Super glue insted of stitches ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surgical glues are related to super glue, but not quite the same, they can cause heat on curing which is not too good for healing, as well as formaldehyde.

However, superglue can be used at a pinch.

It might be a good idea to get some surgical glue for the first aid kit, I reckon, along with some butterfly wound closures and some of that spray bandage.

Leukosan has surgical glue that is available from first aid suppliers, and maybe the chemist.

According to this reference, vet surgical glue may be a cheaper alternative!

https://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/superglue/

CTX, I'm a Dr, but an academic one, not a medical one. Actually, I'm a criminologist.

I do have an interest in medical matters (among a lot of other stuff) though, and am a dab hand at searching out information!

In this case I remembered reading somewhere that surgical glues were different to normal superglue, so I looked it up. I thought the information would be a useful contribution to the thread, so I shared it.

Have been using glue from the vets for a while now with great success and reckon Ive saved the hospital a few bob on cotton or what ever it is they use. :Y:

its an old trick surfers use when they are surfing coral reefs in the middle of nowhere...squeeze lime or lemon juice over the wound,( you will know you are alive when they do this, stings a bit..haha) then glue it up, youll be back in the water in a few hours....the big thing is to make sure the wound is clean, you dont want to seal nasties into your wound...Ive spoken with doctors about it and they say as long as the wound is clean its ok...

DrDuck said:
CTX, I'm a Dr, but an academic one, not a medical one. Actually, I'm a criminologist.

I do have an interest in medical matters (among a lot of other stuff) though, and am a dab hand at searching out information!

In this case I remembered reading somewhere that surgical glues were different to normal superglue, so I looked it up. I thought the information would be a useful contribution to the thread, so I shared it.

I've read exactly the same thing Doc. I wouldn't use a non-surgical glue on myself.

Latest posts