Blasted pull tabs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greglz86

Greg Anderson
Reaction score
Decided to get out the xterra 705 today and hit a local park. Enjoyable day out but these blasted pull tabs are going to be the end of me.
Every single one of them was reading up
anywhere from 6 to mid 30s so I felt obligated to dig them.

1540717017_e67a7343-e337-4189-8ebe-c02b0ebab984.jpg

Who else loves it when you find a cigarette packet or coke can thats been hit with a lawn mower :lol: :playful:

Every spot has its own special varieties of annoying rubbish that gets ya hopes up only to bring them crashing down! I reckon I dug up half a dozen foil milk bottle tops and 2 dozen pesky whiskey and tomato sauce bottle tops at an old farmhouse site today but kept diggin and came up with some good stuff eventually. Sometimes the trash gives a noticeably quieter signal and you can pick the higher volume signals to dig.

Greglz86 said:
Decided to get out the xterra 705 today and hit a local park. Enjoyable day out but these blasted pull tabs are going to be the end of me.
Every single one of them was reading up
anywhere from 6 to mid 30s so I felt obligated to dig them.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...7017_e67a7343-e337-4189-8ebe-c02b0ebab984.jpg

Who else loves it when you find a cigarette packet or coke can thats been hit with a lawn mower :lol: :playful:

Dont worry Greg... we all feel your pain :mad:
This was from a BIG day out earlier this year
1540755540_img_8394.jpg

I am waiting on my battery to turn up so I can use my Aldi Adventure,

Close by their is a small beach, where a lot of people sit and have there lunch,

Plus a lot go swimming there,

Right next to it there is a park,

Then about 10 minutes drive there is another spot like the first spot,

I have never seen anyone their prospecting

Thinking it would be a good spot to hit with the detector,

Goody :)

cool crap hoard :eek:

my crap doesn't make it past the closest bin :)

i keep lead , relic/up market crap , and discriminate out iron :perfect:

Pulled this up from an old post on this forum. Guess I was looking for justification for digging all that crap :lol:
1540898950_8a0f03b5-b97a-4946-bb48-6378fad0bae6.jpg

1540898950_3ba18c05-ce86-4087-9b21-31ad3ab474f1.jpg

a beaver tail ringpull will change if you wrap the tail around the pull, 12.21-3 on a ctx, leave it whole and its a 12.25-8
the tail on it own 12.04-7

modern pulls run between 12.16-19 have seen them at 12.26

this all taught me ages ago that tones are the answer , but sometimes they tone soooooo close , i still dig a lot of aluminum :8

just the other day on an old area , in the middle of an alu patch i got a mad sounding 12.27 solid (solid even under pinpoint) i dug it too great surprise it was a late threepence :eek: anyone with a ctx will know modern thrips are 12.24-5 all day and have an individual sound
moral is there is no avoiding digging crap ;) 8.(

Back to the valley of pull tabs today. Wasnt convinced its been overflogged like some of the locals have told me.
I changed the discrimination pattern on the 705 to reject anything under 20.
Didnt think I was going to have a good chance of finding a gold ring or half sovereign and I was cool with the idea of walking away from 5c and 10c pieces.
Was still picking up older pull tabs but seem to be missing all the newer ones now and they are beginning to become recognisable before I dig them.
The only coin today was a 1966 2c piece. Nothing special but can definitely tell the difference between a coin and a pull tab now.
The pull tabs are a lot more jumpy and can completely change its reading depending on direction of my swing.
The coin was a solid reading and didnt change much at all.
Well, thats todays lesson.

Sounds like you are on the right track regarding the fine nuances in the tones that giveaway certain junk targets, especially if you approach the target from a few different directions to see if there is any deviation in the tone. :Y:

Hello all, about time they made a detector that tells you exactly what is down there with all the technology and improvements they have and can do and not charge so much for them so that at least you detector guys and girls can decide whether to dig or no and not waste so much time and effort for nothing, I would say So!! :D if one day I will decide to buy one, I will make sure it tells me what is what or I am not going to do it :lol:

Latest posts