QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about Pro Find or any of the other brand pinpointers and QED? Any experiences? Lost my pinpointer some time back, and are yet to replace it.

Reg Wilson said:
How about Pro Find or any of the other brand pinpointers and QED? Any experiences?

Just tested my QED with 11" Commander in the back yard with a Pro-Find 25 switched on and it appeared to create NO interference to the QED.

I can also confirm the findings above, My Pro-Find 25 does NOT bother the QED.

But the same can't be said with my 5000, the Pro-Find 25 does not play well with the 5000 regardless of the coil fitted to it. :N:

Mal

Reg Wilson said:
How about Pro Find or any of the other brand pinpointers and QED? Any experiences? Lost my pinpointer some time back, and are yet to replace it.
I have used my cheap but ok MARS MD pinpointer without any issue with the QED Reg (other than the usual when too close to each other). The MARS MD doesn't have the bells & whistles of other pinpointers but does the job in big holes. I rarely use them though hence buying a cheap, basic unit rather than the Pro Find etc.

Rush said:
I see another instructional video (VI 13) for the QED has been produced as an alternative way of checking and Re-GB'ing while detecting with the QED.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCRTukijBOTackaon2JwImQ

Be interested to see what people think of this method.
Seems unconventional in that it's basically teaching to lift the coil at the end of the coil sweep - something that I try to impress on people not to do.
Without having tried it I don't think it's an ideal solution & leaving the GB screen open to balance on the run conventionally would still be just as quick + better IMO. Like said though haven't tried it so interested in how current QED owners find it.

This method actually works, although I don't use it myself. Experimenting with the tow coil was interesting. I set up the control panel so that I could adjust settings while in motion, and listened to the coil moaning in response to being out of balance. The complaining tone was then adjusted either up or down. The pitch would change until a quiet balance was achieved, and run surprisingly smooth, even without auto ground tracking.
At Laanecoorie I showed Howard a quick method of eliminating very hot false signals. He found a signal that sounded very much like the real deal, and declared he would dig it. This was not an 'iffy' signal but was strong enough to indicate it could be a color of 10 grams or so if it was the real deal. Checking the ground balance adjacent to the signal verified that the machine was indeed balanced. I then passed the coil over the supposed target and it gave a very strong response. Tilting the coil very slightly (10 degrees or less) I swept it back over the target. Gone. Completely gone. I then put a color on the ground nearby and passed the coil over it, getting as you would expect, a strong signal. Passing the tilted coil over the color made no difference to the response. Strong signal. Increasing the coil angle by quite a bit still made no difference to the strong coil reaction, and even more tilt had the same result.
I would suggest this method only be used for very strong signals, and small soft ones need to be conventionally treated.

Interesting Reg.

I suppose the big question I would have about the tilt method is that is the tilt actually losing what is a genuine target?

Did Howard end up digging the signal just to check?

Is the tilt method something youve tried with another brand of detector?

As I have stated; "only to be used for very strong signals". Why don't you do some testing yourself? That way you will know from your own experience. Let us know how you get on.

grumpygold, I have not joined the forum you mentioned for a number of reasons.
As mbasco has pointed out, some information is locked for members only, and I don't see much sense in that, although being able to get information and advice straight from the inventor and builder is a definite bonus.
A certain degenerate forum that seems to serve no other purpose than to attack, denigrate, and personally abuse anyone involved with the QED devoted many pages in a disgusting attempt to besmirch my reputation. It was alleged among other things that I was a financier of the QED and was a friend of the owner of the AEGPF forum, whom until this day I have never met. By not joining that forum I attempted to distance myself from these unfounded claims.
'Doug', the owner of AEGPF, although an obviously intelligent person, is totally devoted to the QED to a stage where his obsession sometimes over rides common sense and self control, resulting in getting himself into altercations with other forums and individuals. In one case it led to to jr beatty, myself and one other member being banned for life from the 4umer forum. Doug got into a hostile situation with management, getting himself banned, and although we had only the QED connection, we ended up as collateral damage'. Banned as 'troublemakers'.
The AEGPF can be a most informative forum, and it is my hope that it evolves to a stage where it becomes a little more inclusive and user friendly.
The QED has had a less than painless birth, due to a handful of dedicated knockers and saboteurs, but has survived to become an accepted addition to the range of metal detectors available in this country. Locally designed and built (the only detector built in Australia) the QED is competitive performance wise with machines many times its price, ergonomically miles ahead of most other detectors, and offers speedy personal technical backup.
For many reasons the QED is my favorite detector these days.

Well said Reg, I also have not joined the above mentioned forum even though I have a QED. I'm a pretty chilled out person and hate confrontation and personal attacks. I love my QED and believe that it is a highly versatile machine that will detect 90 percent of the gold that machines double the price will and I'm a big fan of shopping local and keeping our money in Australia.

i havnt posted over there yet, just a quiet observer at the moment, do not think i will now after your post reg :D :Y:

Reg Wilson said:
grumpygold, I have not joined the forum you mentioned for a number of reasons.
As mbasco has pointed out, some information is locked for members only, and I don't see much sense in that, although being able to get information and advice straight from the inventor and builder is a definite bonus.
A certain degenerate forum that seems to serve no other purpose than to attack, denigrate, and personally abuse anyone involved with the QED devoted many pages in a disgusting attempt to besmirch my reputation. It was alleged among other things that I was a financier of the QED and was a friend of the owner of the AEGPF forum, whom until this day I have never met. By not joining that forum I attempted to distance myself from these unfounded claims.
'Doug', the owner of AEGPF, although an obviously intelligent person, is totally devoted to the QED to a stage where his obsession sometimes over rides common sense and self control, resulting in getting himself into altercations with other forums and individuals. In one case it led to to jr beatty, myself and one other member being banned for life from the 4umer forum. Doug got into a hostile situation with management, getting himself banned, and although we had only the QED connection, we ended up as collateral damage'. Banned as 'troublemakers'.
The AEGPF can be a most informative forum, and it is my hope that it evolves to a stage where it becomes a little more inclusive and user friendly.
The QED has had a less than painless birth, due to a handful of dedicated knockers and saboteurs, but has survived to become an accepted addition to the range of metal detectors available in this country. Locally designed and built (the only detector built in Australia) the QED is competitive performance wise with machines many times its price, ergonomically miles ahead of most other detectors, and offers speedy personal technical backup.
For many reasons the QED is my favorite detector these days.
ive read the disgusting stuff on the mentioned forum, that phsyco is not for me, think he has skitzo syndrome :perfect:

We normally do not engage with "Forum Wars " but myself and another person went on a full scale
attack to defend Reg against the absolute vile and disgusting diatribe that I have ever seen.
I have met both Reg and BugWhiskers in person and they are truly delightful people.
I now have a QED myself and owing to also " The Detectorist " actually demonstrating the machine showing it's
potential, I am happy to say that please, DO NOT read any thing negative that you find against this machine.
I really hate crap being thrown around when a lot of it is nothing more than Bull :poop: .
There is a bit of a steep learning curve but when the penny drops on how to run a QED, You will be rewarded
I assure you.
Now, Please, don't involve other forums in here. We keep a very tight reign on such things and I would really like
any one to discuss their findings here in our haloed walls. :gemstone: