Does Anyone Still Use Eureka Golds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
By way of introduction - I have recently joined the forum and own a Eureka Gold. Have been wondering if this is a machine worth persevering with or should I upgrade to a GPX5000?

19.3 said:
Hi Folks,
By way of introduction - I have recently joined the forum and own a Eureka Gold. Have been wondering if this is a machine worth persevering with or should I upgrade to a GPX5000?
update , it will be a steep learning curve , but a worthy one :Y:

Welcome to the forum 19.3. This time last year I was still using a Eureka Gold. It took some time to find my first bit (over four years I think) and I really had to work hard to learn to use this detector in tough mineralised ground. But eventually I began to enjoy some regular successes and found over one hundred small bits in nine months, detecting, going out around about once a week. I have now expanded my range of detecting tools to include an SDC 2300 and it is also finding small bits (about 60) since I started using the SDC last October. I have kept the Eureka and I have used it a few times because it is still a very useful piece of equipment. It can discriminate targets which is handy around some junky reef areas, also it is really good at picking up small specimens that the SDC cannot detect. Even though it is old technology it is still probably one of the better vlf detectors for finding gold. At the very top of the page there is a magnifying glass symbol. This is a search button. If you click on this button and type in 'Eureka Gold by Au Fever' it will take you to a very informative set of posts all about the Eureka Gold. Rather than upgrade you may wish to expand your detecting arsenal.

Cheers Bob.

Thanks Folks - have had a quick troll thru the 'Eureka Gold by Au Fever' posts. Will take a long slow read thru the lot. I am awaiting an amplifier and I expect it will make it a little easier to use. I have found hundreds of 'junk' targets and a few interesting items - buttons, horseshoes, metal (horseshoe like) shoe heels, an amazing old pick etc.

To date - nothing of the right colour!

Hoping to return to Hill End for a couple of days in the next week or 2 with the new amp in place!

Hi 19.3 I still have a Eureka gold , yes there are better gold detectors out there but at one time there was only VLF gold detectors and people found gold so for the money they still work fine and I have found gold at Hill End with mine
Roy

I learnt on a eureka gold was a bit hard to master and I did find gold with it but I have used it on the beach and it worked real well but you really need a booster to hear the machine

The amp made a huge difference - can hear the auto balance or audio AGC(auto gain control?) working in the background. Also, made it easier to distinguish mineralisation vs real targets.

Just a couple of shots of interest from 3 nights in Hill End (lots of nails, shell cartridge, and other rubbish not shown).

# Panning - approx 0.7gm,
# Gold ring picked up in the HE caravan park by my partner - just sitting in the grass - but look closely - a 'The One' (Lord of the Rings) unhallmarked ring - probably worth about $15!
# Large rusty button(?)
# Shoe heel

1541803017_20181110_080717.jpg

1541803043_20181110_080846.jpg

Latest posts