Fossicking at Daylesford

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm heading up to Dayleford on Geelong Cup Day to have a crack at finding some gems in the creek there.

Any tips or good spots to look? Had a trawl of the forum, so have a limited knowledge of where to go, Sailers Creek I think its called, or two bridges?

Any places to not go? EG out of bounds? Also how small are the stones? What size sieve do most use there? I've seen people panning for them, but my panning skills are pretty bad :(

Thanks in advance.

James

Little picnic spot on the road back to Ballarat (RHS at bottom of hill) watched a few putting shovel loads through a pan and picking out small gems, and the occasional picker.
Although flogged I think a good bit of rain seems to move stuff about and replenish it.
Good luck, T.

So looking at going somewhere near twin bridges picnic grounds, Tipperary springs picnic ground maybe.

This is where the picnic area is. The Creek anywhere around that area.
Cheers T.

1539743391_d60c0dab-6f87-47ea-b060-ef09ed7a4eee.jpg

Thanks TEEmore. Going to start off there and if nothing turns up, will head along dry diggins trk to tipperary

Other direction may be OK as well ... note that Stony Crk meets up with Sailors Crk just past the bridge.
Have not done much there but was surprised at what was pulled right at the picnic area.
Plenty of rain forecast so might be some good new material.

Cheers T.

Just remembered another area, not sure about gems but a few specks were panned up here, only issue may be too much water at the moment, sure thered have to be gems there as well ..... Bryces Flat. Bit of a bugger to get to through suburban streets.

1539746469_26b157fd-f40b-42c4-8cff-639e3be65b3f.jpg

Hi Marauder.
Have found some "blue" colors in the gravel south of wallaby track. ref teemore's map post #5.
Also clear quartz crystals at Bryces Flat, gold species at both.
Goodluck :Y: wish I could join you there cheers

Thanks Golden goose. Weathers looking good for wednesday, and plenty of rain before hand so will hopefully be plenty of water.

Anyone know what the water level is like? Pretty stoked to be going out there tomorrow!

Thanks DB.

Had a great time with the wife and kids. The firs Zircon found was the best, about 3mm square with a great point on it, hardly looks like any wear at all. the other were all very small, and had to be panned for.

Will post a picture later tonight, but yeah was a great day great weather and found a great crystal.

Did you find any fine gold? Did you try at the picnic ground or south of wallaby trk ford. I have seen a lot of gem stones and gold from that area come out.
Cheers db

We were at the picnic ground at Twin Bridges. Spoiler alert the second bridge is gone, replaced by some large stepping stones.

We were upstream from the the stepping stones, about 200m.

Didn't get any fine gold, but my panning technic is rubbish, but some very small zircons in the pan.

not sure what the average size of the gems found there is, but the large zircon that i found was an order of magnitude larger than all the others we found.