Landcruiser Mechanic Recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good toyota landcruiser mechanic in Victoria, preferably Melbourne, who can do engine work from rocker gaskets to full rebuilds who doesn't charge anarm and a leg?

My son and i changed the waterpump on my 1999 5vz-fe last week ..cost 2 days of our time and $82.50 for new water pump , gasket and a bottle of marine gasket gooo .. We did the change in the caravan park in Perth with a set of sockets and spanners..
Needed to refit the timing belt (removed to fit water pump) and since doing so vehicle runs better than before..
An engine swap and or rebuild will cost an arm and a leg in a commercial workshop ..if you can do it your self with the help of an experienced friend as i did last year, you can save heaps and depending on where you source the parts / motor i.e reconditioned or surplus from Japan...
This is the mate who helped me switch out the motor last November, took for days work in his front driveway.
1542063105_image.jpg

Did the Timing belt, Water Pump, Tensioners,
idler pulleys in the front of my Prado before
I went to Laanecoorie last year.
Took one full day and while I was in there, installed
a heavy duty 3 core aluminum radiator.
All up cost was about $550.00 in parts.
If you paid some one to do it you would be looking at
well over $1000.00.
One thing to watch and check regularly is the bolt in the crank
that hold s the front harmonic balance r on.
Use a new one if you have removed it with a bit of standard lock tite.
I bought a special socket for it and made a holder to tighten it properly.
The tension wrench I used was 1 meter long and if I remember correctly,
about 180 ft pounds.
Damn it was a bugger to get undone. :awful:

A word of caution when doing timing belts is to make sure the belt is correctly tensioned if it uses a manual tensioner. And replace all pulley's as well as the belt.

And if you're going to pay a shop to do it. Ask what gets replaced. Often people will take the cheaper quote not realizing it is only the belt that is being replaced. Then 10K down the road pay for the whole job to be done again because a pulley is now noisy.

Genuine seals and rubber gaskets are often far superior quality and give less problems.

You will always get what you pay for, which includes the labour.

Just saying. Not wanting to start a :poop: :cloudy:

What K's are on this cruiser? Much blowing out the oil cap off while engine running? Just wondering if the seals have failed from age and/or quality or something else.

Latest posts