Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockrat, I assume you gave the answer out, can you nominate someone to ask a question so we try and get this topic up and running again.
Cheers
Manpa :D

Other families in the Upper Colo cemetery include: Blundell, Caterson, Gill, Gosper, Haberman, Hulbert, Jones, Phipps and the Simmons families, along with the Wards.

Now if that wasn't the question, I'm gonna feel like a goose. :)

Oh yay me! :D OK, give this one a shot, guys...

Who am I?

I was born in Scotland in 1822. At 14 years old, my family migrated to Sydney.

There, I became a qualified solicitor in 1847.

In 1850 I sailed to California and was trading in San Francisco when it was destroyed by fire.

I returned to Australia and went to the Bendigo diggings with my brothers in 1852, where I was a miner and an active political speaker there.

I was one of the seven guarantors for Ebenezer Syme who bought The Age, and was one of its early contributors.

In 1854 I was a prospering Melbourne solicitor and threw myself, pro bono, into the successful defence of the Eureka Stockade rebels, and was instrumental in achieving the miners right to vote, and land rights for them. I wrote The Land Bill that included the right to smallholding licences near goldfields for land up to 160acres.

I was a politician for 30 years until my death in 1885.

My brother-in-law, David, was one of the men on the defence team who defended Ned Kelly (albeit not very well, but he gave it a shot!).

Who am I?

Oh geez! What was that? 5 minutes?! I thought it was a tough one too!

Although, (splitting hairs) the spelling is James Macpherson Grant - and I know that, because he was my pop's great grandfather.

Well done Manpa - over to you, mate!

Cheers,
Megsy

Thanks Megsy, bit of history there in your family.
It was only easy because of the volume of clues you gave, drip feed us and you will keep us guessing / googling. :p

Ok, here we go, I was one of three built in the mid 1800s in Victoria, what am I and where am I?

Cheers

Latest posts