Opal mining in lightning ridge 1995.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome story dezman, trying to get some work done but just had to keep reading thanks for sharing your life with us.

Thanks for sharing the adventure mate. Looks like a lot of hard work, but the suspense of that big pocket being possibly just around the corner must be great.

Cheers Wal.

Great read Dezman! Some really great and interesting photos there too.
Sounds like you got to experience a good run of luck up here -at the right time to be doing so as well. The Ridge was really flying throughout the late 80's and 90's, but it's certainly a very different place now.

Great to see you trying a bit of variety as far as opal mining goes.

Makes me wish that I had access to a camera earlier on in my time to document things a little better. All just past memories today.

All the best if you're brave enough to give it another try up here.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

thanks mate often dreamed of hunting opal I have seen one guys stash 40 gallon drums full of opal the different colours blow your mind the red colour can be amazing in black opal :)

richo966 said:
thanks mate often dreamed of hunting opal I have seen one guys stash 40 gallon drums full of opal the different colours blow your mind the red colour can be amazing in black opal :)
Yep ... The p.o?

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I could write it down to share. As I said it was the best years of my life and my head is still full of memories of that time. Going back recently was a trip down memory lane, we only live once but what fun it can be :D
I think most of us are hunters and not farmers, enjoying the chase of gold and gems keeps us challenged.
Live long and fossick.

Great story of your opal mining Dezman! And great pictures:)

Bet your glad you did it when you were younger :)

As you float thru Vulcan SF at times I might bump into you out there in Jan or Feb depending if there are any fires about the mts.

Great story Dezman, thanks for sharing. Its good to know that we have someone with so much opal experience on this forum. :)

Ahhh Opal. It's not about the money (but it is a great incentive) but when you see that first real color glowing from deep in the stone, that's it your hooked.

Latest posts