Large Quartz vein - is this worth investigating further?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I stumbled across this big chunk on the weekend in the golden triangle. Probably 40cm x 40xm in size. On top of an old rock dump. I couldn't see where all the rock was from but there was an old concrete battery base next to the monster pile. Is this rock worth attempting to smash up for a look? What is the dark rock?

Any advice would be great. A rock this size is not going to be easy to break up for a look inside

1539057012_1.jpg

1539057012_2.jpg

Smash it open a bit and see how much mineralisation is in there, then crush and pan it.

Gut feeling, it looks too white/clean. But always test and poke around the area a bit.

Use a big 6 foot crow bar that has plenty of weight/inertia, quartz breaks easy compared to some rocks.

If it's been left behind by someone that was operating a professional setup that probably tells you something.

I think I agree that it looks too clean??
You have a 705, roll the rock around and detect it from all sides??? If you get a hit, smash it... if you dont... dont...

1968falconxt said:
I figured it was probably left due to being worthless. It was on top of a really big rock dump
It and hundreds of others on most old mine dumps. While you might fluke a few colours in it, there is usually a good reason why they were not put through the battery - one sees hundreds of these in a day. Probably better ways to spend your energy unless your detector indicates something in it.