Sherpa winches ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aussiefarmer said:
Well bogger i have gone from wanting a runva to a sherpa and now the imax , ebay had a 10% discount by typing MAGIC10 in so i saved another 33 bucks.
So i bought it :eek: ;) being 27 kilos (some 9500lb winches are 40kg )and having cordless remotes sold me on it , i appreciate your input and no doubt i will windge if its not as good as you say :lol:

The warranty , amp draw and final layer of rope pound rating wasnt as good as some but your testimonial was good value.
Notsure if it came with an isolator switch but i have been advised to fit one. Thanks again :Y:

AF have never used an isolator .............. if you do, make sure it can handle the amps draw when loaded up. Nothing worse than finding it cuts out when you really need it. Personally I think if concerned, your best to just disconnect it when not using it. Less links in the chain to fail so to speak . :)

This will handle up to 900 amps and cheap as chips :Y:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Mot...314508&hash=item33e60745ee:g:dqwAAOSw58Val1p5

1527064259_isolator.jpg

I just went over that test 4x4 Australia did and the winch I bought 6 years ago is the same one that came first be it the EWX9500SD short drum version which was/is used by the British Military/SAS strike vehicles,

The Runva EWX9500, In the UK is called the Champion/Warrior EWX9500 and the High Speed version is called the s9500HS

and In North American they are marketed as Warrior Winches from Atlantic British LTD, The one in the middle is the one I have which is the one the British Military use, See Here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvc0AkXNEWU&t=11s

They changed the name from Champion to Warrior a couple of years ago and added two alloy covers for the cross bars, but it still has the same HP power even though they all miss quote it This is update version of my EWX9500SD which is in the video Above.
https://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/winches/warrior/warrior-samurai/warrior-s9500sd-12v-steel.html

And within a Year or so Warn copied it and made their own version calling it the 9.0Rc Rock Crawler, My EWX costs 341.99 and the Warn version costs 2131.19 which is about $3665.64 and my EWX9500sd costs $588.22, yet the Warn 10s Magnum (10,000LBs) they used in that test started smoking badly, Lol
https://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk...mate-performance/9-0r-rock-crawler-winch.html

Mine also came with everything including 2 Remotes, One corded and One Cordless Remote, Back around "2002"+/- warn use to make a 6000LB sd version but they stopped making it because all the 4x4's were too heavy for it, Mine is rated to 9500LB yet 4x4 Australia tested it to 5000kg = 11,000Lbs, and it won their comparo which is not bad seeing as their were 2 Warns in the Test and it is only rated for 9500LBs.

Hope that helps and keeps the thread Alive, And I got my eye on the 12,000 or the 17,500 Now, lolololololol, It's flaming maaahooosive :inlove: :Y: :trophy:

I will have to get some photos up , i went with the 12500 lb IMAX and love it , the remotes have a 1.5 sec delay but if its fiddly work the corded remote can be used, i have only pulled logs with it so far but i hooked to a big stringy bark log and the winch was moving the ute and the log without even changing sound or slowing down.
Very happy with the IMAX and will be recommending them to everybody.
Spending under $400 bucks and getting what would have cost $1800 + for a warn is a no brainer , i would have to kill 4 imax winches to be out of pocket.

a big thank you to bogger for his great advice :Y: i hope you come back to the forum bogger :Y:

aussiefarmer said:
I will have to get some photos up , i went with the 12500 lb IMAX and love it , the remotes have a 1.5 sec delay but if its fiddly work the corded remote can be used, i have only pulled logs with it so far but i hooked to a big stringy bark log and the winch was moving the ute and the log without even changing sound or slowing down.
Spending under $400 bucks and getting what would have cost $1800 + for a warn is a no brainer , i would have to kill 4 imax winches to be out of pocket.

a big thank you to bogger for his great advice :Y: i hope you come back to the forum bogger :Y:

Cool, well you won't go wrong with that one A/F, I have heard good things about them all across the Intergoogley so well done mate, Good Choice.

Of coarse it's nice to play with these things but we are supposed to hope we never need them so they say, I say Pigs **** I love playing with new toys, It's just got to be done ay, :Y:

aussiefarmer said:

Only glad to help Aussie :Y: Show us the pics ;)
After a recent roll over into a washout, thought time for a baby Imax on the replacement so next time :eek: may be able to drag myself out the :poop:

1540449314_quad_winch.jpg

Probably of topic but hey I'm a thrill seeker :D Found this little fella waiting for his mum ..................... but don't get to close or his mum mightn't love him anymore when she comes back and smells you all over him ;)

1540449980_calf_baby.jpg

Great thread :Y: seeing I'm in the market to add to my new vehicle. 12500lb is plenty enough I reckon AF if fitted to a passenger /light commercial vehicle. I'll keep an eye out on ebay when I'm ready to purchase, thanks for all the info everyone :perfect:.

Glad to see you back Bogger :Y: your a valuable resource on this forum :power:.

RM Outback said:
Great thread :Y: seeing I'm in the market to add to my new vehicle. 12500lb is plenty enough I reckon AF if fitted to a passenger /light commercial vehicle. I'll keep an eye out on ebay when I'm ready to purchase, thanks for all the info everyone :perfect:.

Glad to see you back Bogger :Y: your a valuable resource on this forum :power:.

Thanks RM appreciated but can bet a few that disagree, but that's like water of a ducks back :p ;) The seller on the net is Alaka_net. There are other sellers but this guy backs his stuff 100% which when combined with a good price is a winning combination :Y:
Running quite a few of them in different applications from car carrier to camper and never had an issue.
This one's on a slide on slide off mount as it's used in three different positions around the camper and hence why it's not hard wired. Swings Quad rack over, drags quad onto top of camper and also used on a gantry crane.

1540461375_imax_4000.jpg

1540462491_tambo_gantry_2.jpg

Bogger said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1540449314_quad_winch.jpg

Probably of topic but hey I'm a thrill seeker :D Found this little fella waiting for his mum ..................... but don't get to close or his mum mightn't love him anymore when she comes back and smells you all over him ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1540449980_calf_baby.jpg

Bogger that little 4000Lb winch can pull well over 4000Lbs, on a 10% slope it can pull up to 20,100Lb if the load is on wheels and 8643Lbs on a 40% slope, Here is a PDF that shows just what they can do, A 9000Lb Winch can pull up to 45,226 of rolling mass,

What this shows is that depending the application and how they are used there are other options, I have dragged an old Army Land Rover out of a bog with one of those cheap manual cable pullers and all it took was a bit of effort so these facts and figures are spot On,

Hope that helps, :Y: :cool:

J.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/42/42ecd4c2-afee-42ad-a9d7-12015295379c.pdf

1540480997_hand_puller.jpg

Thanks John ...................... yes I use a 4000lb one on a car carrier and it drags 2.5 tonne vehicles up no problem. No skull dragging but rolling mass no issue :Y: The only thing one has to watch on the light units is to make sure cabling doesn't spool on one side as it can blow the side of the winch drum out. That's more operator error than unit fault, as even coiling of winch rope is always good practice no matter the winch size used.

Yeah your Spot On there, So many people use their winch and having got back on the road they forget to re-spool the cable or rope so next time they use it, It either won't feed out or slips between the layers the next time they use it kinking and damaging the cable, Those little hand pullers are a great way of learning what happens to a winch under load because you can see what's going on, Due to their nature as you said they bunch up and you have to stop and pull it all out and re feed it again, Another thing to remember for a lot of folks is that a Winch has a 5:1 test ratio which means they can pull 5 times their Rated value although that is the safety factor not a Recommendation.

Here is some more info and they list winches up to 16,500Lbs jeez they can pull up to 82,911Lbs :inlove: I think I need one of them, Not to use, Just to sit and look at :inlove: :inlove:

https://www.globalspec.com/learnmor...aterial_handling_equipment/industrial_winches

We have an Aldi winch and another person in our 4x4 club has an aldi winch and they work hard and as good as the other brands the people in our club have. We also have an aldi 3 way fridge, for 10 years that has never let us down

Latest posts