⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked for a few months doing exploration drilling west north west of Bedourie in QLD and it gets bloody hot up there. We were 2hrs away from civilization. And it was winter. Id fly home to tassie and it'd be snowing. To warm for me :D

We used to hunt goats and pigs at Yaraka to the east of Bedourie. I remember that large areas of the property were criss- crossec with a grid pattern of tracks and drill sites left over from oil exploration in the 50's

We were drilling core samples for minerals hoping to hit another Mt Isa type of ore body. We left it the same we found it with no trace we were there

1540110611_screenshot_20181021-192910_gallery.jpg

Trip down to north east tassie. Biggest blue sapphire is 5.1ct. Lots of hiking and disappointments when no luck in certain areas. Guess the thrill of finding a good spot is to tempting.

Yeeeeew! Coupla nice blues and greens and some nice chunky topaz, how could you not have a good time up there! It's a beautiful spot to dig.

Hello, very nice finds, but I am too far away to even try , we don't have good spots in Adelaide like yours , maybe one day I will go there :lol: if I have the courage to do it

Hello 22shells, I am surprised now, you are in Adelaide and I was saying nothing over here I did not even know you could find stones like those in here, woww :eek:

liliane said:
Hello 22shells, I am surprised now, you are in Adelaide and I was saying nothing over here I did not even know you could find stones like those in here, woww :eek:
Hi, yes S.A. is hard to find good stones. Wish there was somewhere close to go looking for sapphires, but there's not. Some types of quartz can come up allright once it's cut.

"Managed to get a couple of bits of topaz from the Weld river area this weekend. If anyone wants to know where to find tiny gems I can help you out!"

Hi Dave79, sorry I don't know how to PM

CanFam here, I will be flying into Hobart next Wednesday, I have a few days there doing the touristy things, a trip to the Lune river for the day, and then a trip around Tas. I have a few questions about the Weld river as I plan to spend a day up there fossicking.

Looking at the weather (rain,) is this a big river and could I get rained out?

I understand that the area below the bridge is pretty well picked, is there any areas around there that are easily accessible? I will have a rental car so I cannot do any crazy stuff.

Any help would be great. If you could PM that would be great.

Thanks

CanFam

CanFam, you need to have 10 posts before you can PM members, mate (and they can PM you). Make another one or two and you'll be good to go.

Gilly47, hello and thanks, I have been to the hills but my knowledge is small compared to you and I can't tell which is which :lol: I need to study

Latest posts