You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Mick Cov
02 March 2018 06:28 pm

Haha what a story Smokey.
It’s the party trick that could of been a disaster but because it wasn’t now it’s a pissa of a tale

1 user likes this post: Smoky bandit

RM Outback
02 March 2018 08:28 pm

Smoky bandit wrote:

Some may not believe but I found a live mortar in my back yard in the early 80s as well as over 50 live 50cal rounds...kept them for years..threw the mortar to mates at parties for a joke..then mum found it and called the cops ...who called the army .....they sectioned of the street and said it was live..holly f@#k I said..as they took it away. yikes thumbsup devil devil

What a good mum thumbsup lucky mum had some sense lol.

1 user likes this post: Smoky bandit

Smoky bandit
02 March 2018 10:53 pm

Jaros wrote:

You are a very lucky man. Phew!! yikes

Yes so true jaro's.. we still talk about it to this day..cant belive that it never went off yikes

No pain No gain..

Smoky bandit
02 March 2018 10:56 pm

Yes it would have taken out everyone at the party..And it was thrown around more than once...we laugh about it now though. thumbsup yikes

No pain No gain..

Rockhunter62
03 March 2018 08:58 am

Had a similar thing happen to me in Laos years ago. We were clearing an area of uxo so a Vietnamese crew could blast and crush gravel. Just standing there looking at a couple of detonator leads (unshorted) sticking out of the ground when the Vietnamese crew came over to tell me that the det was safe as it would not fire. One of the workers went to put a normal multimeter onto the leads to show me. thumbsdown I grabbed the multimeter and threw it onto the rocks and broke it. mad Another of their workers came wandering over with an unexploded bomblet in his hands. 8) Told him to go and place it back on the ground a reasonable distance from me just in case it went off when he put it down.

Closed the site down for the day, had the Vietnamese crew removed from site and organised the company bosses to try and educate the Vietnamese in the safe way of handling and using explosives. I was not liked and was forced to look over my shoulder after that incident. sad

That was just one story of many in my travels overeseas playing with explosives.

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

Rockhunter62
16 March 2018 07:22 am

Here is another reason why you don't muck around with uxo, and these were "trained" experts mad . Don't get me started.

Cheers

Doug

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/03/ … g-exercise

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

Westozadventures
29 May 2018 06:19 pm

Bump lol

detectors owned: Minelab gt16000, Garrett AT pro, Garrett ATX (sold), Minelab GPX5000 and Minelab equinox 800

Folgore_202
28 August 2018 09:37 pm

As someone who has done prospection in Northern France and Western Russia (near some famous vacation spots such as the Somme, the Chemin des Dames, Kursk and Volgograd, ex-Stalingrad), UXO stories are super common. And then we see the cultural differences : in France, if you stumble upon explosives, don't tell because you're not supposed to do metal detection here, but if you stumble accross it in a "normal" way, then call the police and they'll send an EOD squad. (fun fact : my wife's grandfather was given several dozen kilograms of surplus military explosives after the Algerian War in the 60s and was told to deal with explosives himself and not to bother the cops ; unexploded WW1 shells were THAT common). In Russian, you can call the police, but there may be someone in your group who finds it fun to try and blow up the thing by themselves. I'm surprised that I'm not the only surviving prospector in this country!

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

LoneWolf
Banned
Banned
28 August 2018 11:02 pm

There is a bushfire over in Germany ATM... With UXO going off as they fight the fire.... From a looong way back... skull

LW.....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

7.62marksman
26 September 2018 01:25 am

After what has happened lets Bump bump bump

Last edited by 7.62marksman (26 September 2018 01:25 am)

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----A disposal technician at a dead run outranks everybody

Smoky bandit
26 September 2018 07:09 am

As kids we used to through 22 shells into the fire and run like hell smile smile

No pain No gain..

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site