Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I jumped in too early and paid 1299 for mine too. Hopefully the coil drops a hundred bucks cos that's more like the price you'd expect to pay for a GPZ coil.

I think saying that it's what you'd expect to pay for a GPZ coil is a bit dramatic. They cost over $1000 just for the standard 14x13.
When you look at a single frequency 15" coil for the Xterra series at ~$300 then a multi frequency smart 15" coil that can also operate on selectable single frequencies for ~$399 is pretty relative.
CTX 11 at ~$385 & CTX 17 at ~$440 also puts a bit of perspective on the price?
Not defending the pricing though as I think all of the above mentioned coils are overpriced just saying the EQ 15" price is relative in comparison to others of a similar size/tech.
Never pay RRP. Most dealers should come off that RRP price ;) (if you want one).

Been watching & holding off on the Nox

I have a CTX + a 17 Coil ?

I may get tempted if they do a package price for a Nox incl. 15 Coil ......... :(

It's over half what I got my EQ600 for. I got lucky with an Anaconda special + eBay 5% off at the same time.
It only works because there'll be a large number of people ready to buy & many won't balk at the price. They'll just be happy to get a bit more coverage for the beach, open fields etc. Others will have covered the price with finds. Big companies know this & as seen before the price usually settles after demand drops. I'll wait - like you I'm happy with the 11". I got a 6" coil but haven't used it yet.

A reminder from another forum about making sure batteries are charged every few months over winter when the detector is not getting used (American site so not really relevant to OZ).

But it did make me think that the WM08 and bluetooth headphones could do with a charge as I don't use either of them and it has been a few months since I got the detector. The headphones were only on the charge for about 10 minutes and they were done but the WM has been on for nearly an hour and still flashing to say it is charging.

If you haven't even taken the WM08 out of the plastic (like I hadn't) it might be worth plugging it in just to ensure the battery is charged and kept in good order for future use or resale :Y:

I bought a nox a few months back to replace my old Los Banos GB2, to use for the gold mode only, after practicing and studying up in the machine I took it on one trip nugget hunting and brought home and sold. It just wasn't for me for the purpose I bought it. One main neg was the dd coil, I am used to running a elliptical concentric, which has edge sensitivity with very good overall coverage per swing and great depth on tiny gold, the nox dd coils do not have edge sensitivity so coverage is not near as good as it would seem to the eye. If Minelab comes up with a dedicated vlf nugget multi freq machine that uses concentric coils I may get back into the game with them on a multi-iq. Hopefully the manual setup will be simpler as well.

Depth on a .55 gram nugget was less than satisfactory for me. I got time, to wait for multi freq to advance a bit more. A vlf is just a tiny gold cleanup machine for me anyway, I generally am using my gpx4500 with a elite or evo coil. I only use a vlf 10% of the time or less to clean up patches now. I find that the evo 14x9 gets most the tiny gold in a given area anyway with way smoother/deeper operation than a vlf. It regularly gets #9 birdshot to 3" depth, so the sensitivity/depth is excellent on the evo.

I never got a chance to try the coin/jewelry side of the machine nor was I interested, I hear its excellent but I have other machines that do the job well already. I will say the tiny gold ID was very good on the nox, I was using the 6" coil, tiny gold around 1-2 grains ea came in around 1 vdi most the time repeatedly which is much better than other vlf's on hot ground. Also setup at -6 and higher segments blocked did a great job of blocking hot rocks. So there are some pluses to the machine. Just not enough for me yet.

1542534097_img_18011312.jpg
todays finds with the nox

Latest posts