You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Gem in I
09 October 2018 08:52 pm

I wrote corundum(sapphire) and zircon. I think they need to know what type of stones they are generally dealing with.

Cut for size (Not for weight otherwise you will end up with the goldfish bulbous stones).

I always pay extra for calibration (apparently easier to set in jewellery castings)
Include name,address,telephone no. and email address.
write return rejects. You won't be charged for them but at least they have a look at them.
write it all on a piece of paper and slip it inside with the stones.

ON FRONT OF POSTAGE ENVELOPE...….MINERAL SAMPLE ONLY NO COMMERCIAL VALUE.

Last edited by Gem in I (09 October 2018 08:53 pm)

Patience is a learnt thing. Learnt it, sold it. Bought DETERMINATION.
sdc 2300, Willoughby's, sieves and a Zombie 7000

1 user likes this post: Digginholes

Mr Magoo
09 October 2018 09:41 pm

Wishfull wrote:

Lefty. Can you help me with my ignorance, what is a windowed cut gem ?

1539081667_window.jpg

Lefty
10 October 2018 02:17 am

Lefty wrote:

There's a few of us here - myself, Pat, Sneaky Cuttlefish, Wally, Dihusky and a few others possibly.

Sorry mate, I have to rush out, I'll try and answer your questions when I get back.

Cheers

And of course Mr Magoo whom I forgot to mention ops Sorry MM, was a very long day.

Lefty
10 October 2018 02:20 am

Wishfull wrote:

Thanks Lefty. I had absolutely no idea what that meant. Hopefully a few other members learnt something as well. My wife still loves the smokey quartz you cut for her that we got set in silver. We may still get it set in gold one day when I can find enough.

Yeah, I loved how that one turned out smile thumbsup Those half-and-half smoky crystals should be faceted more often, they make wonderful gems. I've got an amethyst crystal here a bit like that, half purple half colourless, that I hope to get around to faceting sometime.

1 user likes this post: Wishfull

Mr Magoo
10 October 2018 02:27 am

Lefty wrote:
Lefty wrote:

There's a few of us here - myself, Pat, Sneaky Cuttlefish, Wally, Dihusky and a few others possibly.

Sorry mate, I have to rush out, I'll try and answer your questions when I get back.

Cheers

And of course Mr Magoo whom I forgot to mention ops Sorry MM, was a very long day.

No wuccas Lefty. big_smile I get very little time at the moment to do much cutting anyway, but here's a garnet I just sold.
Don't think I posted it here before.

1539098769_spessartite1.64ct.jpg

8 users like this post: 7.62marksman, Firepanther, Mackka, Wishfull, Gem in I, goody2shoes, Digginholes, Chiron52

Lefty
10 October 2018 02:36 am

Cheers MM, can't believe I'm awake again when I should be zzz

Nice one there mate thumbsup thumbsup What variety is it? I see it has an orange tone (or is that just my monitor?) Spessartine?

Cheers

Lefty
10 October 2018 02:38 am

Firepanther wrote:

Hey lefty had a look at some of your work. You seem passionate about it which is probaly why you stones look amazing

Cheers Firepanther smile yes, I do love my rocks cool A lot of time to do it properly but the results are worth it perfect

1 user likes this post: Gem in I

Mr Magoo
10 October 2018 09:52 am

Lefty wrote:

Cheers MM, can't believe I'm awake again when I should be zzz

Nice one there mate thumbsup thumbsup What variety is it? I see it has an orange tone (or is that just my monitor?) Spessartine?

Cheers

perfect trophy Yep. Spessartine. I've got a bit of a thing for garnet at the mo. Got another on the dop now. Not sure what type. It was sold as a 'Malaia' from but it has a colour shift. Which I don't think malaia do. Although hard to confirm one way or the other. Garnet being garnet does not follow any strict rules.

Anyway between 'bent dop stick syndrome' and a painful flaw it's going to be sub 1 ct when it should of been about 1.5. cry cry cry

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site