You are not logged in.

  • Register to access all forum features  

#401

Heatho
Moderator
From: Sydney, NSW
Joined: 29 April 2013
Posts: 12,851
Moderator
11 October 2018 06:02 pm

Definitely not a ruby due to the colour, to be honest I'm not sure if it's a sapphire either but hey it could be.


Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

#402

Firepanther
Member
Joined: 02 October 2018
Posts: 91
Member
11 October 2018 06:16 pm

Yeah i thought unless it was a pink to red colour then it was a sapphire. I was told uv lights show rubies due to the chromium content in them? It definitely looks like a sapphire and can see through it pretty well but thats why i thought I'd ask here as I am not very experienced. If not sapphire i wonder what else it could be? Thanks for the input heatho

Last edited by Firepanther (11 October 2018 06:32 pm)

1 user likes this post: Heatho

#403

Pat Hogen
Member
Joined: 02 January 2018
Posts: 122
Member
11 October 2018 07:23 pm

I have this challenge for you Goldierocks, found associating with Chalcedony geodes and a stone that appears to be limestone origin as in coral;

1539246212_dscn1811.jpg
1539246212_dscn1812.jpg
1539246212_dscn1813.jpg


Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

#404

Firepanther
Member
Joined: 02 October 2018
Posts: 91
Member
11 October 2018 07:24 pm

Im an idiot yikes the missus asked if the reason it glows might be because its a mixture of a blue sapphire and ruby to make purple like colours do. Quick google search proved her theory to be correct. Apparently purple has trace amounts of elements found in both sapphires and rubies. I'll never hear the end of how she was right ops

2 users like this post: Ded Driver, Mungoman

#405

Lefty
Member
Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 1,810
Member
11 October 2018 09:12 pm

Firepanther wrote:

Im an idiot yikes the missus asked if the reason it glows might be because its a mixture of a blue sapphire and ruby to make purple like colours do. Quick google search proved her theory to be correct. Apparently purple has trace amounts of elements found in both sapphires and rubies. I'll never hear the end of how she was right ops

Mate, they are always right playful

2 users like this post: Mungoman, Mackka

#406

Firepanther
Member
Joined: 02 October 2018
Posts: 91
Member
11 October 2018 09:20 pm

Lefty wrote:
Firepanther wrote:

Im an idiot yikes the missus asked if the reason it glows might be because its a mixture of a blue sapphire and ruby to make purple like colours do. Quick google search proved her theory to be correct. Apparently purple has trace amounts of elements found in both sapphires and rubies. I'll never hear the end of how she was right ops

Mate, they are always right playful

Ain't that the truth lol

#407

Lucky leprechaun
Newbie
Joined: 19 August 2018
Posts: 7
Newbie
11 October 2018 10:17 pm

I'm new to all this and wanted some expert eyes on it before I crush it. Found this little fella in the river near Canberra while doing a clean up, it was shinny even though it was overcast, various shades of copper and gold when its not wet and not in light, I'm thinking quartz and Pyrite but guess if it holds it color in the shade maybe not. It weighs 260grms if that means much, it seems heavy for its size. cheers
1539255982_todays_find.jpg
1539257045_today1.jpg
1539257094_today.jpg

Last edited by Lucky leprechaun (11 October 2018 10:30 pm)

#408

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,073
Member
11 October 2018 10:49 pm

Pat Hogen wrote:

I have this challenge for you Goldierocks, found associating with Chalcedony geodes and a stone that appears to be limestone origin as in coral;

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … cn1811.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … cn1812.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … cn1813.jpg

I suspect that you might be looking at material of quite different ages. The older consisting of a radial crystal aggregate of tremolite or actinolite (although there might be other possibilities). The younger - your "limestone" a weathering calcrete where the tremolite is near surface.


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

#409

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,073
Member
11 October 2018 10:53 pm

goldierocks wrote:
Pat Hogen wrote:

I have this challenge for you Goldierocks, found associating with Chalcedony geodes and a stone that appears to be limestone origin as in coral;

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … cn1811.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … cn1812.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … cn1813.jpg

I suspect that you might be looking at material of quite different ages. The older consisting of a radial crystal aggregate of tremolite or actinolite (although there might be other possibilities). The younger - your "limestone" a weathering calcrete where the tremolite is near surface.

Referred to here as actinolite asbestos (asbestos just means fibrous):

https://www.asbestos.com/wp-content/upl … stos-1.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/e80a … 00_jpg_srz

Last edited by goldierocks (11 October 2018 10:55 pm)


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

#410

Pat Hogen
Member
Joined: 02 January 2018
Posts: 122
Member
12 October 2018 02:38 pm

Interesting; the specimen appears to be a puffball of ...crete hosted by a radial something. Your posts bring the combination to an interesting deduction.

Last edited by Pat Hogen (12 October 2018 02:39 pm)


Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

#411

Lucky leprechaun
Newbie
Joined: 19 August 2018
Posts: 7
Newbie
12 October 2018 06:36 pm

Had a closer look today, Goldie is right, its sedimentary. I hit it with the hand shovel and nothing when I found it, its harder than limestone I've found before so didn't think it was conglomerate, but there you have it.

1 user likes this post: goody2shoes

#412

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,073
Member
12 October 2018 07:28 pm

Lucky leprechaun wrote:

Had a closer look today, Goldie is right, its sedimentary. I hit it with the hand shovel and nothing when I found it, its harder than limestone I've found before so didn't think it was conglomerate, but there you have it.

It is what we call pedogenic (soil) calcrete and has the composition of limestone. Usually rocks (such as the tremolite rock) break down by weathering at surface into fragments to form loose gravel. However at certain latitudes and under certain conditions (rainfall, topography), a layer of calcrete soil forms near surface and cements the gravel pebbles together to form pedogenic (soil) calcrete.


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

1 user likes this post: Mungoman

#413

22shells
Member
Joined: 11 September 2014
Posts: 187
Member
14 October 2018 07:43 pm

Found this yesterday, thought it was a garnet embedded in rock. But it has pentagon sides, and I think garnets have diamond shaped sides? So probably not a garnet? It's pretty small, about a couple mm across, so it's hard to do tests on.1539506592_pa141048.jpg

2 users like this post: Detectist, Gunna

#414

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,073
Member
15 October 2018 04:47 pm

22shells wrote:

Found this yesterday, thought it was a garnet embedded in rock. But it has pentagon sides, and I think garnets have diamond shaped sides? So probably not a garnet? It's pretty small, about a couple mm across, so it's hard to do tests on.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/img/member-images/3817/1539506592_pa141048.jpg

Limonite after pyrite in pentagonal dodecahedron form?:

https://ricenorthwestmuseum.org/2015/09 … haping-up/

Last edited by goldierocks (15 October 2018 04:48 pm)


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

1 user likes this post: 22shells

#415

Firepanther
Member
Joined: 02 October 2018
Posts: 91
Member
15 October 2018 07:01 pm

1539590320_20181015_185810.jpg
1539590321_screenshot_20181015-185735_gallery.jpg
1539590322_screenshot_20181015-185749_gallery.jpg
1539590322_screenshot_20181015-185718_gallery.jpg
So thought this was quartz but couldn't get a scratch from topaz on it but sapphire leaves mark. Has like black crystal veins? running through it.

3 users like this post: Gunna, 7.62marksman, RM Outback

#416

Dave79
Member
Joined: 30 May 2018
Posts: 552
Member
15 October 2018 07:07 pm

Nice, have got a few bits with those black spikes in them from up there. Im thinking its tourmaline, will chuck em in the tumbler and see how they come out.


Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one keeps getting away!

#417

Firepanther
Member
Joined: 02 October 2018
Posts: 91
Member
15 October 2018 07:19 pm

Yeah it looks weird. 46ct so not small.

#418

Lefty
Member
Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 1,810
Member
15 October 2018 08:22 pm

Looks like waterworn smoky quartz, but you say it's too hard to be that?

I was shown some brown topaz crystals while digging kn far north QLD - the colour of them would have had me saying they were smoky quartz but the un-weatherd crystal in its perfect original shape showed that they were indeed topaz.

Interestngly, I believe that treated blue topaz is made that colour by first irradiatiing colourless topaz which turns brown in response. The brown topaz is then heated and turns intense blue.

#419

Firepanther
Member
Joined: 02 October 2018
Posts: 91
Member
15 October 2018 08:34 pm

Lefty wrote:

Looks like waterworn smoky quartz, but you say it's too hard to be that?

I was shown some brown topaz crystals while digging kn far north QLD - the colour of them would have had me saying they were smoky quartz but the un-weatherd crystal in its perfect original shape showed that they were indeed topaz.

Interestngly, I believe that treated blue topaz is made that colour by first irradiatiing colourless topaz which turns brown in response. The brown topaz is then heated and turns intense blue.

So after you said a smokey quartz which was my 1st instinct i tried several areas for scratch tests. The clearer areas left no visible marks but the darker area left marks. So im guessing its quartz but i should test more area next time. Is it common to have a spots that matk and other spots not?

Last edited by Firepanther (15 October 2018 08:34 pm)

#420

Lefty
Member
Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 1,810
Member
15 October 2018 08:49 pm

Can be directional though i wouldnt have tnought quartz would show that feature strongly.

#421

Shaza1
Member
Joined: 28 October 2017
Posts: 32
Member
04 November 2018 12:22 pm

Hey everyone smile I finally got some time to myself yesterday and decided to go panning for gold ( no luck I’m bad at it haha ) but.. I did find a lot of interesting stones, I’m not sure I’m hoping maybe topaz, sapphires and garnets, and a long shot diamond. Your opinions are most welcomed smile
Thanks from Shaz smile
1541297006_955453f5-b0e7-4cc7-b132-7b28b9bc6549.jpg
1541297007_5ae1a36b-a3dd-40af-b2bc-e13530f8801d.jpg
1541297007_9c97956c-82b7-43c1-89c4-32624b709ec0.jpg

Last edited by Shaza1 (04 November 2018 01:03 pm)

1 user likes this post: Dave79

#422

Firepanther
Member
Joined: 02 October 2018
Posts: 91
Member
04 November 2018 01:37 pm

1541298938_20181104_133519.jpg
Im no expert but i would say the ones i circled in blue are quartz and red are topaz. Nice stones thumbsup

#423

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,073
Member
04 November 2018 04:15 pm

Lefty wrote:

Looks like waterworn smoky quartz, but you say it's too hard to be that?

I was shown some brown topaz crystals while digging kn far north QLD - the colour of them would have had me saying they were smoky quartz but the un-weatherd crystal in its perfect original shape showed that they were indeed topaz.

Interestngly, I believe that treated blue topaz is made that colour by first irradiatiing colourless topaz which turns brown in response. The brown topaz is then heated and turns intense blue.

That is my understanding re irradiation to get blue topaz. Heaps of it on sale in Rio and someone warned me that the colour was not one that occurs naturally but was induced. I don't know, but I have never actually seen it naturally that colour when prospecting.


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

#424

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,073
Member
04 November 2018 04:15 pm

I can't see a diamond - which one?


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

#425

Shaza1
Member
Joined: 28 October 2017
Posts: 32
Member
04 November 2018 06:37 pm

goldierocks wrote:

I can't see a diamond - which one?

Haha goldierocks,, I’m still sorting through that’s only the start of sorting... fingers crossed there is one in there playful


Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site

Top