The Golden Triangle GT Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Magilla,

Only CP I've used in the GT is the Inglewood CP.
It's pretty basic but nice & safe & nearly all the other user will be like minded prospectors.
We are fully self contained also & tend to camp on site at the gold but we have stayed at Inglewood a few times.
Hope this helps.

Rob.

Magilla,

Dunolly is ordinary and full of permanents mostly and millions of resident flies and mozzies in Summer as is Maryborough near the lake.
Inglewood is good but again residents with barking bloody dogs.
Avoca is neat and tidy and we have stayed there a few times. The caravan Park near the racecourse in Bendigo is about the pic of the crop that we have stayed in. There are quite a few others in Bendigo but we haven't stayed there so we cant comment.
Castlemaine is a bit far away from most places unless you are concentrating on Maldon and Fryerstown etc.
There are some nice free camp areas out Stuart Mill way also.

GT :)

ballarat_gold said:
Daylesford should have water and camping near the bridge is easy

Thanks! As it (slowly) warms up I'm getting more excited about time out in the bush :)

Water is currently running steadily in Slaty and Cotty Creeks at Creswick. Many areas on both are hammered by the highbankers but I have always found and brought home some gold - specks, flakes and pickers - by pan and river sluice in my outings. I'd love more but am happy every time I go out and come back with any colour. :)

Sawpit Gully has water but it is moving more slowly - it's a narrow channel upstream from Wolfes Creek.

Edit: I'll be going out on Saturday and Sunday.

Yeah Vom, Creswick gets hammered so hard I have crossed it off my list of places to go last three times the amount of people banking was insane.

Hi all,

Heading away camping/detecting for the easter break and am in need of some advice as to where to go.
I used to have a few spots i went in the golden triangle where I usually found gold but havent had any luck for the last year or so.

The main reason im asking and not just persevering is that I'm taking my dad, who is in the very late stages of bone/prostate cancer.

I took him away this time last year on what we though was his last bucket list trip and we went to WA for 3 weeks. It was amazing.
He found his first piece of gold ever under the guidance of a trainer. He had a ball, but doesn't really feel like it was his piece of gold due to the help.

I want to take him away this weekend as he wont be mobile much longer and i'd like to be able to set him off and hopefully he pings a bit unassisted.

I know gold is where you find it... etc etc. But I hoped someone might know of a little spot they don't mind pointing me in the general direction of and we can camp for a few days, have a few beers and hopefully find him a piece. His detector blew up, so he will be using my gpx 5000. So this trip isnt for me, its for him.

Happy to talk via pm if you prefer, otherwise any advice would be great.

Cant help with the GT sorry and good luck and hope he finds a beauty.
Just curious though, did we meet last year on Erlistoun station?

Yeah mate we sure did. Was a great trip.
Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well over there.

Dad found his first bit out with Kim and he hasn't been well enough for long enough to find his next bit!

Mate I sincerly hope he finds a bit. Surely one of the GT mob will be along with some tips. Most probably in bed now.

Hey at ballarat for a couple of days then Bendigo
I've flogged a couple of pine plantations near Linton and Scarsdale heaps of old diggings bit no gold yet ! Help ! Lots of bullets and nails etc using sdc 2300
Can anyone give me s possible area to try ? Or even a meet up ? Saturday or Sunday ok

Big rob any where in the whipstick forest Bendigo is worth a look lots or junk but also lots of little nuggets if your lucky get a Tully map book and go your hardest thats what I do and mark the productive spots in my book and work from there cheers Muk.

Got a couple days off this week and was planning on camping a few days in the GT for a swing. Where Im not 100% sure but for some reason Waanyarra looks good. The reason Im making this post is Im a beginner prospector only using my gpx4500 once at the miners den training day in Bendigo and although not new to camping it will be either a solo trip or with dad.

Ive heard you can camp anywhere you want in state forests meaning you can camp literally on the gold which Ive been researching and finding shallow workings/leads on geovic but could this be a bad idea for someone with such little experience and a 2WD car?

Theres a camp ground in Waanyarra but a little voice tells me the area surrounding it has probably been flogged to death for over 30 years. And the appeal to camping outside of campgrounds means I can go to less popular spots.

You can safely camp at Waanyarra, lots of like minded people there atm. You can also navigate all the tracks around Waanyarra with a 2wd car.
Have a drive down Wet Gully Road, plenty of spots to have a swing, just remember, no one gets it all.
A copy of John Tully's maps would be invaluable for a newbie to the area. a great $20 investment.

an example

1555828573_jt.jpg

Go Wannyarra mate it's a great spot to base yourself as Redfin suggests get the Tully map book :Y: there is a water tank there but it isn't suitable for drinking(not even sure if it has any in it) so take in a few slabs of bottled water and wash up with water from the tank if it's available.

Latest posts