⭐ Treasure Hunting Show & Tell - Show us your favourite, oldest, best finds.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is up there for me as a fav :cool:

1539593575_wp_20180927_11_04_25_pro_li.jpg

No photo yet but at work i was putting in posts for a color bond fence at a nursing home in montrose vic, dug up what i thought was batteries but was an old hessian bag full of live bullets and full magazine clips. Job got put on hold while the bomb squad scanned the ground for explosives.. police said it could of been old war stuff and took the lot. Ill put photos up when i get them off my old phone..

1539677588_20181016_190255-600x800.jpg
bush wack said:
No photo yet but at work i was putting in posts for a color bond fence at a nursing home in montrose vic, dug up what i thought was batteries but was an old hessian bag full of live bullets and full magazine clips. Job got put on hold while the bomb squad scanned the ground for explosives.. police said it could of been old war stuff and took the lot. Ill put photos up when i get them off my old phone..
1539677827_20181016_190422-600x800.jpg

1539677827_20181016_190502-600x800.jpg

1539677827_20181016_190531-800x600.jpg

you said you were putting in posts for a color bond fence at a nursing home in montrose vic how long has that nursing home been there that area must have been dug up at some stage i would think leveling out/laying lawn etc etc JMO
police said it could of been old war stuff -- doubt that very much the bag is in to good condition for a start
and in my years in service the only ones i know that used shot guns was SAS (i may be wrong)
i think and its just my opinion some one hid it there so as not to get busted with it then i would say forgot it was there

I knew it wasn't war stuff because im pretty sure shot guns aren't military. The fence was right on the boundary of an old section that i belive was being updated soon after i was finished. I reckon one of the old boys had boxes of stuff in the shed and when family moved him in they didn't know what to do with it so dumped it in a shallow grave.. or a bit of crim work. Police evacuated a few small units at the home while the bomb squad searched for grenades and other suff that could go off. Bit over the top but suppose they had to treat it as seriously as possible.

bush wack said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../10037/1539677588_20181016_190255-600x800.jpg
bush wack said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../10037/1539677827_20181016_190422-600x800.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../10037/1539677827_20181016_190502-600x800.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../10037/1539677827_20181016_190531-800x600.jpg

Not military as you will see that the .303 rounds have a lead tip. That's outlawed in war. Many RAAF bases used to have 12 gauge shotguns for pest control. I fixed a few Breda shotguns in my time.

Probably someone who wanted to get rid of some old ammo.

Cheers

Doug

Bush Chook said:
Smallest horse-shoe I've come across. Favourite solely due to its size of around 6 cm long (probably around 2 1/2 inches in the old language).
Most probably came off a miners boot, I have a few of them also that vary in size.
The smaller ones would have come a chinaman's boot.

Aha Reddy - that would explain the wear on the 'horse-shoe' too! OK - back to the drawing board then. Not Mr Ed's shoe at all.

My favorite find occurred at Muckleford near Castlemaine in Victoria. I was a raw beginner armed with my newly purchased Whites GMZ detector. After 3 or 4 fruitless hours walking dry gullies, and all the time wondering if I had the settings where they needed to be, then I got signal :eek: WOW! I'm rich!! ;) Then after much scratching through the leaf litter, I found my PRIZE and it was an aluminum Pigeon leg ring:/. After cleaning I could see that there were numbers and letters on the ring and that piqued my interest. So on arriving home I got onto the internet and found that the bird was registered to the Victorian Pigeon Racing Union. I sent off an email to the current secretary of the VPRU and he responded that the bird to which the ring was attached was registered and "ringed" in 1965 which was fully 30 years before my find. So why was the ring where I found it? The secretary said that the bird was most likely entered into a homing pigeon race by the bird's owner and that the bird likely fell prey to a hawk or a falcon or fell from exhaustion. I thought it would be nice to inform the owner of the fate and whereabouts of where his bird fell but the VPRU records were lacking and of those surviving from that time, none referenced back to the breeder or the owner and also there was no certainty that the owner was still alive!.

When you think about it very object that you unearth has a history waiting the be revealed so continue "digging" because you don't know what more you will find.

casper

Latest posts