Camp Set Up Tips & Tricks Plus Products That Work And Those That Don't

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of newer vans are coming with lights built into the awning roller, mines a bit older and didn't have this, so I "Rolled" my own. Led light kit with remote from Ebay, a roll of clear Gorilla tape, a couple of connections to plug into the external socket , and let there be light

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4tl2_zKGdw[/video]

You can have disco or single colour :lol: :lol:

Trash said:
Mr Magoo said:

....... Oh magoo youve done it again ......!!

That's a damn cheap price DELIVERED :Y: Goes well with this

1533116319_camp_oven.jpg

and this :Y:

1533116452_gas_ring_mount_2.jpg

Side note on Snowies ................ brought a swag from Snowies and there was a mix up in delivery and item. They upgraded me to the top model swag at no charge ............... excellent to deal with :Y:

Well ,,, seen and heard it all on tonights re-run of the tv series SHARKTANK...... tonight.... there was a bloke that comes from SA who I thought said he invented the screw tent peg , he call his version the hex head, they sell for $55 a 4 pack and around $120 for the 10 pack , so , throw away those aldi pegs, the bunnings landscaping screws, why ????? because a Shark opted in to a deal. wants a $1 a peg for the next 160,000 pegs sold..... so .... we just gotta help him out before he does his dough, all you cheapskates ..... like me, that bought 20 pegs ,,, opps ,,,200mm long landscaping screws for a $1 each

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
Well ,,, seen and heard it all on tonights re-run of the tv series SHARKTANK...... tonight.... there was a bloke that comes from SA who I thought said he invented the screw tent peg , he call his version the hex head, they sell for $55 a 4 pack and around $120 for the 10 pack , so , throw away those aldi pegs, the bunnings landscaping screws, why ????? because a Shark opted in to a deal. wants a $1 a peg for the next 160,000 pegs sold..... so .... we just gotta help him out before he does his dough, all you cheapskates ..... like me, that bought 20 pegs ,,, opps ,,,200mm long landscaping screws for a $1 each

did see that last night but he went with the bloke with connections to
oztrail,gave away 40% also,big stake of his business,thought 25% would of been a decent no.....

after shopping around early this year i ended up buying my camp oven mate from snowy's on line a few months ago it was the cheapest way to go .
johno

shakergt said:
Jaros said:
Ha, ha, the tents blown to shreds but the pegs remain......no offence.

Just about right. I got sick of not being able to hammer pegs into hard ground. With an impact drill I have even had them go trough tree roots.

The wife and I have just returned from a 1/2 Lap of Oz. During which time we met some Scandiniavian toursts on their first day, trip of the Gibb River. They had little " backpacker" style pegs for their Roof top tent. I watched them trying to hammer these "bits of wire" into the ground before giving them some home made 1/2 Reo bar pegs from my spares.

Jeez..
How funny is that, just got home from a weeks camp with the kids and another two families, and here we have this article about screw pegs.

Just bought some Aldi's to try, ok and did their job well but soft and bend. Landscape screws I have also, but didnt use them.
Why would I change from this ????

Put them in with a Milwalkie rotary hammer drill - bit of over kill BUT they went straight in no fuss ! LOL LOL

The reo pegs are on the list to make up, got to bring my MIG back into life....... :Y:

OzzieAu said:
My post no. 32 in this thread shows the pegs I use.... you wont buy better :power:

Yep I reckon they would be a GOOD thing but I am short of the need and cash for them, so to go along with the Aldi and Landscape scews
I will weld up some heavy pegs from reo as I have a stack of it in my yard, probably enough to make 60 or so 400mm pegs, but I like that
hook shape at the top so I might add that feature to them.
Chop saw is going to get a work out too.

:eek: ;)

Some genius stuff in this section,

LED light stands, led strip clips, shower ideas, spun steel gas ovens, safe wood chop blocks - all good stuff !!

Keep them coming lads. :D :Y:

Nightjar said:
Have now now got our caravan shower up and running faultlessly.
Fitted a length of capped 150mm pvc up under the van, an extra 12V pressure pump and plumbed it into the original shower piping.
Fitted isolation valves to prevent any shower water contaminating the drinking water.
Now the best part;
We heat 10 litres of water in a metal bucket over the camp fire.
Tip the bucket into the shower recess, switch on the pump and you can stand under the shower with the water recirculating until the water goes cold.
Two welcome showers every night with just 10 litres of water. We carry enough shower water to last us free camping for a fortnight.

**** Rule number 1 to 10, no peeing in the shower.***** ;)

top idea , but the showing in used water is not appealing (even if it is the wifes) :(

We all forget things or need to make do when camping.

Last weekend I took my 9yr old camping and crabbing with rakes for Blue Crabs, she had a great time for an over nighter.
We pitched the tent and she made the bed, built a trench fire in the sand, looked at the stars, had long talks, did some night critter
observation by spotlight, froze our bums overnight as the temp dropped.
Had cereal and warm milk by blow torch heat O:) (my fav fire lighter), got organised and caught a few crabs (I had two left foot booties in different sizes 9 and 10)
She collected shells, handled a Banjo shark, cooked and ate some crab.

1540204852_img_1753.jpg

We had organised pies for Sunday lunch (pies with fly's maybe) but I did not bring my vehicle pie warmer or a grill mesh
for the 'trench fire'.

Challenge accepted and CRUSHED !

When camping, never say die, so I took a quick assessment and we packed up sleeping gear while the pies were warming,
we sat in a fly proof environment with fresh air and had really well warmed crispy crust pies with a cold coke.

1540204621_img_1763.jpg

1540203693_img_1764.jpg

Crab rake and a tailgate off the trailer - had the oven bag in the kitchen kit, heated all in about 10min and opened the bag to allow crisping,
perfectly done ! Better than at home.
Sat in the fly proof tent, what a great lunch and good company.

We wont be beaten !!

Then she got to drive us out to the tar road in the 4wd and with the trailer, roughly 5km.
LOL It's okay she has done it before when she was 8yrs old ;) :Y:

Trips like that your kids will remember forever, it's sometimes the little "disasters that stick in your mind"
I love the times spent sitting around a campfire and cooking over coals, the quiet of the evenings as the birdsong is the only sound you can hear as the sun finally drops below the horizon, the surroundings take on a completely different complexion and everything is right with the world.
:D