My Trommel Build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrisJoe

Joe
Reaction score
I've been slowly working towards building a trommel for the last few years, every so slowly acquiring bits and pieces to put it together.
I'm now almost collected the last bits I Need to start assembly.
It'll be done on the cheap with most parts scrounged from scraps and other odd parts at work.

Simple idea of it'll be powered by a large 12v windscreen wiper motor off a Kenworth and the water will be pumped with one of those huge capacity bilge pumps so the operation of it stays quiet, hopefully the flow will be enough through the spray bars, as the area I want to use it first will be previously processed material that I've panned flakes from before. and once I get into more virgin dirt will look at upgrading to a petrol pump for higher flow.

I've got solar panels ready to recharge the battery while I'm using it for the pump/motor.

I'll add pictures once I start to build it in the coming weeks.

Occasional_panner said:
I'm not too sure on your regs up there, are trommels allowed up there for general prospecting on public land, if that is how you intend to use it?
Not on public lands..Gpa...unless you crank it by hand and pour the water in by bucket..

G'day! BirsJoe,

Long time no see.....
As dam it said....We need pic's.....
Lots of pic's.....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Smoky bandit said:
Occasional_panner said:
I'm not too sure on your regs up there, are trommels allowed up there for general prospecting on public land, if that is how you intend to use it?
Not on public lands..Gpa...unless you crank it by hand and pour the water in by bucket..

That's why it has to be quiet.... :perfect: .....Shhhhh..

Funny thing is down here in Vic they are perfectly legal to use, same as highbankers, powered dry blowers etc.
But I have never seen anyone out in the bush using one, did see one on the back of a ute going down the highway once.

Occasional_panner said:
Funny thing is down here in Vic they are perfectly legal to use, same as highbankers, powered dry blowers etc.
But I have never seen anyone out in the bush using one, did see one on the back of a ute going down the highway once.

I am close to building a dry trommel to feed my dry blower to be used in VIC. Some of the dirt I am digging does not break up very easily. I have only had 1 group of bush walkers come up and look at what I was doing once, but I generally only ever get people with raised eyebrows as they drive past and see me pumping dust everywhere.

We need pics of this trommel build now

Will see how busy I am at work this week if I can start some designing of it and putting some things together.
It'll be a slow build just doing little bits and pieces at a time but I'll try and do pictures as I go.

As requested a photo of some of the materials that I've scrounged together for the build.
The mesh might be a bit large (20mm welded stainless) for what I want so am keeping an eye out for some smaller stuff, maybe some 1/4 expanded mesh.

wsw9cj.jpg

It's fun building stuff, but might be an idea to post an ad in wanted section, sometimes people have half finished projects or working units they haven't used in years, I've seen some good buys on here people have got just from asking a question.
Just a thought.

Update..

I've got the trommel barrel built, ended up using an old fire suppression bottle off a mining truck and windowed it out and bolted in mesh and agitator bars for it.
I'll get some photos of it when I'm back at work in a few days.
Trying to fold up the sluice part at the moment using Wals specifications off the Walbanker
It's also taken me many year, but I also finally scored me bread crate that I didn't have to steal from behind the bakery to go with it as well. Finding that at the tip is what's kicked me back into gear to get this many years in the making project finally finished lol

As Smokey has stated, Don't get caught using it... Your pockets will have nothing in them for a very long time.....
They don't play fair up here.... And you can loose your Car, camp and anything else 'connected' to the Offence....

Other than that, We want Pics.. :lol:

LW....

Prob a bit large in size, as the tube is about 14" diameter, lucky ive got a big strong wiper motor to turn it. This will do unless I can find other suitable lighter material to make it our of on the dirt cheap

Latest posts