Rock Collecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been rock collecting along roads parks or anywhere I drive and stop for a break, but I have no idea what they are, I am a newbie to all this, I thought as my kids grew and doing their own thing I can take up a hobby lol :lol:
anyways if you are a rock collector and enjoy doing it like me , let me know what you think of these fotos below
1541657103_1.jpg

1541657128_3_1.jpg

1541657150_3_2.jpg
1541657173_5_1.jpg

I got heaps more but I did not take fotos of them, maybe next time I will
cheers

hello Jaros, thanks , you are the first one to welcome me, how sweet of you , have a great afternoon

Sorry Liliane , :flowers:

Hi and welcome Liliane to the PA,

You will find that most of us on here are a friendly lot,

Goody :)

Hi mate, welcome! :flowers: I also pick up pretty rocks everywhere I go but don't know much about them so can't really help you much with identification. The top photo looks like copper ore and maybe smelter slag to me. Have found similar stuff near old copper mines in WA.

hello Goody2shoes, thanks for the welcome, don't be sorry but I will take the bunch of flowers :D LOL I am friendly and enjoy being a member of your group , the PA ,cheers

Hello Dave79, thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the info too, I still can't understand all that stuff but I will get my head around it eventually, cheers

Hi Liliane,

Welcome to the party. Im sure some of the wizards on this forum will be able to help you out. There is a lot of collective knowledge out there. From my perspective, they look like rocks to me.... Sorry...

Les

Hello Lesgold, thanks for the welcome, and the encouragement, there are very nice people in this forum, I am glad I joined. cheers

Liliane, post under "Your mineral identification questions" (larger individual photos of those you would most like to identify - use the search.

Hunting the Yellow, in Mineral Identification Questions, I put some fotos there, can you please look at them and see if you can help me identify them ? thanks a lot {)

A belated hello & welcome Liliane
I cant answer your identification questions but I find your rocks interesting
I get around a lot in WA & find all sorts of odd stuff
I tend to have an eclectic interest in things other people find mundane or just pass by.
for example, this photo is Soapstone aka Talc (where talcum powder comes from), I picked up on a recent drive to Three Springs where they mine it. Soapstone is Magnesium Silicate Hydrate. I find it interesting because its primarily comprised of 2 very light metals ..Magnesium & Silicon
I usually give rocks I find to my grandson who is showing a keen interest in rocks & geology (he's 7).
1542120325_soapstone-talc.jpg

Hello DedDriver, nice rocks, I pick all sorts of rocks even those no one wants :D sooner or later I will have to sort them out and decide which ones to keep and which ones have to go but not yet I can wait a bit :lol: I need to accumulate more knowledge about them first, like your grand son, I am just learning, but I am sure he will pick it up and will become a miner one day but in a professional way I hope or a geologist working in some big company, cheers , thanks for sharing your knowledge with me :D

Latest posts