You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Dave79
29 October 2018 06:22 am

Looks like hard digging there! Worth it for coins that old. The brooch thingy might be pewter?

Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one keeps getting away!

Guessologist
29 October 2018 02:04 pm

Dave79 wrote:

Looks like hard digging there! Worth it for coins that old. The brooch thingy might be pewter?

I reckon so, the white and clear tiny crystals on the other side look like the lead minerals I see on proper lead objects I've dug so it's more than likely got some Pb content to it.

Located a couple more dozed late 1800's dwellings on crown yesterday, a quick scout gave me some doorknobs and a belt buckle but there's much more iron at these sites so lots of ridiculous falsing. Getting to within sight of dwellings too which I don't like, although I could hardly be accused of sneaking about being in high vis after work! More worried about upsetting stock and dogs to be honest. Did manage a 1900 half penny outboard of the cricket buckle site on the way out so the day wasn't a total duster.

I was investigating a very nice signal in some grass when something moved under the coil, a very solid red-bellied black snake! He would have been 4' plus at least, it felt like someone picked me up and shoved me in the other direction with the way I moved! I think that particular site might be a winter only job now since they are territorial, thankfully they really aren't that aggressive.

Go Find 40 / White's GMT . Cumulative age of predecimals found so far: ~5360 years

Guessologist
07 November 2018 07:56 am

Slightly disappointing run up at the old's this weekend, starting to get diminishing returns although I'm trying to get permission for the old vineyard next door to give the site some more legs. 1911 and 1958 pennies, 1927 and 1948 half pennies, and a 1918 threepence. The thrip and 58 penny were plow damaged, the lawn area used to be an orchard 20+ years ago.

It's amazing how much weather and ground conditions influence what you find, found bugger all until half an inch of rain on the lawns plus overnight watering. The lawns lit up with good targets which included most of the coins, in areas I've walked over a dozen times and not particularly deep either. It was a pretty good demonstration of how limited the Go Find is despite it's ongoing success as well.

1541537373_long.jpg

Checked out the local defunct harness club , now public RV park for a short while for something different but I could practically feel the eyes on the back of my neck! No point detecting if it's not fun.

Last edited by Guessologist (07 November 2018 07:57 am)

Go Find 40 / White's GMT . Cumulative age of predecimals found so far: ~5360 years

7 users like this post: 7.62marksman, caparobertsan, Smoky bandit, numpty, Ship of fools, Rockhound, PJG

Guessologist
07 November 2018 01:59 pm

Got a nice one today... Just starting to check out an new and exceptionally trashy 1860's site that's giving me hell, and turned up half of an American military buckle. Civil war era I guess based on this site: http://www.relicman.com/plates/zLibrary … rtSash.htm , this one's fully cast instead of those stamped ones, and quite worn so I guess belt instead of sash. I suppose you're not going to be wearing your best sashes on the goldfields either!

1541559480_buckle1.jpg
1541559496_buckle2.jpg

Anyone got any extra info on these? I see that a guy on this forum found an identical one last year. I actually tried to post this to the Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting forum first to give them some love since they're struggling for posts, but I just couldn't get past the Tapatalk login this time no matter how many times I cleared my cookies!

13 users like this post: numpty, Goldpick, Wally69, Dave79, Sandta, Ship of fools, Rockhound, Flowerpot, Heatho, Smoky bandit, golddiggerart, goody2shoes, MegsyB007

Goldpick
07 November 2018 02:34 pm

Lovely find, probably brought over to Oz by a US prospector previously working the Californian goldfields, has been a few US buckles unearthed recently. I've also stopped posting on AMDH due to the currently format, not sure how long it will last which is a pity.

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, Minelab Go-Find 60, XP MI-6, Minelab Profind, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

1 user likes this post: Guessologist

7.62marksman
07 November 2018 03:38 pm

Guessologist wrote:

Got a nice one today... Just starting to check out an new and exceptionally trashy 1860's site that's giving me hell, and turned up half of an American military buckle. Civil war era I guess based on this site: http://www.relicman.com/plates/zLibrary … rtSash.htm , this one's fully cast instead of those stamped ones, and quite worn so I guess belt instead of sash. I suppose you're not going to be wearing your best sashes on the goldfields either!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … uckle1.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … uckle2.jpg

Anyone got any extra info on these? I see that a guy on this forum found an identical one last year. I actually tried to post this to the Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting forum first to give them some love since they're struggling for posts, but I just couldn't get past the Tapatalk login this time no matter how many times I cleared my cookies!

I think its in here mate
http://www.hanoverbrass.com/early-milit … lates.html

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----A disposal technician at a dead run outranks everybody

7.62marksman
07 November 2018 03:39 pm

1541565570_9837878_orig.jpg

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----A disposal technician at a dead run outranks everybody

5 users like this post: Sandta, Flowerpot, robmoto, golddiggerart, goody2shoes

Guessologist
07 November 2018 08:44 pm

7.62marksman wrote:

Cheers, I reckon this one is pretty much an exact match with the angle of the eagle's head and position of the loops, circa 1861 is spot on:

1541583871_buckle3.jpg

Gotta find the other half now...

Last edited by Guessologist (07 November 2018 08:45 pm)

7 users like this post: Mackka, 7.62marksman, goody2shoes, Flowerpot, Sandta, Smoky bandit, golddiggerart

Guessologist
08 November 2018 02:11 pm

The Go Find has seen better days....

1541646659_img_20181108_1244511.jpg

2 users like this post: 7.62marksman, Mackka

Smoky bandit
08 November 2018 02:53 pm

I think you need to GO FIND a new detector lol thumbsup

No pain No gain..

1 user likes this post: 7.62marksman

liliane
08 November 2018 03:03 pm

1541649604_1.jpg
1541649647_3_1.jpg
1541649668_3_2.jpg
1541649696_5_1.jpg
1541649717_5_2.jpg

hello all , I found these stones and got no clue what they are, I go for long walks and do pick whatever I find, these are the results lol

4 users like this post: goody2shoes, Smoky bandit, Mackka, ktmman

Jaros
08 November 2018 03:11 pm

Guessologist wrote:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 244511.jpg

How did that happen??

Lottsa hope :F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Aldi detector, ? detector, Garmin Etrex30, 2 sieves,2 pans,2 sluices, Nugget sniffing Cocker Spaniel. X-Pointer PI by Deteknix, Nokta RS Pinpointer, Jobe Knife, Leschke Shovel, Pro-swing 45 Harness, Treasuremate 11 Amp.Gurney gusunder. VK4NLS

Guessologist
08 November 2018 03:35 pm

Jaros wrote:
Guessologist wrote:

How did that happen??

Just through long time fatigue of the plastic, I probably could have stopped and tried to fix it up but it's becoming a lost cause. The central mould seam inside the arm split several months ago and has been letting the plastic flex. I used to superglue it back together but I got sick of doing that every other week. Over time other parts have just fatigued to the point of failure, hence the gaffer tape and hose clamp. They certainly work well for the price point but aren't made with durability as a top priority! I never intended to relic hunt as my main style of detecting, hence the GMT but over time it's been seeing less action. I don't think I want to get rid of it, but I certainly want to up my coin hunting capability.

Smoky bandit wrote:

Hopefully I won't be waiting until the EQUINOX for a new machine perfect

2 users like this post: Smoky bandit, Jaros

Smoky bandit
08 November 2018 05:47 pm

Guessologist wrote:
Jaros wrote:
Guessologist wrote:

How did that happen??

Just through long time fatigue of the plastic, I probably could have stopped and tried to fix it up but it's becoming a lost cause. The central mould seam inside the arm split several months ago and has been letting the plastic flex. I used to superglue it back together but I got sick of doing that every other week. Over time other parts have just fatigued to the point of failure, hence the gaffer tape and hose clamp. They certainly work well for the price point but aren't made with durability as a top priority! I never intended to relic hunt as my main style of detecting, hence the GMT but over time it's been seeing less action. I don't think I want to get rid of it, but I certainly want to up my coin hunting capability.

Smoky bandit wrote:

Hopefully I won't be waiting until the EQUINOX for a new machine perfect

Haha I brought my Nox the day before the last equinox. Lol smile

No pain No gain..

1 user likes this post: Guessologist

liliane
08 November 2018 06:17 pm

Hello all, digging remains of history objects, maybe starting a museum would be a great contribution, what the earth has hidden all these years, you are uncovering it guys and giving it a name, location and a history, what a fantastic job, admirable, share these historic finds with the world and maybe some of it will be written in history books, who knows ? maybe you should contact schools and universities and see if they are interested in all that stuff you found? museums? who knows, anyways , have a great afternoon, cheers

Biggest Kev
08 November 2018 10:54 pm

Hi Liliane, the blue and green in those rocks look like Copper, are you near a old mine?

Cheers
Kev

caparobertsan
09 November 2018 10:53 am

Guessologist wrote:

I am sure back part can be ordered! Or attach metal one. awful

Minelab Gao Find 60 owner , Victoria Miner`s right permit holder. Ebay purchase-> C.Scope CS4ZX! C.SCope CS330! Nexus Bonanza, Minelab Sovereign XS-2! Minelab 2100(have not used it yet)
Makro Pointer, XP MI-6!

Guessologist
09 November 2018 09:00 pm

Got a fun one this afternoon after I splinted the detector back together. Gaffer tape fixes everything!

1541757489_george.jpg

My favourite site spat out two oldies, one a 1863 penny that should clean up nicely (my Andre's crayons are out of steel wool, wonder how hard they are to refill yourself?). The other I thought was another crusty Holloway token until I cleaned it up a little, definitely a George IV penny. It's in terrible shape despite how kind the soil is to all the other coins I've found there so far and the date is mostly illegible. Given it's state (the worst of the damage is mostly corrosion rather than wear) I reckon it's probably the 1827, I'll have to take a real good look with the scope to see if there's enough left to make a call on that last digit...

Action shot on the George IV penny, it was barely a few steps from where I found the 1863 half penny the other week, I swear the signal wasn't there last time!
1541758256_george2.jpg

Last edited by Guessologist (09 November 2018 09:12 pm)

13 users like this post: Wally69, goody2shoes, Goldpick, numpty, Rockhound, Sandta, 7.62marksman, Heatho, Dave79, Wishfull, Mackka, golddiggerart, caparobertsan

Goldpick
09 November 2018 10:03 pm

Good to see the Go-Find battling on and a couple of older coins for your efforts, any Georgian era coin is a good find. Don't think you can refill the steel wool crayon, I've used up mine a while ago and will require a new set to keep me going. big_smile

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, Minelab Go-Find 60, XP MI-6, Minelab Profind, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

Guessologist
10 November 2018 07:36 am

Goldpick wrote:

Good to see the Go-Find battling on and a couple of older coins for your efforts, any Georgian era coin is a good find. Don't think you can refill the steel wool crayon, I've used up mine a while ago and will require a new set to keep me going. big_smile

You can get just a 5 pack of steel wool refills from here (think these are the original makers?), can't seem to find more than just the brush by itself elsewhere so I might just have to bite the bullet and grab some. Works out to something like $15 AUD posted.
https://www.nettoyervostrouvailles.com/ … l-000.html

The penny is 1826, there's a single small nub of an edge parallel with the termination of the 2 left on the last digit, that fits with the inside of the 6 but can't be part of the 5 or 7 when you start overlaying images.
1541794499_date.jpg

4 users like this post: Heatho, Dave79, goody2shoes, Goldpick

Goldpick
10 November 2018 03:49 pm

Looks like they changed the design of the steel wool pencil to be rechargeable vs the older type which has the wool poking out from both ends. Thanks for the link.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site