Large nuggets sold to overseas buyers what's your thoughts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1987 I found a 3kg (98 troy oz) nugget south of Ballarat which became known as the 'Orange Roughie'. For two years I tried to find a buyer here in Australia. At an asking price of bullion on the day (spot gold) no buyers, so I sold it to 'Rattlesnake' John Ficket from Quartzite Arizona. Some years later it turned up in California where it was supposed to have been found, and called the 'Washington' nugget. A huge fraud. It is still on the internet.
My last decent piece (27.7ozs) was sold to a Chinese buyer last year. Unfortunately, nearly all my better pieces (7 over 20ozs) have gone overseas, as buyers here are hard to find.

In reguards to the beta hunt find,thats a small site thats been struggling,come november theyll be out of ore to cart,theyll be laying people off sadly,theyve had no money to expand,would be nice if finds like that stayed in oz or wernt crushed but these are businesses not charities,employees and overheads running costs etc have to be paid,be thankfull a junior miner like that is sitting on a few bits for a while so we can get a chance of viewing it,if it ended up in the crusher so people keep there jobs well thats reality.......

Reg Wilson said:
In 1987 I found a 3kg (98 troy oz) nugget south of Ballarat which became known as the 'Orange Roughie'. For two years I tried to find a buyer here in Australia. At an asking price of bullion on the day (spot gold) no buyers, so I sold it to 'Rattlesnake' John Ficket from Quartzite Arizona. Some years later it turned up in California where it was supposed to have been found, and called the 'Washington' nugget. A huge fraud. It is still on the internet.
My last decent piece (27.7ozs) was sold to a Chinese buyer last year. Unfortunately, nearly all my better pieces (7 over 20ozs) have gone overseas, as buyers here are hard to find.

Thanks for the real life input Reg, it is a pitty but when/if I find one I'd want the best value I could find. I found it an interesting article, I suppose we'll never know why investors don't buy local nuggets of significance yet I'm sure there are many opinions either way.

A couple of things Ive discovered that certainly help.

If you find a nugget of significant size, firstly as much as you want to flash it off.... dont!

A lot of buyers for what ever reason will pay extra for anonymity...I mean someone finds a hand of faith and its all over the news and forums and sits for sale at 1 million for 6 months before a buyer eventually picks it up after haggling it down to 950 thousand or it goes over seas.

Instead you find a hand of faith, tell not a soul but contact a few select brokers who will find you a buyer in pretty damn quick time and you walk away with a million in your sky rocket! :Y:

Could be worse! Could be sold and smelted!

1539243202_borrowed-it.jpg

Or hacked up by these champions

1539243341_8266996-3x2-700x467.jpg