Bull bars, steel vs alloy vs plastic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting point on "modern" day vehicles. Check the prices on a bar for an air bag equipped vehicle and a non air bag type ? The bar for the air bag equipped will be at least twice the price and the reason for this is simply the cost :money: of lab crash testing before the bar can carry the air bag compliant sticker. With the bar fitted to vehicle, all air bags must activate as per original specs and also not hinder built in crumple zones. If you check the mounts on air bag compliant bars you will see they are designed to give or fold for lack of a better term. End result is the bar on air bag equipped vehicles can only be "strong' to a point ..................... otherwise it won't comply and is illegal to be fitted. :beer:
I must have missed a few opinions whilst clocking up Z's .................... few posts have gone. :( Must have been a conflict of opinions versus facts :eek: :D :D :D :D

The bar compliance sticker (one example as below) must even be visible after bar fitment, that's not opinion, in fact it's the law ;) ................. applicable to ALL air bag equipped vehicles and note specifics regarding vehicle mount points.

1541192942_bar_sticker.jpg

Bogger said:
Yes when posting it certainly is in ones best interests to be very pointed and politically correct nowadays :argh:

PC over the top... Every thing offends some one..

Not even allowed to say who I am... Or when I am from. :bomb:

Every bit of hardware you add to the car or 4x4 adds weight and thus Pros and Cons. No one size or type does it all...

Sad but true..

PC over the top... Every thing offends some one..

Not even allowed to say who I am... Or where I am from. bomb

AM but there be it the beauty of the net ................ you can be anyone you wish to be on the net :Y: Myself I am Kazim Karabakaz and I am from Instanbul (Pic to follow)

I'm just glad we don't have any of these fellows wandering around the Aussie bush as would need either a bigger car ? bar or both ? :eek:

1541217534_hippo_.jpg

Those buggers ( opps bad language) fellows kill more than most others even come close to..

And no Bull Bar extra protection fixed to your car or 4x4 will protect you...

Any way - I am out of here....for a while...

Make my own bull bars or recycle themm from car to car but take a lot of time welding them cos they are also my air supply from the under bonnet commpressor .
I only drive /own older cars to take bush cos i go right of the beeten track and newer ones just get trashed ..
Also if u got front end damage in a accident u dont have insurance unless you bolt on the right bar for u vehickle .
Dont think u can buy one that acts as a air tank so u need to build one .
All u need is a nipple welded to the bar that the commpressor hose bolts into and a fitting that suits the regulator .
You can buy a compressor that has a pressure switch that keeps your receiver at a constant pressure .

Run mine at 100 psi and holds enough compressed air to inflate two tyres from

another factor in choice is the design of the bar.
my alloy bar is very robust & has no lower flick bar (normal for most 4x4 bars) .... bars designed for sedans usually have these.
my custom steel skid plate (with vents) runs from the rear of the bar under the radiator & back. This assembly pushes medium to small animals underneath & gives very good protection to the radiator. Ive had 1 small roo go under the front wheel ... that was interesting but controllable. I hope I don't ever hit a Big Red, Cow or Camel. Going over the top is bad, but if they went down & under me thinks me be airborne :poop: :awful: :poop: