Repairs to Garrett ADS Deepseeker power pack

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken2m

Ken
Reaction score
I have recently done the power pack/supply repairs and posted them within another thread but thought the topic of the other thread would make it hard to find when required. The ground hog of the same vintage may be the same or similar.

Well firstly the meter doesn't require to be disasembled there are no screws under it.

Firstly remove 3 screws from the top of the detector (none are under the meter)

Then remove the 5 screws in the underside of the detector. At the left end the screw that is not aligned comes out as well.

That allows the front pannel to be lifted as shown.

The battery tray holder and the faulty connector (Coloured brown).
The looped sections on the connector can be cut to aid removal only if you have new replacements.
This is an difficult job to do in situ but can be done.

If trying to re use the connector the easiest way that I can see is to remove the 4 pop rivets that hold the battery tray holder and connetor holder in place. Bottom RHS of photo.

The corosion on the pins easily explains why things weren't working.
If you are trying to reuse the connector you could turn it over to use the other side of the pins.

The corosion is just visible in the female connector even with the shocking photo.

The molex connector only makes contact on one side of the pins.This means if you cant get the connector you can clean and re-use the old one, but dont cut it out, remove the rivets and use pliers to remove from the holder. Use the oposite side of the connector.

My battery pack for the circuit board required quite extensive repairs.
Single core "bell wire" was used and only stripped where required.
I fitted the new connector, soldered the connector and wires, then cut the pieces of the connector that hook over the board off as per the original connector.

Ensure that the wires go to the correct pins as 36 volts is present on two of the pins which if connected wrongly will convert you metal detector into rubbish.
And just reverse the procedure to assemble. Ensure the screw holes that have the paint removed have un rusted screws in them, this is important for RF screening.
Take photo's of the internals as you go in case there are different variants of the same detector.

All up took about 1.5 hours including photo's. Ken.

I will be making my own power pack with 10 x 3.7Volt 9800mAh batteries so i get 37Volts.
The speaker batterie will be an 7.4Volt 8000mAh batterie pack and it will be connected to the internal box with charge connections to the outside of the unit.
I will be saving big on 9Volt batteries this way.
Will be writing up how i do it when the batteries are in.

The battery pack has 9V 18V 27V and 36V at different pins.

not so good for 9v at either 7.4v or 11.1v
you would have 18.5v for the 18v
you would have either 25.9v or 29.6v for the 27v
and 37v for the 36v

I didnt trace out the circuit at all but I would assume that voltages may need to be closer than what you could get with the choice of batteries you are planning.

I am not sure if all the voltages are used so if you only need the 9v and 36v you should be good, no better than good, great.

All pins on the connector had wires attached so the circuit will have to be traced out at least partially.

It will be good to hear how you get on. Good luck. Ken.

I looked at the pin out and there is only 9V and 36V going to the detector, so 9V parallel for the speaker and 36V for the detector.
Will let you knoe as soon as the batteries are in and connected.

Hi Ken2m. I am new to both detecting and this site so if anything seems inappropriate please let me know. I have been trying to find help with my new (old) Garrett ADS Deepseeker that I recently purchased. I have absolutely no idea how to use it correctly. I downloaded the manual for it but fail to fully understand it, I can get it to detect metal then something changes and I have to start again. I also seem to be detecting plain old river stones which I assume are just mineralised. Looking at your pictures the only difference on mine is what looks like an aftermarket addition that's only purpose seems to change the tone of the signal. Any help or if you can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

MartinM said:
I will be making my own power pack with 10 x 3.7Volt 9800mAh batteries so i get 37Volts.
The speaker batterie will be an 7.4Volt 8000mAh batterie pack and it will be connected to the internal box with charge connections to the outside of the unit.
Hi mate did you go ahead with your conversion to li-ion and if so would you have a wiring diagram for same ,i would like to convert the ADS Deepseeker that i got of mum it's a 1980 model and in good nick but using 6=9volt batteries is not on cheers.
1537867298_sam_1121.jpg

i did my Dad's , his wasn't corrosion , it was mis aligned when the batteries were 'pushed' in :(

it is a weak spot in the design of the unit ;)

but then again it's just over 40 years old :cool:

rodagaster said:
MartinM said:
Hi mate did you go ahead with your conversion to li-ion and if so would you have a wiring diagram for same ,i would like to convert the ADS Deepseeker that i got of mum it's a 1980 model and in good nick but using 6=9volt batteries is not on cheers.

I will put up some photo's of what i have started to make in the long weekend, too busy with work at the moment.
It is pretty easy to do with a voltage converter.

MartinM said:
rodagaster said:
MartinM said:

I will put up some photo's of what i have started to make in the long weekend, too busy with work at the moment.
It is pretty easy to do with a voltage converter.
Okay mate thanks for that looking forward to it .

Here is a photo of the contraption.
It is a four batterie pack with an voltage converter that makes 37Volt from 14.8Volt
The same goes for the 9Volt, this is converted from 7.4Volt to 9Volt
All with cheap ebay parts.
These two batterie packs go in a small case and then with three wires to a connector on the Garret.

1538030768_up_converter.jpg

Hi mate i had a look at the voltage convertor and i think you may be better off going with a smaller step up the 7.4v to 9v is okay but the 14.8v to 37v is a 22.2v difference ,and with only 4 batteries you wont have a big amperage also a fully charged li-ion like the 18650 is 4.2 v and you normally discharge to 3.7v you can go lower but you reduce the life of the battery ,as a example i have built a few packs that are 3 in series by 5 in parallel which gives a voltage range between 11.1v to 12.6v with a amp total of 21amp 2 of these packs together in series will give you 25.2v with 21amps and so on , and that's what i want to do with my garret i would love to get a wiring diagram of the machine then i will make a pack for it with the charging of li-ion you need a special charger but on ebay they are around $25.oo and called a b6-imax very easy to use i have put a couple pictures up so you can see what i'm talking about cheers .
1538046997_img_0256.jpg
1538047071_img_0255.jpg

Hi guys
I have finally built built a battery pack for the garret deep seeker it is 10s-2p with balance board for the 36 volt and 2s-2p with balance board for the speaker the 36 volt will be charged with a 36-42 charger for a hover board and the 2s-2p with a bmax charger
1574046744_sam_1206.jpg
1574046789_sam_1205.jpg

How did you guys go with this battery build, are your detectors still working ok?

Looking at doing the same for a frinds unit but was concerned with the fully charged voltage of 10x 3.7v, well the problem is that Li-ion batteris fully charged are approx 4.2v at fully charged for the first few min of use some can be a bit more.

the result at 10x4.2= 42v thats 6v higher then the 4x9v=36v battery voltage at 100%
jOyywQB.jpg

MartinM said:
Here is a photo of the contraption.
It is a four batterie pack with an voltage converter that makes 37Volt from 14.8Volt
The same goes for the 9Volt, this is converted from 7.4Volt to 9Volt
All with cheap ebay parts.
These two batterie packs go in a small case and then with three wires to a connector on the Garret.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10027/1538030768_up_converter.jpg

Hi Martin, how did you go with your DC-DC step up regulator did this work for you?

My concern with using dc-dc convertors is the high freq switching interfearing with the detectors opperation?

Hi mate i did no good with my battery pack solution for the Garret deep seeker hooked it up and nothing so in disgust i put the battery pack in a draw and that's where it's stayed for the last 2 years cheers

Latest posts