Dont die in the Outback

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Australia is remote enough that for many areas you still need to plan trips thoroughly, as on an expedition, have more than one vehicle, and take lots of water (a single person will drink 5 litres per day in hot weather), fuel, two methods of communication and kit.

proper clothing to good boots or shoes long pants proper hat and so on I saw a bunch out warwick in shorts and thongs sandles walking around the scrub detecting a few weeks back

BigWave said:
Don't forget that a PLB will only help SAR find your body faster after a snake bite :argh:

unfortunate but so true Bigwave. whilst most snakes are fairly easily spotted if they are on the move, Death Adders are bastards as they are ambush predators & generally don't move until you nearly step on them. A detector in front of you is a good deflector as well, but its always important to be thinking & watching for snakes anywhere. :skull:
When I was out last week of Sept, met 2 foreigners who had no idea. 1 wearing shorts but full shoes, the other wearing long pants but with sandals.

a lot of what I have seen out western qld is know your limits no your vehical and what it can do and if the worse your car breaks down stay there do some reading on survival and bush craft a skill set that never a waste of time ask stupid questions a lot of travellers I have seen carry over priced useless junk that they don't know how to use and causes more problems
I have done a lot of searches looking for lost or hurt people and simple mistakes are the biggest cause for them to be put into the situation which could of been avoided
basic skills can help and be prepared

Jaros said:
BigWave said:
Don't forget that a PLB will only help SAR find your body faster after a snake bite :argh:
The families of the deceased will have closure -at least. :brokenh:
Many or most survive snake bite even untreated - but not only will a PLB improve the odds (unconscious people don't drink water), but it might save limbs etc.

goldierocks said:
Jaros said:
BigWave said:
The families of the deceased will have closure -at least. :brokenh:
Many or most survive snake bite even untreated - but not only will a PLB improve the odds (unconscious people don't drink water), but it might save limbs etc.

Absolutely true about finding the body faster...

Search and Rescue found my body, albeit a very groggy body, after being tagged by a brown snake on the hand climbing up a creek bank. I pressure bandaged it, set off my PLB, had a chopper over my head in about an hour, made it to hospital, spent quite a while recovering, still alive right now.

What was your bad experience with a PLB?

My experience a few years back was quite good. saved my life for about 300 bucks. Well, $310 bucks if you include a pressure bandage. I kind of rate them both quite highly in my books.

PS. Snake bites are not fun. I don't recommend trying one.

Cheers

1542088375_4.jpg

Latest posts