Exempt rivers and creeks Victoria - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bumped across this,
Oh jeez, just try and get a strait answer out of a gov dept...... impossible, when they tell you they can't give you a definitive answer and ask for that in writing HAHAHAHA bloody good luck.
All I could suggest is pump some water to your location or even just 50M away from the restricted stream, even a small bilge and a small lipo can move quite a bit of water.

I was seeking an answer to a different question, they just couldn't tell me yes or no on it, so I just don't do it, but I'm sure they couldn't prosecute me for it.
At the end of the day just make life easy for yourself and keep a positive light on our hobby so even more restrictions are not placed on us.

A previous thread was started regarding what ground about an exempt river is unavailable for prospecting.

I was wondering if I went to said creek , and dug up say a yard of gravel and chucked it in the back of my van and took it home , is this an illegal act ?
I need the gravel to make concrete and also to landscape my garden I would say to anyone in authority.
i mean i am not prospecting , but am possibly adversely affecting the river in a very similar way , possibly worse.

moeee said:
Smoky bandit said:
Yes it is.
Unfortunately :Y:
And you know that , How ?
Common sence mate is all it comes down to.If a river is exempt..Removal of anything will get you in trouble if you get caught :Y: ;)
You cant do anything anymore :N:

to me its VERY BASIC if you are NOT allowed to prospect in it then you sure as hell not allowed to dig bucket loads of stuff to take home
common sense should prevail i would think

7.62marksman said:
to me its VERY BASIC if you are NOT allowed to prospect in it then you sure as hell not allowed to dig bucket loads of stuff to take home
common sense should prevail i would think
i have found that common sense is NOT how LAWS work.
LAWS need to be written down precisely so a judge can actually determine if a LAW has been broken.

Anyway - thanks for your input
I guess I should be asking the ranger for a copy of the Law that says I am breaking it when he pulls me aside

lets do some maths
1 person takes home 8 x 20kg buckets in one day that = 160kg
now get 100 people taking home 8 buckets per day that = 16000kg
in one year you have no river/creek left to be on the exempt list
lets just follow the rules they may not be clear to some people but exempt means just that

The thing is marksman , if you apply that scenario then the same result would happen regardless of whether the river was on the exempt list.
Heck , a whole mountain would be no more in a comparitively short time.

1532578918_th_4.jpg

moeee the rules are pretty clear, not even taking into account an exempt waterway you can only disturb 1 cubic metre of material in a 48 hour period, you can only take away 25kg of it in a 48 hour period. So there goes your yard of gravel in the back of your van for starters, wilfully do it on a gazetted exempt watercourse and you are asking for trouble and for more imposing laws being enforced on our pastime.
If you have to question it, it's probably not worth doing in the first place. I have seen a few posts like this, what if I just wash material in an exempt creek, what if I took material above the waterline? what if I nighthawk and remove 6 trailer loads of material from an exempt creek at 2 am in the morning?

Gunter is spot on "Not following them (laws) results in even more laws"

7.62marksman said:
lets do some maths
1 person takes home 8 x 20kg buckets in one day that = 160kg
now get 100 people taking home 8 buckets per day that = 16000kg
in one year you have no river/creek left to be on the exempt list
lets just follow the rules they may not be clear to some people but exempt means just that
Awesome, that should be allowed until they get to the bedrock and then only I should be allowed in there :p

aussie chris Its not about prospecting.
Its about taking home material.

So 25kg is the amount of material I can take away from a not exempt river.
sheesh , thats not much

What gets bigger the more you take away from it ?

A HOLE

Some people just argue the point for the sake of arguing, we know who this is now and if i see someone do this in an exempt river, i will report that person.
There are no stupid questions but there are plenty of stupid ideas and to keep asking over and over again without getting it is just that "s****d".
Can this post be locked please because it is pretty senseless and gives other people wrong ideas.

moeee said:
aussie chris Its not about prospecting.
Its about taking home material.

At the start of the thread you said "I need the gravel to make concrete and also to landscape my garden I would say to anyone in authority."

You implied that it was for prospecting, you just happen to need gold-bearing gravel to mix into concrete? of course, you would extract it.

Don't try to beat around the bush mate, this is why there are rules in the first place. Plenty of people out there looking to 1up the next guy, interpreting laws how they want to. I see it all the time, blokes dredging when they clearly know it's illegal and you clearly know its illegal to prospect exempt creeks etc so why even start a thread like this, looking how to circumvent the law. It just makes it hard on the next person trying to do the right thing in a hobby that is under increasing scrutiny.

lonewolf26 said:
Hi all Im in victoria, I'm a newbie and really struggling to figure out where i can and cannot detect. I have the exempted river/creeks list. I also know that most nation parks are out of bounds. All i can find is info that says most state parks are ok? How do i know for sure? Im headed up donnolly creek way soon for a week or so. I know donnollys creek is on the exempted list so does that actualy mean just down in the creek or the edge of it, the bank or what? So sorry if these are stupid questions. Is everywhere else around that area ok eg. White star, morning star area, o'tools ect. Im not expecting to find much im just out to learn and get familiar with my detector. Just worried about doing the wrong thing. Thanks in advance for your help

Hi i was wondering how your adventures went with prospecting in donnelly's creek, and some of its tributaries. We are from lake glenmaggie and have a sdc 2300 recently purchased from minelab and did half day introductory session at Bendigo last week. found only shit pellets but wow the ground is so easy to detect in!

We have spent some time relic finding around Edwards Hill, found a rubbish dump with a few old match tins, broken clay pipes and bottles.

We detected with SDC2300 about 200 meters up concorn creek on the weekend up from store point camp site,and found a tiny nail, screw driver and a metal link. personally i wasnt expecitng much as the ground is most likeley well picked over.

thanks to your post i learnt about the rules in victoria and prospecting! we havent broken any laws yet!

Latest posts