Landcruiser Help appreciated

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser that needs a bit of work.

Now I rocked up to view the vehicle on the condition that it was dry with no leaks. It was a fair drive to view but upon inspection this cruiser clearly was leaking oil.

I took it for a drive and the engine seemed good. Its dual fuel so I ran it on both gas and petrol for a bit. Both seemed to work fine. So I got him to knock a couple of grand off the price due to the leak and I took it home.

I was under it today and in fairness it has more leaks than Wikileaks.

I'm considering a couple options.

1. Get some major work done on the engine possibly a full rebuild, she has 300,000kms on her. Get the dual fuel system checked over and upgraded perhaps.

2. Selling it on...my personal favorite but the kids LOVE riding in this wagon and they want to go on a road trip in it.

I'm in Melbournes Eastern suburbs but anywhere within a couple hundred kms is fine by me to get the work done.

So I'm looking for help from anyone who has had engine work done on a landcruiser and can recommend someone who can do the work required for a reasonable amount. Or if someone on the forum is capable of doing such work?

Engines a 1FZFE

Thanks folks!

Hey diggit, oil leaks can be either a major headf*#k or depending on the cause a simple fix. First thing is to track the leak/leaks down and then find a good repairer. Just get the engine/ gearbox cleaned up to find the source of the leak and you might find its not a big expense to fix.
If its a rear main engine seal, then thats a different story.
Good luck with it..... obviously the Suby is no more. :skull:

I'm no mechanic but my experience with gas is I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll. Basically fuel (petrol) is what your engine is designed for, gas to operate efficiently requires the motor to be built specific. Hence most taxi's are Ford and have been known to achieve 1 million k's with good maintenance and the odd big dollar items replaced from time to time and dedicated gas engines. Dual fuel systems in recent times have become more efficient but gas as a primary fuel (generally the dictating case due to price on dual fuel vehicles) tends to create more maintenance than efficiency over extended periods and in the long run can increase maintenance costs. Now exactly where do the kids want to go on that road trip, maintenance and fuel availability are key points before setting off, in some locations (even close to Melbourne) gas isn't an option at the bowser.

Just my opinion above no offence glad you asked the question. So I suppose the question is are you mechanical do you have the tools to get you out of trouble (or into it :lol:) if your answer is yes then fix it and enjoy it, if you answer no take your advice offered in option two. :Y:.

There's more people with more knowledge than I on here like Tathradj :Y: so if they comment communicate with them via PM and you and the kids will be in the hills in no time :Y:. Good luck mate.

before you run around paying an arm and a leg for repairs that may be not needed try this
1: spend the day and degrease everything then high preasure clean (dont forget the rear diff)
2: spend the next day when it is dry and tighten ALL nuts/bolts sump, diff front and rear, T case, gear box, all engine covers, ETC
3: load the kids in and go bush driving for the day
4: drive at least a week checking each day where the leaks are coming from and if they are getting worse
5: gas set up in NSW has a 10 year limit before it needs to be retested so check the date on that
i done the above (except for number 3 and 5 lol) to the turtle and it saved me buckets of money because most leaks were just loose bolts
i do have some quick fixes if you PM me i will let you know and no its not adding anything to the oil to block leaks

Yep as above clean and check .Just one small leak over time can make an engine and gearbox look like its leaking everywhere. :Y:

I would give it a clean and good service including everything that is done for a 100000km service and then see how it goes.

Also use the recommended oil, people think old jap motors need thick oil and that is often the cause of oil leaks.
Swapping to the correct weight oil often fixes the leaks

So did you buy it with a roadworthy?
Is it currently registered?

Ditto as above re degreasing, a few cans, let it soak and a pressure clean at the car wash (avoid anything electrical)

landcruiser rear main seal or sump $600 each all other gaskets that leak oil are cheap and easy to do iwould do a compression check if it down on compression sell it if you keep it remove gas as even with a reco gas head and upper cylinder lubricant ya only get 50000 kms out of head when on gas half the time then $2500 to replace head again good luck ive got the same motor myself they just dont like gas you can get theae motors to put out 1500+ hp check out 1fzfe brian crower stroker kit

Have a look at the filler bolt on top of the gear box, they where bad for cracking the box up top if someone gets carried away tightening them up. Why people tighten them up so tight...? :argh:

Folks thanks so much for your suggestions. You're so helpful :)

Just to point out that Engine has 300 000kms
Vehicle had No RWC
Its got 3 months rego

I had planned to degrease today but I ended up in a meeting, which Id completely forgot about until my phone beeped @ 11am which took up most of the day.
So it will have to wait until tomorrow as Im heading to work now! :(

Bit late now, but maybe get a mechanic to go over it before buying the next vehicle.
As you know by now you'll need the rwc to change registration.

Hopefully it's a simple fix, my shifter gasked leaked at the top of the gearbox, it dripped down bloody everywhere and made it look horrendous, but it's no big deal at all.

Got a surprise today when a mate told me the new 200 series cruiser has a starter that is in a bugger of a position.
Part and labour to replace is $4500..... ouch, I'll stay away from the 200 series.

BTW the 80 is a thirsty beast on fuel. Very capable off road even in factory spec, no mods req'd.

diggit said:
Sheesh $4,500 is a bit steep alright. I have a budget in mind that I dont spending but I really don't want to go over it..

Lucky it's not a 200 series starter motor problem then. Once you know the detail of leaks and problems then you'll know what the cost will be. Truth is with the amount of km's on it and age there will be ongoing expenses to keep it reliable. After major expenses though (if it needs major) like occasional panner said there a reliable bit of kit.