Recommendationd for where to dig around rubyvale area?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm mostly through my trip to Cape York, from Perth, and I plan on spending a day or two in the rubyvale area
on the way home to try and find some Sapphires. I've never been to this area before so would really appreciate any tips and recommended locations as I note the area is large.

From my googling I've read much of the wash in this area is really deep so not hand fossickable? The willows might have some shallower stuff?

Note, on the way up we had 2 days at the lava plains field. Spent a good few hours struggling with rock hard red clay but only found 4 very small pieces.

Cheers budgie

The people who find sapphires in the Rubyvale area do not generally tell where they find them other than to mention the common fossicking areas. It is not something that is readily given away. Rifle Range Road is producing some good size yellows.

Glenalva has shallow wash Budgie. To be honest I've never done real good there but other people have found some pearlers. I've cut stones for other people that came from there and they are quite nice, very light compared to the often dark colours from the main areas of the field.

Hey guys, thanks again for the tips. We've now left sapphire and are heading home to Perth but to provide a quick update. We cheated but found heaps of sapphire and some zircon!

We ended up buying the bags of dirt from the Gemini Caravan Park and Armfest and sieving them. I realise we're not going to strike it rich this way but that was never our intent. The bags provided a good couple of days entertainment, pulling out bombs and small Sapphires, many of which are cuttable so they'll be sent to Thailand when I get home. The rest will go in the tumbler.

I'll try to remember to post some before and after pics when I get a chance.

Cheers budgie

Latest posts