Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make short videos of the problem if ML have any issues with fixing or replacing. presuming it's under warranty.

They can have problems with the wire conections internally, which minelab will fix under warranty. I have also heard of one faulty coil being replaced.
If you bought it from a good dealer take it and ask them to give it a run .
Does it run perfectly sometimes or is it always a pain ?

I had mine fixed a few times under warranty. First time was for the main ribbon cable to the mother board to be reseated, erratic noise that couldn't be noise cancelled. Second was for replacement headphones, left earphone stopped working. Third was for a replacement coil, as the plug was faulty. False signals anytime the plug was touched, or if machine bumped slightly.

An awesome machine when running great. Found me many pieces of gold.

Get it seen to, hope it's still under warranty.

Ward69 said:
Just ask for a replacement

They seldom replace units like this. They will repair the fault. It is not economically viable to replace every machine with a problem. Once a machine has been opened it is no longer able to be sold as a new one.

Yes you are correct it is another timing for bigger deeper nuggies .. you can do simple air tests to prove this

Treasure Mate v3 mounted on SDC2300
1540893676_tmv3b.jpg

Here's my mods.

1. Polypipe arm rest Velcro to the folding segments and covered with a GPX500 arm pad.
2. Woodyfoot stand
3. Knuckle protector.
4. Nenad's Patch lead tucked into the DD cover.
5. Tennis Racket padded tape around the handle.
6. Bungy strap below the Woodyfoot.
7. Deteknix Wireless Tx Velcro to the front of the Handle assy.
8. I have the adaptor tubes and am soon to buy some Panasonic 20700 Li-oN 3.6V 4000mAh batteries to replace the C cells. I got the tubes from Dean at Goldsearch, Dunolly, he's still trading online. These are in preference to the 18650s which only go to 3600mAh.

1540951485_sdc2300.jpg

Although, I have Nenad's Deteknix Wireless headphones and Tx, I am using a 2nd Tx and separate RX for my Audio as I'm feeding the SteelPhase SP01.
Nenad recommends the audio be transmitted before it's enhanced. To use the wireless phones will need the SP01 fitted to the SDC and then Amplify before Tx. So I'm carrying the Sp01 on my harness or belt, the Deteknix Rx connects to the SP01 input and I use my GPX Koss headphones plugged to the input. I also have a speaker on my harness (soon to be 2 speakers) which are easy to then swap with the phones.

1540951511_audio.jpg

I can then using a different patch lead also use the SP01 when I swing the GPX5000. The carabiner is hooked onto my harness, to tuck the cable in when detecting and can then be used to hook the phones onto the harness if I decide to use speaker.

I'm sure this has been covered before but I'd be interested to here what others are doing.
I alternate between 3 sets of nimh batteries ,
a set of tenergy 6000 mah ,a set of Kogan 4000mah and a mixed brand set, all over 2 years old and all still charging well , am getting between 4500 and 5800 mah with a good discharge test and charge at 500mah on a IQ 338xl charger .Best charger I've ever used great to be able to see the mah charge even if it does take a long time to get full charge . I'm getting 6 to 8 hours sometimes more of run time ,and all batteries have approx 2 wraps of electrical tape so as to stop (most) random restarts .
Was wondering how people have been going with the 7.2v Lithium 18650 battery set up as its been out there for a while now . Was concerned about the 7.2 v and wondering if it has caused anyone any problems .
Also would like to hear about charge and run times for these batteries and whether people think it's a worthwhile upgrade .
Cheers Booney

I'm looking at 20700 Li-on, I have the adaptors. What peeves me re the nimh is the recharge time, I have a set of Minelab 5000 mAh and another of Accupower 6000 mAh.
My experience is that for every hour I use them it takes near an hour to recharge i.e. 5 hours run, 5 hours charge time. That's not too bad when on mains, but most of my recharge comes off the van battery off grid, with solar. The actual current draw AH on the battery is not huge, but the charger does take longer than when on mains.

From others I've spoken to, using the 20700 - 4000 mAh, using the detector for say 6 hours the 20700s take about 2 hours to recharge, so much quicker. I know several that are using them and 18650 - 3600 mAh with no issues re the extra voltage. I'm told the SDC will take up to 8 volts.

My SDC is still under warranty, so I am being a little cautious :)

Thanks condor 22 and I agree charge times can be a pain in the bush ,always feel I get a better charge off the mains at home as charge times arent as important . Interesting what you say about 20700 Li-on batterys will look into that .l must correct myself and say that the 18650 Li-on batterys are rated at 3.7 v but charge up to 4.2 v so I believe , making 2 equal 8.4 v and Im not sure how this will affect the machine long term / in the heat ect.
As you, I will be playing it cautiously but still interested in hearing how others are going.
Cheers Booney.

Booney,

All batteries charge at a higher voltage than the voltage they discharge. The trick is to not take your battery straight from charge and put it in your SDC. You'll find that given a half hour or so, the battery will drop to its rest voltage.

Some 18650s are rated at 3.6, some at 3.7 volts. Dean at Goldsearch is making sleeves to suit the 20700 battery which is 3.6V. Although the Dunolly shopfront is closed he's still trading online. I got the sleeves personally so no postage for a nominal amount (mates rates). You'll need to contact him for a price. The full kit is $145 from him, so up to you how you buy. The sleeves are 3D printed with brass Terminal inserts. They are designed for 20700 batteries, so not really suitable for 18650s

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/our-products/new-products.html

The batteries I can get from Ebay at $33.95 for 2

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Pana...m-Li-Ion-rechargeable-batteries-/272747876742

The charger I will order is this one (same Ebay trader) at $49.95 It will charge amongst others both 18650 and 20700 Li-On batteries

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Soshine...044180&hash=item415fbb09d3:g:QQ0AAOxy5jxSb5TO

So a total of a little over $100

FYI - 18650 means 18mm dia and 65mm long, 20700 means 20mm dia and 70mm long. Keep in mind that a protected 18650 is actually near 69mm long due to the addition of the protection "biscuit" on the end on the battery. So when buying a sleeve it should only be used with the battery its designed for.

Regardless of advertised capacity, the maximum output of a 18650 is 3600 mAh. The max of a 20700 is 4000 mAh.

Yes NiMHs are nearly fool proof but they don't like heat. With the IQ338xl you can increase the charge current, reducing charge time, but I always recommend low and slow, just like detecting.

Highly recommended charger myself.
I have one and yes, Low and slow.
2 days out of one set of suitable batteries with an
SDC is no problem. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Latest posts