Minelab SDC2300 or GPX4000 / GPX4500 / GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reg Wilson said:
Retirement stone, you forgot to post the weight, and how long it took to accumulate. If you got that in a few days that would impress. If it took a year, not so.

I live 4hr drive from the nearest gold field in NSW. I get away about once every 6 weeks on average and stay for about 4 nights at a time. I still have a full time job. That amount is about 58gms.

I ve been detecting for about 4 years now and have had the SDC for 3?

I bought GPX4500 and could not master it with the limited time I get to go out and detect. I sold the GPX. Now have the GPZ which is a big SDC.

Nsw is tough to find gold. With the SDC I always come home with a little bit of gold.

Cheers

RS

Retirement Stone, with both a 7000 and an SDC you have quite an investment in detectors, and by your own admission 'a touch of insanity mixed with Gold Fever', but that's cool. People spend that sort of money on all sorts of hobbies that give no return. At least you get something back.

Thanks Reg.

I guess it highlights that the question of which detector is best depends on a vast multitude of other personal factors.

Cheers

RS

stevenj48 said:
Thanks all for the input.

I am leaning towards the 4500 but before I commit I am going to hire both machines out for a day each to make up my final decision.
That may not help you. You will find the 4500 is a steep learning curve. It's a great machine but harder to learn than the SDC which is basically switch on and detect.
My advice for what it's worth is. Get out with someone who has a 4500 and then with someone who has an SDC. Then decide.
Cheers.

StevenJ

I bought the sdc and that is still the only detector I have
For the first few months I found it a bit disheartening as I wasn't finding much at all.
Other guys around me with 4500's were doing much better.

Now that i have gained a bit more knowledge and accept that i am going for shallow gold - happy as pig in poo.
As stated above - i can pack everything in a backpack and go.

When the sdc pays for itself I will upgrade though.

Also same as above I am 5 hours from gold country so don't get out that much.

Neil

Good choice with the SDC.

I know countless people whove paid theirs off many time over, one couple in particular who get on average 15 to 20 oz every season.

Shep said:
I picked up 186 grams with my sdc last week, biggest piece was 12g. I reckon you would be working pretty hard to pan that

You need to join up with Aussie Gold Hunters and let'em turn that into a bigger number. It can be done with the help of a few geo's at the side of the road and a chopper handy at the ready for an extra earn :playful:.

186gm in a week :Y: got any pictures especially the 12gm that's very impressive :Y: well done.

madtuna said:

I know countless people whove paid theirs off many time over, one couple in particular who get on average 15 to 20 oz every season.

WTF :8 do they sleep, 15 to 20 ounces with a 2300 in a season I'd love to see their total season nuggets in one photo. Just the thought has my mind in overdrive mind you the photo wouldn't do it justice imo.

RM Outback said:
madtuna said:

WTF :8 do they sleep, 15 to 20 ounces with a 2300 in a season I'd love to see their total season nuggets in one photo. Just the thought has my mind in overdrive mind you the photo wouldn't do it justice imo.

Yep and have thier days off. Just very methodical in thier detecting, confidence in themselves and thier machines

That Russian gold has definitely been faked. The gold is real, but has been melted and poured. Not natural nuggets. I have seen enough gold in my time to know the difference. See how some slugs appear smooth in parts but rough in others, and one in particular shows shrink marks from cooling. A fraud.

For starters, I own both machines (GPX4500 and SDC2300), use both machines, find gold with both machines, and love both machines ... neither are a replacement for the other. I put both machines over the same ground if I've pulled gold out of it.

I would ignore what reg wilson is saying, he clearly likes the sound of his own voice, which is a shame for us all who have to read through the bullshit he is typing.

If I showed you both machines over a test bed you would pick the GPX every day of the week, it is an incredibly powerful detector, it would leave you thinking the SDC is useless, if we then went out into the field you'd pick the SDC every day of the week, it's light, it's simple, it's auto ground tracking is excellent, and it's extremely sensitive and even with the latest spiral wound EVO coils the GPX doesn't come close to it's beautifully sharp response on small gold, on <0.5 gram pieces the SDC will have an edge especially if the gold is prickly and reefy, this seems to be the bulk of gold people are still finding out in the goldfields and you can get at least a few pieces pretty much each and every day.

As far as actually finding gold, either machine will find good gold and will sooner or later pay itself off if that's an end goal, the absolute biggest factor is the operator and how smart and hard working you are, those with good work ethic and those who spend the time to learn both their machine and the ground that they are working are the operators that do well, there are plenty of people I've come across in my travels with SDC's who spend a bloody long time finding absolutely nothing, a machine that should find gold almost daily, the biggest factor in your success will not be the machine.

Darren Cole Gold, what exactly do you mean? If you are referring to the Russian gold it is obviously a set up job. If you are referring to something else then please elaborate. I see you only joined this forum in April this year, and you are already an expert.