suspended 5mm off the alloy....
very similar principal to my banker.....
with no golden rule formula of exact flow/angle.
with the dream mat backing it up.
strip this gurl and have all the material in the pan in under 5mins.
to get this drop zone, it must be fabricated in a similar fashion to the thread link I put above.
Even on a smaller sluice you wont regret it, an realize its simplicity.

1542015846_20180911_173947.jpg

for those in Vic, a simpler header box for a pump can be attached

mudgee hunter said:
I think with todays matting availability. The days of riffles, requiring an accurate flow/angle are going to phase out.
Simplicity is a key for no fuss running. ( opinion)

X2 - here's my effort. Shovel or yabby pump washdirt into the sieve which sits 15mm above the flare slick plate, give it twirl and shake, empty the sieve, repeat...
1542062080_screen_shot_2018-11-13_at_9.17.46_am.jpg

1542062080_screen_shot_2018-11-13_at_9.18.27_am.jpg

yup! made it :8

....hacksawed, drilled and bolted together from bespoke pre folded sections. I adjusted this and that along the way and what you see is version 3. Clearly i have no metal fabrication skills but having a meccano construction set in my formative childhood years finally paid off in a practical way some 50+ years later... :D

My idea was to have an extensive slick area to set up a laminar flow, the raised slick feed onto the mat ensures that the laminar flow is not distrupted and is maintained through to the end of the sluice. Is most efficient without the sieve and just yabby pumping onto the flare slick area.

Good looking unit there mate!
The extra lip folds really help stiffen it up hey.
Good size flare too.
They're never perfect the first veiw outings!
My first banker looked as if it was used as target practice for an M60 with modifications. :lol:

mudgee hunter said:
Good looking unit there mate!
The extra lip folds really help stiffen it up hey.
Good size flare too.
They're never perfect the first veiw outings!
My first banker looked as if it was used as target practice for an M60 with modifications. :lol:

stiff yes :Y: (wont destroy it and my day if I trip and fall on it) but a tad too heavy to carry underarm for any distance with the mat installed.

gunna fashion some "clip on" shoulder straps for it and carry it backpack style methinks...

The mat does tend to add a bit of weight to it I've noticed myself.
I folded up a piece of flat alloy to mine as a carry handle. Bit like a guitar case. Find the centre of gravity and pop rivet it on. But also allow the C of G without the mat, making it longer towards the flare will be required. Or put one on each side, with or without the mat. Back pack the mag. They will end up off set.
1m strips of flat bar alloy are available at Bunnings. Get 2 handles for under $6. Go the 5mm thick if stocked. 3mm second choice.

Latest posts