newbies needing advise

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear-500

Lindsay and Colleen Rixon
Reaction score
Hi members this is my first post hoping to get some advise on how to start gem fossicking. The wife and I have prospected for gold for many years. We live on the Mornington Peninsula and wonder if there is anywhere semi close by we could have a look for gems. Failing that where should we go ? We've done some reading and have the gear now we need to get out and do it. Any help would be much appreciated. Safe and Merry Xmas to all Regards Colleen and Lindsay Rixon

Hi Colleen and Lindsay.
Welcome to Prospecting Australia.
You will find a lot on information on all forms of prospecting.
As for gem hunting in your area I'm sure some local members in your area will give you advice on where to go.
Check youtube videos for methods. Specially vids by walnliz.

Good luck with the hunt

Cheers

Ramjet

Hi Newbie

There a few places in Vic to go look for gems and semi-gems. It depends if you want to dig them out of the rocks or go for an alluvial deposit where the work of digging and concentrating has been done for you. The nearest place would likely be up in the Strathbogies, but others down your way would know better. Beechworth-Eldorado is good for alluvial gems.

Best bet would be to either go to a prospecting store and get hold of a book on the gemstones of Victoria and posssibly also look at the minerals part of the Department of Primary Industries www.dpi.vic.gov.au I think it is.

Araluen

Latest posts