GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great

Ive got an SP01 , havent used it yet

I noticed on Pats website ( Steelphase ) the vid you did is there with the SP

Is he paying you royaltys ...lol

Dont know whether to get the Pats headphones or Twin speakers .

Ive been taking notes from this thread & around on the 7

Hey Chuky

When I had my 7000 I didn't try to keep it ultra smooth and quiet.

I found with the Zed that it basically 'talked' to me. You listen to what the ground is saying and targets pop out quite easily. I found if I tried to smooth the machine too much that I missed feint targets.

The best tip I can give is don't try to run it like a GPX. Two different beasts.

Good luck.

Trash said:
Great

Ive got an SP01 , havent used it yet

I noticed on Pats website ( Steelphase ) the vid you did is there with the SP

Is he paying you royaltys ...lol

Dont know whether to get the Pats headphones or Twin speakers .

Ive been taking notes from this thread & around on the 7

Haha, no royalties Pat is a mate. As for speakers or headphones, it comes down to personal preference. I much prefer headphones as I struggle to hear anything on the really windy days. I used to run speakers at the start. The first time I used headphones I could hear those faint little differences. Never went back to the speakers.

steelPHASE said:
Hey Chuky

When I had my 7000 I didn't try to keep it ultra smooth and quiet.

I found with the Zed that it basically 'talked' to me. You listen to what the ground is saying and targets pop out quite easily. I found if I tried to smooth the machine too much that I missed feint targets.

The best tip I can give is don't try to run it like a GPX. Two different beasts.

Good luck.
Thanks for he advice m8. Ill take this into consideration. Hopefully Ill have some yellow to post in the next week.

Nice one Chuky, I used to push my Zed a bit in the settings before I incorporated an Enhancer. Now with the sP01 I find it is better to get a very stable threshold as the SteelPhase does such a good job at lifting the real faint signals.

I do a lot of tweaking during each session but my basic go to settings are:

Hot Ground: General, Difficult, Sens 6-12, Volume 9, Low Smoothing, Ground Smoothing Off

Milder Ground: High Yield, Normal, Sens 6-11, Volume 8, Low or High Smoothing, Ground Smoothing Patch Locate.

I nearly always use Semi Auto ground balance and just keep an eye on the ferrite balance.

PhaseTech said:
Nice one Chuky, I used to push my Zed a bit in the settings before I incorporated an Enhancer. Now with the sP01 I find it is better to get a very stable threshold as the SteelPhase does such a good job at lifting the real faint signals.

I do a lot of tweaking during each session but my basic go to settings are:

Hot Ground: General, Difficult, Sens 6-12, Volume 9, Low Smoothing, Ground Smoothing Off

Milder Ground: High Yield, Normal, Sens 6-11, Volume 8, Low or High Smoothing, Ground Smoothing Patch Locate.

I nearly always use Semi Auto ground balance and just keep an eye on the ferrite balance.

Thanks Nenad

Are you a headphone user ..?

Anthony

Hi all

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Just wondering is the ground balance technique the same for all 3 ground balance modes (auto, semi auto and manual). Ive seen the vid on the mine lab website for auto only.

Cheers Col

Good question! Yep, basically when you squeeze the trigger this puts it into full auto / Quick Trak. Then when you release the button it goes into whatever is selected in the menu.

PhaseTech said:
Good question! Yep, basically when you squeeze the trigger this puts it into full auto / Quick Trak. Then when you release the button it goes into whatever is selected in the menu.

A question on ground balancing after a period of time Detecting ........

Does it need to be done again say after an hour or 2 hours ...?

Also does pumping the coil up & down , without the quick track button being pressed , do anything ..?

Thank you

Anthony

Auto - Balances the ground & Ferrite component, so the detector will hold the balance pretty well unless going through a big ground change, or wet ground etc.

Semi Auto - Balances the ground while searching, but the ferrite component is locked.

In my experience, when in Semi Auto, it seems to keep the Ferrite ring balanced for a lot longer, but I still check it regularly. Every 15 mins or so for starters, and if it is staying balanced, then less and less as the day progresses.

In both Auto and Semi Auto the detector is in continuous ground balance, so pumping the coil up and down will just balance the detector to that spot, and it's a good way to check if your ground balance is still in tune. It very rarely isn't, but doesn't hurt checking it every so often.

If in Manual Balance then nothing happens unless you squeeze the trigger. I would just do a full ferrite balance every time.
This is how I do it:

1. Check to make sure there are no targets
2. Place ferrite on ground
3. Squeeze and hold quick trak button
4. Sweep over the ferrite a few times, then a bit of ground, back over the ferrite, bit of ground.
5. Release trigger and sweep over the ferrite to make sure you are getting no response on it.

Depending on settings, you may not be able to balance the ferrite out entirely. But if you are getting a strong signal on it, then repeat above.

What would you do in auto ground balance PhaseTech?
Do you run in manual or auto?
I have always used auto myself but if manual is more optimal to run in i will try that next time im out :Y:

I havent done a GB in ages....
I just turn it on, leave it in auto and start walking...
Dunno if thats a good thing or a bad thing....
The areas I detect all are mostly similar ground and the zed seems stable...
Sometimes I give a few quick pumps to kinda set the balance and off I go.
Is there actually any benefit in doing a full GB if you are in auto??....

Latest posts