Help with the Gold Monster 1000 please.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
Im still new to all this and my gm 1000 is really confusing me..
I hold it up and turn it on:
Put it on full manual setting (before the black center appears):
Pump it about 3 inches off the ground untill ground noise fades:
Put it on full depth because i dont cere what i dig up..
It just goes nuts! Im on my dads farm in bealiba central Victoria and theres lots and lots of hot rocks that send it crazy.. is there any way of discriminating hot rock?
I really started doing this because after a flood i found old rings, coins, an anzac badge and a Mayflower pendant. If anyone would like to teach me how to use this detector ill let you come and prospect our 100 acre farm thats literally surrounded by old mines and diggings but the land has always bern for farming so virtually untouched since the early 1950s when the bealiba nugget was found.
Any help is good help
Cheers everyone.

Yep you got me....We're on our way....Where are you? Oh, just a few thousand kilometres down the road......Just give me a few days to chew this over but Mrs M has already given me the go-ahead to make a few adjustments to our tight schedule.....

Honestly bush wack that's a generous offer and I think you're going to have to fight them off with a stick.. :) :)

Moneybox said:
Yep you got me....We're on our way....Where are you? Oh, just a few thousand kilometres down the road......Just give me a few days to chew this over but Mrs M has already given me the go-ahead to make a few adjustments to our tight schedule.....

Honestly bush wack that's a generous offer and I think you're going to have to fight them off with a stick.. :) :)

I'll follow Moneybox :p

Hi bush wack,

All I have found was to get to know the different signal tones. Most hot rocks can be brushed aside with the foot after initial detection. If the signal is still there, dig it. I have found that Auto Plus on the left side of the screen is best and let the detector work it out from there. Leave it on deep and dig all the signals to ensure you don't miss any of the treasure. Volume to suit your hearing level.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Doug

1539435569_20180403_153048_crop_744x678.jpg

Cheers for the reply's guys,
I tell myself every time i start to prospect " right this time ill dig every noise" but i give up because it will take me all day to move 5 meters.. i do have a little nugget that i chuck around (in a little bag so i dont loose it) but sometimes it seems to be over powered by the high mineral ground and seems to miss it. Well i put the pics up of the relics i found and i would put pics up of the farm but i dont want people helping themselves.. this offer is for 1 lucky prospector that is willing to pop in and show me how its done one weekend there free.. its a 3 hour drive for me so im mainly there on long weekends, plenty of good yabby dams as well.

Cheers again everyone

Yeah im a tad worried, my issue is that i trust everyone and ive been stung a few times before. my other issue is that i haven't run this past the old man yet, he lives on the farm and is one of those grumpy stubborn old weather beaten farmers. he lets me dig because he knows im crap at it and im cleaning up bits of wire around the farm. I best put the offer on hold for now until i organize this a bit better..
Now i feel bad and i should of thought this through.
I will chat with the family in the morning and see what there thoughts are before i do anything else..

I think you'd do better to wait until you make friends with others in the same game. Unfortunately you can't trust strangers found online when it comes to gold and treasure. We're all looking for good ground but some are just out to take what they can get. You'll find a big padock full of nothing but holes next time you go back if you get the wrong guy there.

I'm sure online help or joing with others in a public place will get you started.

Bush wack have you or your dad seen the bealiba beast have heard lots of stories about it cheers Muk.

bushwack, your vlf detector will have lots of problems in the mineralized ground of Bealiba. I suggest you hire a Pulse Induction detector from Coiltek and see the difference in what you are experiencing. Use a double D coil, and you will find it will deal with the ground much better and give more depth as well. VLFs are good detectors, but a bit limited.

Hi Bushwack,

My monster is noisey, the highest manual setting is very sensitive, try knocking it back to half way and learn the important sounds, it will chirp all day but run a gold ring over the coil and remember that sound.
The first auto setting lowers the sensitivity to hot rocks and reduces the depth also, this setting is a bit quieter and allows you to cancel out hot rocks by moving the coil over it a few times.
Keep the coil moving and let it chirp, the gold, brass and lead will scream.
Check out Nugget Shooter on YouTube he has some good advice on the monsters settings

Cheers Rob

I own the monster and find it very knock sensitive, also if the cable to the coil is loosely wrapped the movement will also produce false signals

I have just bought a Monster and have done a lot of reading and you-tubing about it. So, therefore, my experience is limited with that machine but, I think you have to select 'full depth' before you ground balance. That's because shallow and full depth are basically two different discrimination settings. (That's my take on it and I am open to further education.) I see that the coil has to be constantly moving to maintain ground balancing.

Also, many detectors can run a fine line with ground balance settings and, consequently, will be knock or bump sensitive.

I agree with Robn243, Nugget Shooter on You Tube seems to have a good handle on the Monster.

All that aside, I'm looking forward to getting out there with the new machine.

:)

Your best to run it manually
I run mine at 4-5 all metal mode.
Turn the volume down and boost away
Clears up all the noise really well
That way you can hear deeper and smaller targets.

Latest posts