Turon River NSW level status

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is it going now? Has the flow just about stopped or does it have a enough at the bars to run a sluice?

Gday Everyone,
I crossed the Turon at Coles Bridge on my way to Bathurst this morning and the river is gently flowing along now . It would only be a couple of feet deep atr the bridge. It is very muddy but that will improve. It looks like it would be OK for paning and running a high bancker and ever a river sluice.

Bob

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone has been out along turon over last weekend? If so was it flowing or still? Cheers

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone has been out along turon over last weekend? If so was it flowing or still? Cheers

I went out for a bit on the weekend, was still flowing where I was, but I did have to pick my spot well and bucket material a way to it. It certainly is low, I went to Mitchells as well and where I went there it was not moving at all, could not even run the 6" sluice. Didn't mind as I have been playing with a Banjo Pan and a Gold Hog Flowpan. Plus there were a few crevices and bits of open bedrock I have not seen in a while.

Thinking of heading out Thursday til Sunday with the swag and gear.

No flow can sometimes be a great advantage. The turon and meroo will usually always pool water in places. This can let you get at crevices that are normally impossible to work. And it can help you read the creek in a different way.

mudgee hunter said:
No flow can sometimes be a great advantage. The turon and meroo will usually always pool water in places. This can let you get at crevices that are normally impossible to work. And it can help you read the creek in a different way.

Yes mudge hunter your exactly right, little to no flow is what i was after haha??

Hey guys and gals
Im looking at heading to sofala in less than 2 weeks and wondering if the river is flowing after the recent rains?
I want enough flow to run my mini cell sluice.

Thanks in advance

It's much better than it was, you won't have too much trouble running a 6" mini cell. I have been up there a few times in the last fortnight and have been able to run the 12", it's still patchy but you can pick your spots. Two weeks ago I was lazy and worked an easily accessible spot to make it easier on my kid, I had to cart paydirt about 15-20m to be able to sluice it but since then we have had some decent rain and I also have picked my spots better.
I went south today rather than heading up the Turon, the place I worked had more water than I have seen it in ages, was like ice too. It was actually annoying because all the usual bedrock/crevices were covered and it was equally as hard to find a spot to put the 12" in to sluice.

When do you plan to be in Sofala?

I was thinking of camping at the 1st crossing sometime and putting some good days in.

Wow thanks for the detailed reply mate.
I was at sofala in the middle of july and the water had literally an inch of ice on it so i not to worried about the cold.

Will be somewhere between first and coles bridge on the 24th to the 27th of anyone is interested in meeting up for a dig or detect.

Latest posts