rare relic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i found this rare relic in creswick victoria.
museum of canberra research department hasnt seen anything like it before. they date it to early 1800s or before and are not quite sure if its roman, greek or a family crest, they also believe it may be related to freemasonry. as for a value they were unable to put one on it due to its rarity. so to me that makes it priceless.
i hope you all find your own priceless pieces of history cheers.
1538263723_1538263332866266.jpg
1538263748_1538263333512503.jpg

Wax seal , maybe

Very off track but - Hephaestus was a Greek figure of forge & blacksmithing ?

all cool ideas as to what it could be.
havent found any images that are remotely close to it as yet.

adamt said:
i looked for about 2 hrs today cant find anything like it
i reacon and i know there is some out there that will prove me wrong and i bet they cant but i think it has something to do with blacksmith/forge master craftsman
lapel button/pin

7.62marksman said:
adamt said:
i looked for about 2 hrs today cant find anything like it
i reacon and i know there is some out there that will prove me wrong and i bet they cant but i think it has something to do with blacksmith/forge master craftsman
lapel button/pin

It may represent Vulcan, God of fire - just a thought. :D

How's this?.....maybe it is a freemasonry badge - perhaps worn to signal fellowship to other brethren that you might encounter on your travels ...... then follows the knowing look of acknowledgement and then the "secret handshake" .......

I know! rubbish you say - probably is! but then again ................ ;)

Done a little reading since my last post and I think that the lapel badge might have been worn by a freemason who had achieved the Third Degree in Freemasonry. I think the individual depicted on the badge is Hiram Abiff , one of the 3 master masons supervising the construction of Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem who was murdered by disgruntled masons for refusing to reveal a secret. I gather that the symbolism of the story of Hiram Abiff and of the badge is one of "integrity".

I'm not a mason and do not know any but there's likely a PA member who knows from personal experience ;) ;) ;)

Moneybox said:
Maybe the only recorded evidence of a gruesome murder taking place :eek: :argh:

yes, and an enthralling read too. I'm thinking it could be that the hand that holds the gavel represents the ruffian who struck Hiram - the head is the candidate (who presents blindfolded and participates in a reenactment of the murder of Hiram) the other hand I think is holding that blindfold.

My money is on the wearer being a master mason ;)

happy to be corrected

casper

Latest posts